What to do?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a 3rd dan black belt in TKD and want to do something else, I want to LEARN another martial art and don't know what to choose, I have the following martial arts in my town:

1.-Karate Do Shotokan.
2.-Judo.
3.-Aikido.
4.-BJJ.

About BJJ it's a n ew dojo, I don't know the sensei but what I have been told he came twice a week from another city and has an aprentice giving classes so well....

I've been talking with the judo sensei and he told me he's sport oriented, not a bad thing but an old fa..t 47 years old like me it's not interested in tournaments, howevev Judo can be nice.

Aikido seems nice to me I was atending a few clases some time ago but nothing to kill for.

Well I want to learn a martial art to get hook on like I did in TKD and I am a self defense waco with strong feelings to the ancient martial arts.

Please feel free to coment and advise me.

Manny

Best bet is to go try them all for a few classes and see what "fits" I'd hate to recommend one and you and the instructor just don't get along. Or its just ok and you stay and you miss out on one of the others thats a great school

Yep. Try them all. Your experience won't just depend on the art. It'll depend on the instructor, your classmates, the whole atmosphere of the school. See which one clicks for you.

You've asked this same question a number of times... I don't suppose the answers will have changed any.
Go check them all out and see which one "fits" best. I recall you studied at the Aikido dojo for a while. Any reason why you stopped? If it was a good it, go back there. I think you also spent some time at a Kenpo dojo and the Shotokan dojo, didn't you? The Shotokan will be the closest to the TKD you train in now, which (to my mind) makes it the least attractive option if you're wanting to learn something new.

Shotokan is VERY similar to TKD. Its not exactly the same art, but TKD was derived from it. If you're looking to do something different, it might not be the best choice.

I would personally recommend Judo or Bjj.

Don't be scared off by the sport aspect of Judo. Just because its a sport doesn't mean that it won't kick your butt in training, or that you can't apply Judo knowledge to self defense. Judo is by far the most brutal and painful martial art I've ever trained in, and it should be a complete departure from your TKD training.

Additionally, don't be scared off by an "apprentice" teaching the Bjj class. If the apprentice is of appropriate rank (purple belt or higher) and a black belt is checking up on him/her, you'll be trained just fine.

From my uneducated viewpoint, I would say match up you're assets to each and find out what fits. It maybe one, it maybe none. You are a 3rd Dan, plenty of scope to experiment. You have the core and the skill set. Experiment IMHO.

I am a 3rd dan black belt in TKD and want to do something else, I want to LEARN another martial art and don't know what to choose, I have the following martial arts in my town:

1.-Karate Do Shotokan.
2.-Judo.
3.-Aikido.
4.-BJJ.
I agree with folks recommending that you try something very different from TKD. That rules out Shotokan in my opinion. As others have said, a grappling art like BJJ or Judo might complement your TKD very nicely, but also could be tough on your body since you are not a kid anymore.

On the other hand, you could go in a completely different direction. Try something like Wing Chun, or perhaps a weapons art like Escrima. OK I admit bias since I love both these arts. Regardless, it seems like there should be somebody in your area with knowledge of those arts. I mean Veracruz is a major city.

OK I admit I haven't been to your town in a very long time ...nearly 45 years. Back then, there were electric trolleys downtown. Kids used to jump on the back bumper and hang on to ride for free. Cool. Dangerous but cool. Good beaches too. You know it shouldn't be that hard to get somebody to come in and give a seminar. If you got a group together and could help pay travel expenses, some folks would teach for next to nothing, just for a vacation. Worth a try. Our group has brought in people like that. And I've gone elsewhere to present. PM me if you want suggestions.

Manny, the greatest thing in life a person can have is choice.

Go check them out, several times. It will probably be fun.

I just remembered that you were worried about injury because of your age. That being the case, I'd recommend Bjj over Judo, because its far easier on your body.

Try them for yourself and see which one gets your "groove" better than the rest. Ultimately it's your call. I could have told you to pair your TKD with Karate, but then that'd be my preference as an artist and wouldn't necessarily be the same case for you.

So give them all a chance and maybe attend a class or two. After you've gotten the feel of them and see which one works for you better than the others, then you'll have your answer. :)

Cheers

You've asked this same question a number of times... I don't suppose the answers will have changed any.
Go check them all out and see which one "fits" best. I recall you studied at the Aikido dojo for a while. Any reason why you stopped? If it was a good it, go back there. I think you also spent some time at a Kenpo dojo and the Shotokan dojo, didn't you? The Shotokan will be the closest to the TKD you train in now, which (to my mind) makes it the least attractive option if you're wanting to learn something new.

Thank you very much for answering, I will try to answer your quetions because I want to give you more data. Yes I did Kenpo karate for a year it was something very positive however I had to choose (because many things) because I could not do two martial arts at the same way (because of medical proble m with my feet) and I choose to stick with TKD because this is the martial art I've been doing since I was a teen. Yes I atended a few aikido clases but could not empty my cup, I am a striker and I compared (wrong) aikido with the tkd I've been doinf for many years, Shotokan Karate just once a month and as you know in some points Shotokan is like TKD.

My main problem is to not get rid of TKD and start a new martial art.

So I can return to Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker) or go to aikido again.

Let's see how things tirn the new year 2015.

Manny

1.-Karate Do Shotokan.
2.-Judo.
3.-Aikido.
4.-BJJ.

About BJJ it's a n ew dojo, I don't know the sensei but what I have been told he came twice a week from another city and has an aprentice giving classes so well....

I've been talking with the judo sensei and he told me he's sport oriented, not a bad thing but an old fa..t 47 years old like me it's not interested in tournaments, howevev Judo can be nice.

Aikido seems nice to me I was atending a few clases some time ago but nothing to kill for.

Well I want to learn a martial art to get hook on like I did in TKD and I am a self defense waco with strong feelings to the ancient martial arts.

Manny
Let me add a monkey wrench... You're in Mexico City, as I recall? I think there's a Bando Club down there. If you're interested, I'll confirm and see if I can send you contact info.

Let me add a monkey wrench... You're in Mexico City, as I recall? I think there's a Bando Club down there. If you're interested, I'll confirm and see if I can send you contact info.
I live in Veracruz right un the midle pf gulf of mexico.
Manny

1.-Karate Do Shotokan.
2.-Judo.
3.-Aikido.
4.-BJJ.

Manny

If I were you I would go with one of the grappling styles such as the BJJ or the Judo since you're already well versed in a striking style so I would recommend a grappling style but that's just me.

And you're not old. Now days, you don't reach middle age until you're in your 50s or so.

I live in Veracruz right un the midle pf gulf of mexico.
Manny
Sorry; got your location mixed up. I can still check, but I'm pretty sure the Bando Mexico group is located in Mexico City.

Thank you very much for answering, I will try to answer your quetions because I want to give you more data. Yes I did Kenpo karate for a year it was something very positive however I had to choose (because many things) because I could not do two martial arts at the same way (because of medical proble m with my feet) and I choose to stick with TKD because this is the martial art I've been doing since I was a teen. Yes I atended a few aikido clases but could not empty my cup, I am a striker and I compared (wrong) aikido with the tkd I've been doinf for many years, Shotokan Karate just once a month and as you know in some points Shotokan is like TKD.

My main problem is to not get rid of TKD and start a new martial art.

So I can return to Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker) or go to aikido again.

Let's see how things tirn the new year 2015.

Manny

There is no reason you need to give up TKD just because you take off some time to get a BB in another art. Many people do that. When I was in Korea, TKDers where often encouraged to attain a BB in another art after they had attained a 3rd Dan in TKD, just so they could be sure TKD was the art they really wanted to commit to the rest of their life. Any of the 3 grappling arts you mentioned should be worth while. Just try them all and see that interests you.

Thank you guys, I am not leaving TKD however is not my personal priority, I will go dojang to teach twice a week and I think I will do another martial art twice a week too. It seems Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker) is wining because I have tried and liked, I did Kenpo for one full year and liked, yes is not a grapling art but it uses hand techs adn kicks too (in a diferent way TKD does) and have good concepts, I made friends there and knew all the guys it has contact and lots of self defense techs. Aikido could be a nice martial art too and I have vnot erased yet of my mind so I think it will be a thing of try and see.

Manny

Boxing, krav maga, wing chun, wrestling, Filipino martial arts are your best bets:)

Latest Discussions

Back