Cardio, flexibility and strength: Should I improve those three areas in that order?

Skaw

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll start training (probably Kyokushin, if not Judo or another Karate style) in September, but I want to improve physically to endure the toll of training.

I want to improve my strength, flexibility, and cardio, and I have read somewhere that the proper way to do it is to first improve your cardio, then flexibility, and finally strength.

The idea behind it is that you first improve your cardio so you can finish the class (1 hour, but well... it is Kyokushin), then flexibility to try to perform all the kicks and moves because Kyokushin has high requirements in that regard. Then, finally, strength.

Is it a sound idea to progress Cardio > Flexibility > Strength in that order? Should I improve them in a different order? Should I work on all three at the same time?

I would have said strength first because it takes longer.

But for hobbiest martial arts all three at once should be fine.
Thanks, I'll try alternate days of Cardio and Strength, with a bit of Yoga at the end each session.

I do kyokushin but I find any training outside the dojo boring. The only think i do outside the dojo is pushups and grip training and stretching. For "cardio" I would just go bananas on the heavy bag in the dojo for an hour. That gives cardio and trains power techniques/strenght at the same time. I like to "train" in a way that is as close to the real thing as possible. Sparring and heavy bag work is all i do. I need both. Sparring is more like the real thing, but heavy bag also allows you to let it all out.

I'd agree you're probably better improving them all off at the same time. Either alternate days between strength and cardio, or build cardio into your workout routine at the beginning/end. And make sure you're stretching every day.

If you're not a bodybuilder, none of the 'bulk then cut' advice applies to you. I should know, I've done beginner's strength programmes in the past and found out how difficult it actually is to get the added weight off.

Between lifting and cardio, do both if you can. But if you can only do one, then lift weights. Your martial arts training will provide you with the cardio that you need. Even if you weren't training in martial arts, lifting weights alone is always better than cardio alone (but both is always better than one, if that's an option).

I'll start training (probably Kyokushin, if not Judo or another Karate style) in September, but I want to improve physically to endure the toll of training.

I want to improve my strength, flexibility, and cardio, and I have read somewhere that the proper way to do it is to first improve your cardio, then flexibility, and finally strength.

The idea behind it is that you first improve your cardio so you can finish the class (1 hour, but well... it is Kyokushin), then flexibility to try to perform all the kicks and moves because Kyokushin has high requirements in that regard. Then, finally, strength.

Is it a sound idea to progress Cardio > Flexibility > Strength in that order? Should I improve them in a different order? Should I work on all three at the same time?

A common pitfall, although it probably doesn’t apply to you is the “I just want to get in a little bit better shape before I go to the dojo.”

To those that might suffer that - just go train, it will be okay.

Between lifting and cardio, do both if you can. But if you can only do one, then lift weights. Your martial arts training will provide you with the cardio that you need. Even if you weren't training in martial arts, lifting weights alone is always better than cardio alone (but both is always better than one, if that's an option).
To add to this, if the issue with lifting weights is getting to a gym/having time along with cardio, bodyweight workouts are a quick thing that can be done in your room, whenever you have spare time. A dedicated weight session is better, but if you aren't able to commit to that and for whatever reason really want to focus on cardio, doing bodyweight exercises a couple times a day will help in getting you to a decent base shape.

If you decide on judo, will your priorities change?
My priority right now is to being able to finish whatever class I pick. My first day (and 2 weeks) doing Hung Gar I couldn't even finish the 20-25 min warming up. I couldn't roll for 30 min either in BJJ the first weeks neither.

A common pitfall, although it probably doesn’t apply to you is the “I just want to get in a little bit better shape before I go to the dojo.”

To those that might suffer that - just go train, it will be okay.
I can relate to this, I am NOT a athletic person, I always hated borging excercises, "training", running tec. I just don't do it.

When I strated kyokushing, i was wondering, a bit overweight, having not done one pushup nor run a mile in 30 years, can i make it?

My first class, I went all in 200% and even during kihon i was putting efforts in like I was thinking i was blocking an elephant, and after 10 minutes i had max pulse and have to take a saftey break. I was excused as i was a beginer in my first class. The first month was a curve, but i was amazed to find that getting from there into managing the classes just fine was quite fast.

When I started i did 10 pushups and gave up, just a year later i can do 50 and still may have some to give if i push. I also found that just getting your max pulse up a few times a week, really does wonders. the easiest way to get my max pulse in in a lazy way, is first do 40-50 pushups, then 50 grip training, thne i do the same amount of squats. then i have max pulse.

It's like even after 30 years it gets the soot out of your exhaust pipe in a matter of weeks. I learned alot about my own body as well after starting karate. I just have to "wake up" my body. I didn't grow 5 times stronger, i just reactivated what i had already.

So just go, but don't except to shine in your vers first class, let the first month be a calibration routine.

Just go train. The conditioning will take care of itself.
I agree…the martial art practise itself is physical conditioning and it’ll adapt your body to that type of practise. Just keep at it and it’ll become manageable.

Back