Close Quarter Knife Throws

Years ago, in another life, I carried a handkerchief.

I practiced throwing it into someone's face as a distraction-even sewed ball bearings into the corners, so it would spread properly.

I had occasion to use it this way, and it worked.

Of course, I was 15 years old......

Well its part of bartisu training, or something which they do. same with using a hat, there is also some depictions of using the hat as a shield.

Reminder to all MartialTalk members:

This is the "friendly martial arts community". Let's keep it that way in our posts, please.

Years ago, in another life, I carried a handkerchief.

I practiced throwing it into someone's face as a distraction-even sewed ball bearings into the corners, so it would spread properly.

I had occasion to use it this way, and it worked.

Of course, I was 15 years old......
Exactly.

Well its part of bartisu training, or something which they do. same with using a hat, there is also some depictions of using the hat as a shield.

I miss Don Cunningham, sometimes.....if you guys think I'm curmudgeonly, you should have seem this guy's posts!

Anyway, where do you suppose Barton-Wright got that little goodie?

Taiho-Jutsu

I miss Don Cunningham, sometimes.....if you guys think I'm curmudgeonly, you should have seem this guy's posts!

Taiho-Jutsu

Probably just logical to throw your hat at someone attacking you.

Probably just as logical to throw your hat at someone attacking you.

Fixed that for ya.
rolling.gif

I have a rather ;large head.

I didn't wear a hat much when I was 15.

Doug Marcaida has a excellent example video on using a baseball hat as a weapon, i can personally attest to practicing the usefulness and fun of these techniques

Doug Marcaida has a excellent example video on using a baseball hat as a weapon, i can personally attest to practicing the usefulness and fun of these techniques

I like that, but in this area (and I think in surrounding states) that would be illegal - classified, I think, as a slungshot.

Oh, cause of the beads in the back?
gotcha
same tactics can be used without, i dont have any in mine
Yes. And agreed - the same basic tactics work (with a slightly different effect) without them. I just saw that and wanted to point it out before someone decided it was a good idea to actually do. As always, folks need to check local laws before they do things like that. You couldn't even get into the courthouse I volunteer at with that hat on.

Fixed that for ya.
rolling.gif

I have a rather ;large head.

I didn't wear a hat much when I was 15.

Wait i thought the link at the bottom was part of your signature, pahahaha. Yeah he did in essence just branch out to basically everything he thought was remotely good.

There is a bicycle defence little snippet some people found as well. (not necessarily his but its the same period)

anyway this is getting rambily.

Yes. And agreed - the same basic tactics work (with a slightly different effect) without them. I just saw that and wanted to point it out before someone decided it was a good idea to actually do. As always, folks need to check local laws before they do things like that. You couldn't even get into the courthouse I volunteer at with that hat on.

Sap cap if anyone is looking to go all james bond.

Anyone watch the television series 'Peaky Blinders'? It's a crime drama about a gang in post First World War Birmingham UK, they are called peaky blinders because of the razor blades sewn into the peaks of their flat caps, they used them to slash their enemies faces causing the blood to run down and blind them...….

There are no circumstances which require throwing a knife at someone. This discussion reminds me of the one a few years back by the young person who insisted he kept his pockets full of dirt to throw into a bad guy''s eyes. Too many movies.
I can give you references for people carrying ground red pepper in their pockets to throw in the faces of attackers and victims. Whether or not you like it, it's happened and was effective.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Taiho-Jutsu
Barton-Wright mentioned it but it was also known from something called, imms, "Uncle Frank's Hat Trick." That said, the concept predates Barton-Wright by a few centuries. I recall seeing a Rapier play where the defender flings his cloak at the attacker.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

IMS, Fairbairn taught the Camp-X recruits to sew razor blades into the bills of their caps. Not sure where he learned it. Probably Shanghai.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Back