Cigarette smoking

It was difficult for me. But I do not like being told what to do. Not even by myself. My addiction made me quite angry.
I don't recall it being too bad, but it's been over 25 years. As I remember it, once I had decided I was an ex-smoker, any discomfort was more irritating than anything else.

I don't recall it being too bad, but it's been over 25 years. As I remember it, once I had decided I was an ex-smoker, any discomfort was more irritating than anything else.
I had pretty much the same experience. It might be harder though as you get older. God knows, now that I'm in my late 60s it's a whole lot harder to do things like lose weight and get fit ...even compared to when I was in my 50s. But then that has a lot to do with metabolism and hormones I suppose. 🤔

....and having joint issues, all my favorite forms of exercise like running and hill-walking cause me pain and injury now. :(

With smoking, I know they say it helps to quit regardless of age, but if you wait till you are old, a lot of the damage has been done: COPD, emphysema, high cancer risk, CAD, not to mention gum damage, bad teeth, premature aging of the skin, loss of taste and smell, bad breath, and general stinkiness.

...Oh and polluted surroundings. Ya know, overflowing ash trays, butts on the ground, stained and foul smelling curtains, even stained walls and windows. I've lost touch with an old friend and one time sparring partner who slipped into mental illness ...variously diagnosed over the years as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder.

The guy smoked constantly. When we met in our early twenties, were the same age and looked alike, almost like brothers. By the time we were in our early fifties, he looked like like he was in his 70's. As he went downhill, I would look in on him to make sure he was OK. His little apartment was always filled with overflowing ashtrays and the walls and windows were literally glazed with a yellow-brown varnish from all the smoke. If I stepped inside, even for just a minute, my clothes and hair would stink so bad I'd go home, shower and change.

Now, this guy couldn't really help himself. He was mentally ill. But for any sane person to live like that? Let's put it this way. When I first quit, I would occasionally bum a smoke in social situations. But, after seeing people deteriorate like that (even without dying of cancer or heart disease) ...well, now I won't touch a cigarette! :yuck:

Latest Discussions

Back