Do you personally punch harder with bent arms compared to extended?

Punching is less complicated than kicking, but punching is still complicated. Yeah, I know, the key is to simplify. But it’s still complicated.

Whenever I hear an experienced and successful fighter say, “Man, so and can really punch.” I immediately want to study so and so’s punching.

We all know martial artists that look great on the bag or hitting air or doing forms but who sometimes have trouble applying their skill to resistance.

As someone experienced in blocking with his face I can attest that it’s all good. Keep working punches, brothers.

I talked to a karate fighter who participated in a study in which the karatekas had higher punch output when their straight punch arm was bent compared to extended. This was a surprise to them.
Round punches like the rear overhand or lead hook are often considered more powerful.

Could it be that there's greater bicep engagement when the arm is bent compared to straightened out?
A powerful punch involves the coordination of the whole body,

Also perhaps stronger wrist support at the point of impact?
Per Stuart McGill, contract -> relax -> contract (at point of impact) creates power.

For straight punches definitely extend fully for a stronger punch. Plus, more deceptive and harder to defend against.

Back