Blood Flow Restriction/ Kātsu Training

I can see what you’re saying. I’m not sure I could do 10 sec eccentric/concentric phases of my leg press! 😳

I imagine my cartilages as if they were eggs. Regardless of the rate of change of load application, there will come a force that will shatter them. Anecdotally, I’ve never met an older lifter who hasn’t had knee issues but of course something else might’ve caused that.

Anyway, I do not squat with heavy weights…I have neither the need nor desire but I’ll try and circumvent potential damage by using BFR and much reducing the mass I’m pushing.

I can see what you’re saying. I’m not sure I could do 10 sec eccentric/concentric phases of my leg press! 😳
Maintaining good form to actual, deep, momentary muscular failure requires practice and grit. It also just takes some getting used to, but it becomes extremely meditative, it feels (and is) extremely safe, and it gets to be a fun challenge (for some of us). Plus, my target time for leg press is 1 minute, 1 set to complete failure, so I don't have to spend 20 minutes and multiple sets in misery to do it.
I imagine my cartilages as if they were eggs. Regardless of the rate of change of load application, there will come a force that will shatter them.
Lots of people see it this way, it's just not particularly accurate, at least not if you build up to it as you develop really solid form and experience with the movements and give your body time to recovery and adapt.

Anecdotally, I’ve never met an older lifter who hasn’t had knee issues but of course something else might’ve caused that.
Yeah, knee issues are just very common. In my experience most new clients I had over 40 listed knee problems on their intake form and most of them had never lifted before. My wife and I are a couple of the only people I know in our 50's who don't have knee problems. I attribute a lot of that to using this protocol and lifting regularly for the last 25 years.

Wouldn't progressively adding more reps/doing drop sets help your joints progressively accommodate the load? And if it's just about stimulating blood flow, wouldn't other methods work as well? (E.g. massages or tiger balm)? I'm ignorant on that matter so I'd be curious to know, but that whole BFR thing seems contrived to me.

By the way, if you look to reinforce your lower body's connective tissue, look up Chong Xie's hyperarch fascial training. I find it helpful.

Wouldn't progressively adding more reps/doing drop sets help your joints progressively accommodate the load? And if it's just about stimulating blood flow, wouldn't other methods work as well? (E.g. massages or tiger balm)?
Cartilage is avascular….it has no blood vessels so you cannot increase blood flow to it. It’s avascular nature is one of the reasons it heals so slowly and has very limited regenerative powers! Look after you knee cartilage!
I'm ignorant on that matter so I'd be curious to know, but that whole BFR thing seems contrived to me.
Athletes Blood Flow Restriction Training for Athletes: A Systematic Review - PubMed
Type 2 diabetes Effects of Blood Flow Restriction Exercise and Possible Applications in Type 2 Diabetes - PubMed
Injury rehabilitation Blood flow restriction training in clinical musculoskeletal rehabilitation: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed
Endurance training Blood flow restriction training and the high-performance athlete: science to application - PubMed
Osteoarthritis of knee Benefits of Resistance Training with Blood Flow Restriction in Knee Osteoarthritis - PubMed
I could go on. ….

I believe this person is respected in the area of muscular hypertrophy. Her he talks about BFR and chronic pain.

I asked around in my gym this morning and of the three or four people, nobody had heard of it! I think this is the issue. It’s been used since the 80s for rehabilitation where high loads are not feasible by the idea is counterintuitive to people 3ho don’t really understand the factors that produce muscular hypertrophy. It analogous to endurancecathletes training at altitude in order to trigger physiological mechanisms to produce more erythrocytes and myoglobin. In BFR training (BFRT) you’re reducing oxygen to muscle tissue, allowing metabolic byproducts of muscular contraction to accumulate around the muscles which tricks the triggering of physiological compensatory mechanism to overcome thes issue, including release of growth hormone which make muscle hypertrophy and become more (micro) vascular. Releasing the bands means these triggering biochemical flow to the rest of the body and produce beneficial effects elsewhere.

As an empiricist, I simply have to try it out. I’d be a Luddite not to!

My cuffs just arrived
964F7326-97FC-494A-9A5C-274D2F458AE3.jpeg

Cartilage is avascular….it has no blood vessels so you cannot increase blood flow to it. It’s avascular nature is one of the reasons it heals so slowly and has very limited regenerative powers! Look after you knee cartilage!

Athletes Blood Flow Restriction Training for Athletes: A Systematic Review - PubMed
Type 2 diabetes Effects of Blood Flow Restriction Exercise and Possible Applications in Type 2 Diabetes - PubMed
Injury rehabilitation Blood flow restriction training in clinical musculoskeletal rehabilitation: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed
Endurance training Blood flow restriction training and the high-performance athlete: science to application - PubMed
Osteoarthritis of knee Benefits of Resistance Training with Blood Flow Restriction in Knee Osteoarthritis - PubMed
I could go on. ….

I believe this person is respected in the area of muscular hypertrophy. Her he talks about BFR and chronic pain.

I asked around in my gym this morning and of the three or four people, nobody had heard of it! I think this is the issue. It’s been used since the 80s for rehabilitation where high loads are not feasible by the idea is counterintuitive to people 3ho don’t really understand the factors that produce muscular hypertrophy. It analogous to endurancecathletes training at altitude in order to trigger physiological mechanisms to produce more erythrocytes and myoglobin. In BFR training (BFRT) you’re reducing oxygen to muscle tissue, allowing metabolic byproducts of muscular contraction to accumulate around the muscles which tricks the triggering of physiological compensatory mechanism to overcome thes issue, including release of growth hormone which make muscle hypertrophy and become more (micro) vascular. Releasing the bands means these triggering biochemical flow to the rest of the body and produce beneficial effects elsewhere.

As an empiricist, I simply have to try it out. I’d be a Luddite not to!

My cuffs just arrived
View attachment 31754
Once when I was in the Marine Corps, I locked my knees while standing at the position of attention for too long, which cut off blood flow to my lower extremities. When I moved my knees, I passed out. It seems to me that restricting blood flow intentionally is about the nuttiest thing a person could do. Ask David Carradine.

Once when I was in the Marine Corps, I locked my knees while standing at the position of attention for too long, which cut off blood flow to my lower extremities.
Locking your knees cut of the blood flow to your lower extremities? Locking your knees which keeps your arteries straight and unkinked ‘cut off’ your legs blood flow? Do you do much reading Bill? Not Harry Potter, I mean school- level biology?
When I moved my knees, I passed out.
And standing in position for a long time had little to do with that?
It seems to me that restricting blood flow intentionally is about the nuttiest thing a person could do.

I’ll contact the authors of these paper and tell them what you said, immediately!

Ask David Carradine
Shall I dignify this, which is obviously a joke, with a response? 🤔

Back