Weird fainting feeling during training

... and then immediately relax and go back to normal breathing once you've absorbed the hit.

This and what Shai Halud and RTKDCMB said. Except you need to get serious about breathing exercises. The benefits in gi and breathing in general don't come overnight. But when they come, many things fall into place.

Think what would happen if you were in a real fight and got kicked like that. Your ability to kiai, out loud or silently, should come into play. If you are holding your breath, that isn't happening. You would also instinctively move back to keep your balance. Why not in practice?

As to gi, I believe in it, and have experienced it. I have found that in times of stress, I move into a gi breathing mode without even thinking. I also breath better at all times. I know not everyone believes in gi. If you don't, please don't hijack this thread. Just accept that you and I have different beliefs and experiences and let it go. Let the OP make up his own mind of it. I would still recommend a continuous regimin of breathing.

This and what Shai Halud and RTKDCMB said. Except you need to get serious about breathing exercises. The benefits in gi and breathing in general don't come overnight. But when they come, many things fall into place.

Think what would happen if you were in a real fight and got kicked like that. Your ability to kiai, out loud or silently, should come into play. If you are holding your breath, that isn't happening. You would also instinctively move back to keep your balance. Why not in practice?

As to gi, I believe in it, and have experienced it. I have found that in times of stress, I move into a gi breathing mode without even thinking. I also breath better at all times. I know not everyone believes in gi. If you don't, please don't hijack this thread. Just accept that you and I have different beliefs and experiences and let it go. Let the OP make up his own mind of it. I would still recommend a continuous regimin of breathing.

Did you mean "qi" rather than "gi", or is this some alternate spelling I haven't come across yet? I've seen "qi", "chi", and "ki" before.

Yeah, regardless of your feeling about qi, breathing is important. I tell my students that breathing in BJJ should be pretty much the same as your breathing in a yoga class.

Thanks all for your answers!
I've been to a doctor and more serious issues were ruled out. She agreed it might have to do with improper breathing or with the fact that I don't eat before training.

SHAI HULUD, Tony, thx for the input, I'll try this breathing technique next time. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only to experience this kind of thing!

Did you mean "qi" rather than "gi", or is this some alternate spelling I haven't come across yet? I've seen "qi", "chi", and "ki" before.

Yeah, regardless of your feeling about qi, breathing is important. I tell my students that breathing in BJJ should be pretty much the same as your breathing in a yoga class.
I agree. Breathing technique is crucial in combat performance. This approach to breathing's prominent in Russian Systema as well.

Reverse breathing (in layman's terms, "breathing from your gut") is also appears in strength training - part of bracing your body for short bursts of extraordinary strength. It's a subtle point, but I find that sometimes it makes all the difference in MA training, Qi or no Qi.

Yes, there are different words or writing methods, depending on the school, or more likely the origin of the art taught at a particular school. In Korean, it is pronounced more with what sounds like a 'g' sound than a 'k' sound; it is not hard nor explosive. I usually use that spelling based on that. AFIK, 'qi' and 'chi' are simply different methods for writing the same word. If not, someone correct me.

Any way, we mean the same thing with any of those four words.

Thanks all for your answers!
I've been to a doctor and more serious issues were ruled out. She agreed it might have to do with improper breathing or with the fact that I don't eat before training.

SHAI HULUD, Tony, thx for the input, I'll try this breathing technique next time. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only to experience this kind of thing!
I was thinking it's possibly dehydration.

Back