B.A. in Martial Arts Studies.

I just don't know about this. What exactly would one do with a Bachelors degree in Martial Arts Studies? It seems to just be asking to spend four years of time and money on college and come out with no marketable skills to show for it.

I mean what job would it qualify you to get? MA instuctor? OK sure, anything else?

I think if your plan was to be a MA instructor for a living you would be better served by taking MA classes a few days a week and going to college for a degree in buisness, that was at least if your MA buisness / school doesn't work out, you at least are qualified for something else. Actually, I think you'd be better off either way with the buisness degree.

Not to be a spoil sport, but it just seems very impractical to me.

rmcrobertson said:
I wondered what was up, since they're the only accredited school that offers such a, "terminal degree."
Well, be careful...there aren't many in the U.S., but what about abroad? Aren't there such programs in South Korea, for instance?

Translation: it isn't a real job search. They want to hire one of their own people, and they've customized the ad so that the only person who can fit it is somebody who's already there. They're not supposed to be doing this, but it happens all the time with academic jobs...
Certainly a possibility--it does happen.

ginshun said:
I just don't know about this. What exactly would one do with a Bachelors degree in Martial Arts Studies? It seems to just be asking to spend four years of time and money on college and come out with no marketable skills to show for it.
Worst of all, I imagine that many 18 y.o. martial artists would find it an attractive option, then end up without marketable skills.

If it was a martial arts oriented athletic trainer's degree or phys. ed. degree, that might afford some protection.

An elective course in Martial Arts sure, a degree, seems pretty useless to me. When I was an undergraduate student there was this one guy who taught a martial arts class at my University, most of what he taught was wrong pertaining to martial art's history.

A bachelors in Martial Arts Studies will probably get you nowhere, unless you 1.) Already have an established career and just want this degree for fun, or 2.) Have your own martial arts studio and want this to further your knowldege. And with respect to the latter, I d still favor a business degree. I too am worried that the younger kids will major in something like this and 4 years down the line have absolutely nothing to show for it.

RRouuselot said:
Sorry to be a “kill joy” but these martial arts degree programs always make me a bit nervous. This is for several reasons…..I often see biased historical information being propagated and I am wondering how much of that will carry over into academia.

I notice one of the Profs teaching is Korean and a 7th dan in TKD…..are we going to get the “TKD is a 2000 year old MA” lesson? Hopefully not.

I would love to see some sort of martial arts studies in university but not at the expense of having people learn a lot of inaccurate information. By doing that it would give more power to some of the myths and fantasies that are common in the MA.

True but you see that kinda crap in all circles especially in pollysci.

V/R

Rick

good to see this becoming more common. i know it's a common major in asia. also, my capoeira instructor had a degree in capoeira (although i think it was a focus of his phys ed instruction degree -- his english was only so so and i often misunderstood him).

to be honest, though, anybody wanting a career in the martial arts would probably be better off going to dave kovar's promac (professional martial arts college). it focuses on the business side of running a martial arts school as well as the art and history. do that and then pursue an mat and you're looking at all the skills you need to run a good dojo.

Back