Journey to a new style...

Special forces train to kill by bullet and knife. They practice the technique, but don't actually kill someone until they do. But they practice under stress and with intent. Their skill is measured by gun target practice and partner drills with fake knife. This gives them the ability to do it for real (along with mental attitude/intent) even though they don't actually kill during practice.

Iaido metric is by expert visual judgement of technique and tameshi giri, actual cutting of a target.
Yes. Stress and with intent. Two things that sport combat provide. The stakes are lower obviously. But the stress is important. You need the stress.

Practice tameshi giri, by all means. I'm simply saying that a stationary straw target is different from a sentient, moving one.

What is a belt system if not a public declaration to a viewing audience that you’re this good at simulating killing someone in combat? People tie that belt on knowing that it’ll be perceived as a semiotic representation of your capacity to do harm to another human being.

How is that so different?
Good point. I personally don't think it is that different.

Getting new the next belt rank is definitely not what motivates me, no more than it is winning a contest to prove myself. To be honest, I never liked ranks or grades, not even in school or anywhere! And I don't say that because my grades were poor (on the contrary), it's because symbols sometimes pulls focus from their meaning. And two people can have same grade, and still be at very different levels, especially if you focus on the grade itself, which is often technically possible at the expense of what it is supposed to measure.

So grades or competitions are fine, as long as it does not become the whole thing, or are taken too seriously, then depth may be lost; then it becomes just like football. MA has a depth, which many sports, IMO does not.

"Symbols sometimes pull focus from their meaning." Well said! 👍
I've seen 1st degree black belts I wouldn't even give a brown belt to and higher dans whose depth of knowledge is mediocre at best. Once upon a time I could have some faith that the symbol of rank matched ability and understanding of the art. Nowadays rank to me holds no meaning until I can verify (by my own standards, of course :D).

But we are taught, in the Koryu (old school) at least, to have the serious intent to kill. Not superficially but controlled, murderous intent otherwise it’s said one is just waving a sword around. It’s a frame of mind and although I know I’m not killing anyone, at the end of a kata I always say in my mind, ‘Please rise to heaven/Buddha/made up deity of your parent’s choice’.
How would the average sword waver even know what serious intent to kill even is?

I loved Sean Bean's character in Ronin. He played the guy who acts like he thinks a high speed guy should act perfectly.

It just reminds me of training serious intent to kill if you have never really tried to kill someone.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230121-102750_Chrome.jpg

Well, I never thought my thread would ever go in this direction, as many, many threads have in the past, but here we are 😅. I don't mind honestly, if it spurs natural, constructive and thought-provoking conversation I'm all for it.

But anyway! A week and a half to go, I'm toning down my training (less volume, intensity) and trying to relax more. Semi-maintenance mode. Focusing on recovering, stretching, mobility, massage, and making sure I'm feeling good. Still quite exhausted (puppy styff, and lack of sleep has been a factor), had some pretty intense anxiety bouts thinking about what's to come but I'm working my way through it :)

Well, I never thought my thread would ever go in this direction, as many, many threads have in the past, but here we are 😅. I don't mind honestly, if it spurs natural, constructive and thought-provoking conversation I'm all for it.

But anyway! A week and a half to go, I'm toning down my training (less volume, intensity) and trying to relax more. Semi-maintenance mode. Focusing on recovering, stretching, mobility, massage, and making sure I'm feeling good. Still quite exhausted (puppy styff, and lack of sleep has been a factor), had some pretty intense anxiety bouts thinking about what's to come but I'm working my way through it :)
You’ve been very systematic and thorough in your approach. Imagine what your going to go through for your 2nd/3rd/4th Dan 😳

You're doing things right, you're gonna do great.

Latest Discussions

Back