Ive studied burning palm boxing
Western boxing
Wrestling
Wing chun
Black Snake Kungfu (instructor)
And creator of my own knife system STABX
I started in kartial arts when i was 12 ive been at it ever since
Welcome to MT

And a bit of a note...sigong does not mean what you think it means...it does not mean Grand Master or founder. It means Teacher's teacher. So in other words it means you taught your teacher, who then taught you

Welcome to MT

And a bit of a note...sigong does not mean what you think it means...it does not mean Grand Master or founder. It means Teacher's teacher. So in other words it means you taught your teacher, who then taught you
Thank you for the clarification

Welcome to MT

I've always heard the title of Soke used for a practitioner who has created their own system, or head of household

And if i used chinese as founder it would be Si-Jo
Nope, that is more ancestral teacher, may or may not me founder. Example for me it is pretty much anyone in Yang Style, Yang Family, prior to Yang Chengfu. It is not a title you give yourself
All Chinese martial arts has is Sifu/Shifu...Teacher

Thank you for the clarification
What needs to be understood is that the Chinese terms tend to describe a relationship between two specific people, and are not generally the simple equivalent of titles to be used broadly. Sifu can be used broadly as “teacher”, but still, someone is YOUR Sifu, or he is not. Other terms have less for wiggle room. If you call someone Sigung, he is the teacher of YOUR Sifu, he is your grandfather in kung fu. He may be Sigung to you, but I would never call him that because I am not in his downstream lineage, he is not my kung fu grandfather. Your Sifu would not call him Sigung; he would call him Sifu. So the same person could go be addressed differently, depending on the person. If I remember correctly, Sisuk is your Sifu’s classmate. He is like your uncle in kung fu. The same person would be Sifu to his own students, Sigung to the students of his student, Sihing (kung fu brother) to his classmates, and Sisuk to the students of his classmates. It is the specific relationship between those people, that mandate the term.

What needs to be understood is that the Chinese terms tend to describe a relationship between two specific people, and are not generally the simple equivalent of titles to be used broadly. Sifu can be used broadly as “teacher”, but still, someone is YOUR Sifu, or he is not. Other terms have less for wiggle room. If you call someone Sigung, he is the teacher of YOUR Sifu, he is your grandfather in kung fu. He may be Sigung to you, but I would never call him that because I am not in his downstream lineage, he is not my kung fu grandfather. Your Sifu would not call him Sigung; he would call him Sifu. So the same person could go be addressed differently, depending on the person. If I remember correctly, Sisuk is your Sifu’s classmate. He is like your uncle in kung fu. The same person would be Sifu to his own students, Sigung to the students of his student, Sihing (kung fu brother) to his classmates, and Sisuk to the students of his classmates. It is the specific relationship between those people, that mandate the term.
Sisuk (Shī shū) is your sifu's classmate, but a junior male class mate, Junior Uncle
Sibak (Shī bó) is your sifu's senior classmate, Senior uncle

Isn’t…Sibok, Mr Spock’s half brother?😳
That too.... but that's the Vulcan translation, and spelled differently that is Sibok, the English Cantonese equivalent is spelled Sibak..... but to cut down on the confusion I recommend, from now on when talking Vulcan we use Sibok.... when talking Chinese martial arts we go with 师伯.... that should make things easier, and cut down on the confusion.....

Welcome to MT

Odd that you would need to explain this to someone so experienced.

Back