Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's better if I explain this, @gpseymour, I'm a better writer. :)

You know WHY there is no cable where we live? Because the cable companies looked at the area and decided it was too expensive to drag the cable this far up the mountain. And the dish is dicey - we live between two mountain ridges, and that makes lining up the satellite signal... entertaining.

The most laughable thing about this is - we are not that far from civilization. 20 minutes. Which makes it very disorienting for people coming to visit us. One moment they are in the 21st century, and a moment later... there is nothing around them but mountains, trees, with an occasional horse and cow thrown into the mix.
Not even 20 minutes from civilization. Maybe 7 to the nearest interstate exit and the usual kind of civilization that grows around them near cities.

And the nearest neighborhood with cable is about 3/4 of a mile away by road.

I feel you r pain. Our interne

I understand...we live in the sticks as well. We can't get cable either but we do have dish. But we have to travel about 6-7 miles to get cellular signal or 25 miles to nearest gas station.
Cell signal (at least with Verizon) is pretty good. We had HughesNet satellite internet for a while, but the scheme they used for metering was useless to us (at the time it was per-day metering). We're actually planning to get that service again to supplement our cellular - it's cheaper than the overage charges we've had the last three months.

Same here, one wrong turn off main street, and you are in a cow pasture.
But our mountains are not that high - and I live on top of one! :)
We actually have an antenna....
Haven't watched so much PBS in the last 20 years combined! :D
Part of our problem is we're partway up a slope, with another ridge right across from us, which makes it more difficult.

Part of our problem is we're partway up a slope, with another ridge right across from us, which makes it more difficult.

No worries....this has probably been the worst Superbowl in the last 20 years.

Same here, one wrong turn off main street, and you are in a cow pasture.
But our mountains are not that high - and I live on top of one! :)
We actually have an antenna....
Haven't watched so much PBS in the last 20 years combined! :D
See, when you have a dish or an antenna, it's better if you are on top of one. It's when you are stuck between the two ridges and the signal bounces if you are not properly aligned - that's when it stinks. On a positive side, we don't have any temptation whatsoever to watch the news or reality TV. ;)

I understand...we live in the sticks as well. We can't get cable either but we do have dish. But we have to travel about 6-7 miles to get cellular signal or 25 miles to nearest gas station.
Papa John's doesn't deliver to us. Or Domino's. Publix recently started delivering groceries to our area - so when we want to feel pampered, that's what we do. Order groceries. :smug:

Not all that busy in the ER tonight, but fully 60% of the patients are assaults.
Sadly, this is not atypical for holidays or big event days.
There are far too many people for whom having a good time involves getting drunk and beating up family and/or friends.

A cool idea for a thread this one, I may participate from time to time ;)
Why I love adventure/hidden object games: you can break into someone's house, totally vandalize it, but as long as you save the world in the end, you are still a hero. And crowbar is your favorite thing. :)
Ohhh did you ever play the Monkey Island series games AngryHobbit? Seriously, really really good fun haha. It's a point and click, its basically a wanna-be pirate adventure comedy game, I go back to it from time to time hehe.

Ohhh did you ever play the Monkey Island series games AngryHobbit? Seriously, really really good fun haha. It's a point and click, its basically a wanna-be pirate adventure comedy game, I go back to it from time to time hehe.
Oh, don’t. You’ll get sucked into the nonsense that goes on. Last Person is a very silly place.

And now...my morning.... I have a rather long, up hill, concrete driveway..... now think of your car windows on a particularly icy morning, and how hard it is to scrape them off....... that was my driveway.

Now have piles of ice crystals at the edges that I will snow blow up over the wall, after I return from getting the youngest to school

Oh, don’t. You’ll get sucked into the nonsense that goes on. Last Person is a very silly place.
Like Camelot...
monty-python-and-the-holy-grail.jpg

Nope, not familiar with that particular one. I started with the Myst and Zork series - back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. :) I play a lot of Dark Parables, Grim Tales, Fear for Sale, and Danse Macabre. Lunatics, haunted cemeteries, time-traveling families - good times.

Not all that busy in the ER tonight, but fully 60% of the patients are assaults.
Sadly, this is not atypical for holidays or big event days.
There are far too many people for whom having a good time involves getting drunk and beating up family and/or friends.
I am so sorry... I cannot imagine how you do it. I would have gone stark raving mad a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back