Trekkies blast new Star Trek film as "fun, watchable"

That's another reason I loved Enterprise. The ship looked like it fit in with current gun ships and nuclear subs. Cramped quarters, everything piled on everything, etc. It felt closer to what I think a space ship would be, every inch necessary, not wasted, the ship pared down the essnetials. My one complait with it is that they didnt go far enough, they should have taken some Clancy in fluence.

I loved Enterprise. They barely had phasers (Phase Pistols) and the transporter was a bit dodgy, so they couldn't they couldn't exploit that device excessively. Thank God, no holodec -- I got so sick of the holodec stories on Voyageur. They also had no Prime Directive, or even a plan -- Archer didn't have the same moral certainty as Kirk and Picard. He was often working on impulse. The last two seasons had these wonderful long story lines.

Also, for my money Enterprise had the best fight scenes.

I guess that things like the timbre of voices are very much going to be part and parcel of how we react to a series. The only time Janeway's voice got a little annoying for me was those times when the ship was 'shaking' and that translated through into a grating vibrato.

Speaking of Janeway, here's a clip of Geneviève Bujold ill-fated effort as Captain of Voyageur. The Canadian-born actress left two days into filming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I give much of the credit of DS9 to Ron Moore, the same guy who brought us the spectacular Battlestar Galactica. You can see a lot of that starting to germinate in DS9.

I loved the USS Defiant on DS9, they basically outfitted themselves a gunship to battle the Dominion. That was so modern navy to me, I loved it.

And Andy, JMS's skills writing long term stories for ensembles came from his work in comics. Though when it came to his work on Spider-Man, he wrote a 3 year long story that became pretty much the most hated storyline in the character's history and is not considered apart of canon anymore (The Amazing Spider Man #471-545, Fantastic Four - #527-#541, Thor July 2007 - now).

I loved Enterprise. They barely had phasers (Phase Pistols) and the transporter was a bit dodgy, so they couldn't they couldn't exploit that device excessively. Thank God, no holodec -- I got so sick of the holodec stories on Voyageur. They also had no Prime Directive, or even a plan -- Archer didn't have the same moral certainty as Kirk and Picard. He was often working on impulse. The last two seasons had these wonderful long story lines.

Also, for my money Enterprise had the best fight scenes.
Oh I would absolutely agree with the realness of Enterprise. And but for me, when I watch sci-fi, I expect a little more suspension of that realness :)
Jenna

I like Star trek original and Next Generation Patrick Stewart is a great actor and the cast and storyline are awesome. I never really got into Deep space nine or Voyager I don't mind Enterprise because I like Scott Bakula(Quantum leap fame) The new movie has a lot of razzle dazzle but I am wondering how good the storyline will be.

I can't agree with Jenna's appraisal of Captain Janeway's actions tho'. With the proviso that I haven't seen all the seasons, her decisions always seemed to me to be for the benefit of her ship and crew and she played the hand she was dealt. She was very much a Captain in the old mould, isolated from her 'country' and empowered to make any political or miltary choices she considered to be in the interests of her ship.

As ever, character judgements are in the eye of the beholder. Where one sees machievellian arrogance, I see projected confidence and skilled political negotiation (essential on any ships bridge).
Hey Suke :) Yes, of course it is all subjective, I would certainly seek no serious argument over personal taste :) I would just imagine that as a military leader, Picard is the leader of integrity that I would hope for whereas Janeway is what I think I would end up with :)

Credit to all the writers I say for keeping the common threads and but urging the various incarnations to be almost entirely different from each other. I guess when a formula is altered some will turn away and others will come in :) And the characters in each of the ST variants (post TOS) are I find always well drawn and believably flawed :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Actually I give much of the credit of DS9 to Ron Moore, the same guy who brought us the spectacular Battlestar Galactica. You can see a lot of that starting to germinate in DS9.

Galactica is quite astonishing.

Best Movie – First Contact.
Best series – DS9
Best Captain – Sisko
Best first Officer – Chakotay
Best Medical – Bones.
Best Engineer – Scotty.
Best Science officer – Spock.
Best Helmsman – Paris.
Best Security – Worf.
Best Ship – Defiant.
Best Episode – DS9, season 6, episode 19, In the Pale Moonlight.
Best villain – Khan.
Hottest Character – 7 of 9
Most annoying character – Wesley Crusher.

Voyager ... 1 phrase... 7 of 9
Enterprise ... 1 word... T'Pal

Those two shows were ok in my book...

Best Movie – ST 2, Wrath Of KAHN!
Best series – DS9
Best Captain – Picard
Best first Officer – Mr Bad-*** himself Riker!
Best Medical – Beverly Crusher
Best Engineer – O'brien (way better on DS9 than on TNG)
Best Science officer – Spock
Best Helmsman – Chekov
Best Security – Worf, oen of my great influences
Best Ship – Defiant or Enterprise NXO1, I just prefer the more military, less hotel in the sky ships/
Best Episode – DS9 6/19 "In the pale moonlight." War, espionage, polital wrangling, lies, very cold war.
Best villain – Jem Hadar!
Hottest Character – T'pol
Most annoying character – Wesley Crusher

I'm loving this topic.

I had seen the Bujold performance before but it was a fairer comparison to see it with sound and FX edited in :tup:.

I don't know why Genevieve auditioned for the role really. Somewhat like Sir Alec Guiness in Star Wars, she had no love of the genre and indeed derided it. Before I ever saw the raw cut, I had whistfully wondered what Voyager would have been like with her in it (having positive memories of seeing her in "Coma") - then I was glad we got Kate instead :D.

Best Movie – ST 3 (for having a sense of humour)
Best series – Enterprise
Best Captain – It has to be Kirk, for acting we go with Archer or Picard
Best first Officer – T'Pal (self explanatory)
Best Medical – Bones, Flots, but who cares really
Best Engineer – O'Brien & Scotty
Best Science officer – Spock, T'Pal
Best Helmsman – Who cares
Best Security – Malcolm
Best Ship – Defiant or Enterprise NXO1
Best villain – The Zindi were pretty cool
Hottest Character – T'pol
Most annoying character – Wesley Crusher -- agreed

I grew up on TOS reruns and even had the action figures (the 6 in tall ones you got in the 70's).

The only series I took issue with was Voyager for stomping all over the established Star Trek Universe in order to be more PC. The only thing they lacked was a homosexual character...or did they write that in later? I've only seen a handful of episodes so I may have missed that one. LOL

I do admit that the episodes of Voyager I have seen did have pretty good writing for the most part, but other than that...feh...

I loved Enterprise because it was fresh and they couldn't rely on technology to solve all their problems for them and they weren't investigating some sort of an anomoly every other episode. LOL

And BTW....KKKHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

:D for the "Khan!" :tup:

Very good point on the low-tech Enterprise story-line toolbox too. I've said as much myself before now in discussions with those who were derisory towards the series. Sadly, it looks like the writing team couldn't cope and thus we ended up with the Gordian Knot of the Time War :(.

Best Movie – First Contact
Best series – THE NEXT GENERATION (now stop arguing :))
Best Captain – Jean Luc (intellect, compassion, concern for the crew and for other races, even the enemy, always apprehended the bigger picture)
Best first Officer – Chakotay (always seemed like a real person because of his own agenda)
Best Medical – Beverly Crusher was too ignorant and obnoxious to Data in the beginning. Dunno, prolly The Doctor (EMH - Robert Picardo for his wonderful Woody Allen-esque neuroses :))
Best Engineer – Geordi La Forge (I just loved the science, most of which has a sound basis in current research)
Best Science officer – Data
Best Helmsman – Tom Paris :)
Best Security – Worf (though the race and his character was a little superficial for me - with some exceptions ie. First Contact)
Best Ship – Voyager with the Borg mods :)
Best villain – Q :)
Hottest Character – Nah, T'Pol=7of9=all wrong... Deanna Troy / Jadzia Dax / Tom Paris depending on wind direction
Most annoying character – Quark or Reg Barclay / howling mad Murdock (at least Wesley Crusher was trying, bless)

Jenna

I can see I'm going to get drawn into 'listing' my favourites here :D.

I don't want to as there are pro's and con's, merits and flaws in many of the characters/series/films. That's what makes them good after all.

For example, Best Captain.

Wartime: Janeway, no question. She's like me, a destroyer commander at heart. Get in there and remove the enemies ability to fight.

Peacetime: Picard without a doubt. A consumate diplomat able to relate at an individual level and still keep his eyes on the big picture.

I'd like the luxury of having the time to ponder some more (but as my answers may vary depending on the way I'm feeling on the day you ask me I may as well commit now):

Best Movie – The Voyage Home
Best series – Voyager
Best Captain – Janeway (Kirk a little too trigger happy)
Best first Officer – Spock
Best Medical – Flox (Sp?) or Bashir
Best Engineer – Scotty
Best Science officer – Data or Spock
Best Helmsman – Sulu
Best Security – Natasha Yar or Odo
Best Ship – NCC 1701 CONSTITUTION CLASS STARSHIP (I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear when they blew her up)
Best villain – Q
Hottest Character – Kheylar or B'Elanna Torres
Most annoying character – Wesley Crusher or Jake Sisko

Oh, oh just forgot one, the most annoying character - Rom. Though his wife Leeta would be a first round pick for hottest character.

TOS all the way. I don't even count Vger and Ent as real Trek.

I can see I'm going to get drawn into 'listing' my favourites here :D.
I don't want to as there are pro's and con's, merits and flaws in many of the characters/series/films. That's what makes them good after all.
For example, Best Captain.
Wartime: Janeway, no question. She's like me, a destroyer commander at heart. Get in there and remove the enemies ability to fight.
Peacetime: Picard without a doubt. A consumate diplomat able to relate at an individual level and still keep his eyes on the big picture.
I'd like the luxury of having the time to ponder some more (but as my answers may vary depending on the way I'm feeling on the day you ask me I may as well commit now):
Best series – Voyager
Best Captain – Janeway (Kirk a little too trigger happy)
Best Medical – Flox (Sp?) or Bashir
Best Engineer – Scotty
Best Science officer – Data or Spock
Best Helmsman – Sulu
Best Security – Natasha Yar or Odo
Best Ship – NCC 1701 CONSTITUTION CLASS STARSHIP (I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear when they blew her up)
Best villain – Q
Hottest Character – Kheylar or B'Elanna Torres
Most annoying character – Wesley Crusher or Jake Sisko

Dude, i was with you till you named Tasha Yar your fave security officer. My first was, the dead chick? LOL. Opinions are great though, nice list.

Being a fan of Trek since the 70's, I may as well toss my 2 cents in on this quiz...

Best series – Deep Space Nine
Best Captain – Have to go with Archer
Best Medical – Phlox
Best Engineer – Scotty
Best Science officer – Dax
Best Helmsman – Sulu
Best Security – Worf
Best Ship – TOS Enterprise
Best villain – The Dominion
Hottest Character – Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell)
Most annoying character – Wesley Crusher!

Latest Discussions

Back