When do you say no?

I personally feel as an instructor it is my right to ask someone to leave that I do not wish to teach. We are so scared fo what people will think and being politicially correct that at times it is necessary to just say no.

Inthe past I turned people away because I did not like their attitude during the sit down meeting with them. I would rather tell someone no and risk a law suit for discrimination than be sued later because I taught this person how to maim someone and knew it was the wrong decision.

I have turned perspective students down before because of their views of what they expected out of themselves, their instructor, the class and the art itself! Yes, we teach ( my school has combined with the local Wu Shu Li, And Lung Ch'uan Schools) burtal self defense, yet we do not teach the student to out-right break the law by injuring someone unless it is absolutely necessary in defense of self. If i wanted to train someone to kill and maim i would go back to being a drill seargent. The instructor at the wu shu li school is prior special forces and my sifu. So, our emphasis is on self protection only in self defense because we both have had the experience and seen the results of our having to injure someone in this worst senerio capacity. I perfer not teaching children, though i will not hesitate to teach mature young promising adults. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

just to be safe, post that sign stating that you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone...

Tarabos:
we have large and small, old and young (some very old). we have a young student with down syndrome that comes in with his father as well.

My instructor has recently taken my son-born with Spina Bifida and in a wheelchair-as a student. My son told me several months ago that he wanted to learn some martial arts. I told him to really think about it, and we'd talk again. I gave him some simple exercises to do in his wheelchair. I used the fact that he worked on these exercises for over a month as an indication that my son was serious. So I approached my instructor, we worked out a training schedule and goals, and my son started two weeks ago. He has practiced everything he has been asked to, and shows a very good attitude towards learning the arts, so I believe that he will continue to learn. I told my son that if he decides he no longer wants to do it, to let me know and that I would not be mad or anything, and he could quit. I also told my instructor that if he felt that there was something stopping my son from going any further, to let me know. So far, everything is going along well. My son watches me work through my routine's, and I help him with his, if he has a question or problem. I don't know how far my son will go, but any progress is better than not trying at all. :)

As Pop says, we allow any one. A new student comes in, Pop sits down with him or her and chats asking questions getting to know the person. I am usually in the dojo teaching, so I don't usually know what is going on. But I don't really think we have turned anyone away that really is seriuos about learning from us. Many stop coming after they find out that they can't learn what they want right away, but hey, that is life.
If a person is really interested and shows the desire to learn, Pop works something out if they are short on money. Pay a little now, pay more when you can.
I mean, how are you going to pass on the teachings if you turn the students that really want to learn away just because they are a little short on funds that month?
It is give and take. And as for the medical conditions side of the thing, why turn someone away that has a medical problem? Long as they are honest about it, then proper precausions can be taken.

In my 25 years, I have seen all kinds walk through my doors looking for instruction. Money has nothing to do with my decisions, that's not the reason i started teaching and it's not the reason i continue to teach. i look at it this way, if you can endure the pain in your stomach after doing a lot of sit up's, if your willing to go through the sweat and tears to achieve your goals, then you want to learn, those looking for short term results give up very quickly and walk out. I have thrown people out before but not serious students, people come in off the street and "challenge" my self or my students to a fight or something stupid like that. In my opinion martial arts is an excellent way to reform those with flaring tempers or bad attitudes, it is my job to form them to show them the path. If they come back after the first lesson they usually will stick around for awhile, i've had clumsy uncordinated people,and pushy abnoxious people all who later became excellent fighters with excellent attitudes, i live in a fairly small town and word gets around quickly, i tell them right off, if i ever hear of any of my students starting any troule or even getting in any trouble you deal with me.

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

1 thing to keep in mind...if you reject someone due to gender, sexual preference, religious preference, etc, you may face legal action.

Its one thing if the student causes problems. Its another if its because of a predjudice. At least in the US. I believe Canada is similar.

I believe this also is more applicable to a school, than private instruction.

Personally....I'd drop a student who has no respect for me or his classmates or the dojo. A violent temper, poor control, intimidation tactics, etc would also be cause for dropping.

I'll go with what was said in the last paragraph above!:asian:

Back