What Are You Reading?

I mostly read scientific papers online, but the last MA book I bought was tao of jeet kune doo just because i wanted to see what it was like, and it was a terrible book that I will not finish:arghh:
The last non-MA book I bought and read was Time reborn

I recentely read this interesting paper (which is somewhat in line with the reasoning in the above book)

Law without law: from observer states to physics via algorithmic information theory​

"...universal induction determines the chances of what any observer sees next. That is, instead of a world or physical laws, it is the local state of the observer alone that determines those probabilities. Surprisingly, despite its solipsistic foundation, I show that the resulting theory recovers many features of our established physical worldview: it predicts that it appears to observers as if there was an external world that evolves according to simple, computable, probabilistic laws. In contrast to the standard view, objective reality is not assumed on this approach but rather provably emerges as an asymptotic statistical phenomenon..."
https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.01826

I mostly read scientific papers online, but the last MA book I bought was tao of jeet kune doo just because i wanted to see what it was like, and it was a terrible book that I will not finish:arghh:
What was so bad about it? I’m intrigued.
The last non-MA book I bought and read was Time reborn

I recentely read this interesting paper (which is somewhat in line with the reasoning in the above book)

Law without law: from observer states to physics via algorithmic information theory​

"...universal induction determines the chances of what any observer sees next. That is, instead of a world or physical laws, it is the local state of the observer alone that determines those probabilities. Surprisingly, despite its solipsistic foundation, I show that the resulting theory recovers many features of our established physical worldview: it predicts that it appears to observers as if there was an external world that evolves according to simple, computable, probabilistic laws. In contrast to the standard view, objective reality is not assumed on this approach but rather provably emerges as an asymptotic statistical phenomenon..."
https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.01826
I’m going to get you a subscription to Playboy. The articles are great.

What was so bad about it? I’m intrigued.
First I have no experience with MA-books, beyond our "kata-book". So perhaps the problems are my expectations was too high. I basically only read science books otherwise. The kata book for each kata lists the most notable bunkais and a detailed step by step guide. My problem with the kata book, is that it's only about how and no why. So perhaps the problems are my expectations was too high.

What I like about the tao of jeet kunde do book is that it at least has some rational constructing principles to combat, but that it should be adoptied to contex (ie yourself) - this is good but i had too high hopes, the whole book was a mix of some nice stufff with bit with LOTs of mumbo jumbo and philosophical quotes that puts me off quite badly, also the design is probably a result of somone else putting together bruce lees notes and hits own sketched pictures.

First I have no experience with MA-books, beyond our "kata-book". So perhaps the problems are my expectations was too high. I basically only read science books otherwise.
Yes I’m much the same. Why read story books when reality is so much more interesting?
The kata book for each kata lists the most notable bunkais and a detailed step by step guide. My problem with the kata book, is that it's only about how and no why. So perhaps the problems are my expectations was too high.
I think this could be because there is no definitive ‘why’ in the MA.
What I like about the tao of jeet kunde do book is that it at least has some rational constructing principles to combat, but that it should be adoptied to contex (ie yourself) - this is good but i had too high hopes, the whole book was a mix of some nice stufff with bit with LOTs of mumbo jumbo and philosophical quotes that puts me off quite badly, also the design is probably a result of somone else putting together bruce lees notes and hits own sketched pictures.
Your analysis doesn’t surprise me. My feeling is that the Bruce Lee was a great exponent, but not a great thinker and devoid of interesting ideas.

Some of the very best MA books I’ve read have been on arts other than my own such as ‘Illuminated Spirit - Conversations with a Kyudo Master’ and ‘The Way of Salt’ (Sumo), the latter having a chapter entitled ‘Shihan -sitting at the master’s feet’ which is the best explanation of the differences in teaching/learning styles between Japan and the West, I’ve ever come across.

Your analysis doesn’t surprise me. My feeling is that the Bruce Lee was a great exponent, but not a great thinker and devoid of interesting ideas.
I enjoy advise from others and pointers to information, but prefer to do the "thinking part" myself, as it seems noone can think on behalf of me anyway.
Some of the very best MA books I’ve read have been on arts other than my own such as ‘Illuminated Spirit - Conversations with a Kyudo Master’ and ‘The Way of Salt’ (Sumo), the latter having a chapter entitled ‘Shihan -sitting at the master’s feet’ which is the best explanation of the differences in teaching/learning styles between Japan and the West, I’ve ever come across.
I'll make a note of these, thanks!

I enjoy advise from others and pointers to information, but prefer to do the "thinking part" myself, as it seems noone can think on behalf of me anyway.

I'll make a note of these, thanks!
This is excellent too…because I translated it!
B313CE61-5BC0-44B3-A865-EBE8E8650BE2.jpeg

Many of the principles and ideas in this book are applicable to other martial arts. Message me your postal address and I’ll send you a copy, if you like.

I'm reading the adventures of Sherlock Holmes by sir Arthur Conan doyle. It's Sherlock Holmes short stories. I also read alot of comics.

I don't believe I have ever read a Sherlock Holmes book. Which one would you recommend? How are the short stories?
This is my first one too. There are full length novels like the one @Gyakuto recommended. But there are also short stories like the anthology I'm reading. The short stories are very very good so far, I like them. I watch alot of mystery stuff like unsolved crime type shows on TV, on TV I usually have the case solved 10min in the show and I'm like 90% correct most of the time, in the Sherlock book I've never been correct yet. The writer did a great job on these short stories. If you like detective type mysteries i think you would like this book. Once I finish reading this one I'm going to look into getting some of his novels.

Latest Discussions

Back