TN Cop needs to see drivers license.

A red flag goes up in an LEO's mind when a person refuses a "request" to see a license or any other form of ID... what have you got to hide? A warrant perhaps? A FELONY warrant even? If you haven't done anything WRONG then what is the problem? Show them your ID and be done with it. Sure there's no LAW requiring you to do so but again... what have YOU got to hide? You may be out of state, that allows the officer to reassess the situation and likely to sum you up as a tourist or visiting on business or whatever. If you're a local ... your address reveals how far away from home you are and often times reveals the neighborhood you live in and where you are right now, (i.e. a person with a Beverly Hills address and they're in Compton... wtf are they doing there?).

Law Enforcement officers have their own reasons for wanting to do things. Maybe SOME are power-tripping but I think that number is reasonably VERY FEW. Most have their jobs to do and already are under enough scrutiny as is without some guy pointing a camera at them.
Perhaps heavily edited to suit whatever purpose the people had.
I USED to have a "problem" with cops... for a long time now I haven't. I've made some good friends who are LEO's and found them to be just as regular as you and me. They have a tough job and occasionally a dangerous one. Many an innocent interaction with a citizen has turned bad.

Tonight I pulled up into my local Walmart and parked behind and to the left of a regular car. I saw the person sitting in the car was a (female) LEO ... dunno if she was on duty or not but she appeared to be reading something and looking up and around once in a while, she certainly noticed me watching her, at which point I casually got out of the car and put myself in full view so to stop any alarms that might be ringing in her head. I smiled waved hello politely and then from about 10 feet away nicely asked her to roll down her window for a second she did and I asked her "is that supposed to be an unmarked police car?" she laughed and shook her head no. I laughed along and just walked off.
Just people who can appreciate a good joke. There was a patrol car sitting near the front of the store so I'm sure she wasn't as nervous.

I don't appreciate bad cops anymore than the next person. But I don't lump them in with all the rest. As I said I've had more positive interactions than negatives. HALF of those negative experiences I realized later (much later) were my own perception of the encounter.

I've often wondered about American driving licences, I know there's a lot more drivers in American then in the UK and Europe so is expecting someone to have a driving licence reasonable? Do you actually have people who don't drive and don't have a licence? Here we ask for ID not specifically a driving licence as some many don't have one.

Technically "ID'ing" yourself is as easy as providing me with your full name, DOB and address. Most of the time I can spend about 5-10 minutes running that through a few databases and see what I get.

The problem is..is that some people are so adept at lying that they memorize a cousins/brothers/associates information so that they can give THAT to the police. I have had a few dolts try that only to have it backfire when their "buddy" wound up having a warrant. Then when Im arresting them they have to admit that they gave me a bad ID..at which point I arrest them for criminal impersonation.

Bad day to lie to the cops.

And that's another thing that the "average joe" fails to realize. Cops get quickly "suspicious" because we get lied to ALL THE TIME. Even by people who you wouldn't expect. It gets so bad that some just assume that you are lying to them right off the bat until they have proof otherwise. I kid you not..it's that bad.

Technically "ID'ing" yourself is as easy as providing me with your full name, DOB and address. Most of the time I can spend about 5-10 minutes running that through a few databases and see what I get.

The problem is..is that some people are so adept at lying that they memorize a cousins/brothers/associates information so that they can give THAT to the police. I have had a few dolts try that only to have it backfire when their "buddy" wound up having a warrant. Then when Im arresting them they have to admit that they gave me a bad ID..at which point I arrest them for criminal impersonation.

And that's another thing that the "average joe" fails to realize. Cops get quickly "suspicious" because we get lied to ALL THE TIME. Even by people who you wouldn't expect. It gets so bad that some just assume that you are lying to them right off the bat until they have proof otherwise. I kid you not..it's that bad.

It's not just the 'criminal' element that lie to police, its the people you would really think should know better as well as having a bit more moral fibre about them. Professional people lie, vicars even, teachers, dentists etc pillars of the community, all of them will tell porkies when stopped by the police!

Here's the thing.

Yes, the overwhelming majority of people in the U.S., especially folks under 65, have a driver's license. Driver's education is mandatory for high school graduation in many states so most teens earn their license whether they have a car to drive or not.

There are a few exceptions. Some school systems don't require it, some children that grow up in a family without a car (esp. in urban environments) don't learn how to drive until they have a need to get a car.

Driver's licenses are issued by the state's Registry of Motor Vehicles. The Registry of Motor Vehicles in all 50 states will issue a plain state ID (with no driving privileges, it is just an ID card). There is no need to have both, the State ID is for those that can't drive.

There are two main reasons why a non-driver would have a State ID.

One is work. A driver's license or State ID plus a Social Security card is sufficient ID to prove citizenship for employment reasons in the U.S.

The second is...booze and/or nightclubs. Generally you have to be 21 to drink in the states (some exceptions for active military).Virtually all establishments, be they nightclubs, pubs, restaurants, or liquor stores, ask for a Driver's License or Proof of Age to prove that the buyer is 21 years old, even if the subject is over 21. Usually, you need to be 21 to get in to a nightclub, whether or not you intend to drink alcohol. I still get carded occasionally and I've been "legal" for...awhile. ;)

So yes, by the time a person reaches adulthood, they are usually anxious to be able to work, drive, drink, or go clubbing. Or some combination of the above. And hopefully not all at the same time. :lol: Having a driver's license or State ID is completely reasonable, and chances are the same folks that are giving the LEOs a hard time will gladly show their license or their ID when they go to purchase adult beverages later that evening, or when they go out on the town to hear some live music.

I've often wondered about American driving licences, I know there's a lot more drivers in American then in the UK and Europe so is expecting someone to have a driving licence reasonable? Do you actually have people who don't drive and don't have a licence? Here we ask for ID not specifically a driving licence as some many don't have one.

Being a non-driver in the US is not an option for most. Public transportation is functionally non-existant outside of major cities. To the best of my knowledge, however, the majority of state also have a state issued ID which can take the place of the drivers liscense for all intents and purposes. Here in Pennsylvania, that card is also issued by the Department of Transportation. Since there is no legal Federal ID system, this is the most reliable ID system we have in the US.

Passports have an expiration date printed on them , so it is easy to see if it is valid. This also means automatically that the photo will be fairly recent.
And finally, passports contain at least as much information as a drivers livense, and possibly more. At least, this is the case for European passports. Home address will definitely be there.
Nope; passports do not automatically contain home addresses; they have spaces to provide that information, but you aren't required to complete it. Nor is the address if filled in automatically valid, though of course a DL address isn't necessarily correct either. A passsport establishes nationality and ID -- but it doesn't establish state of residence.

It's also a pain in the *** for most cops. Unless they handle them regularly, or have studied their own (if they have one), they have to hunt through them for the information. It's harder to recognize a fraudulent document, too, without the right training on them.

I'm not suggesting that a passport is automatically not a valid ID -- but it's not automatically a valid ID in the home country either. And, since I didn't see it -- do we even know it was a US passport? Could it have been a World Passport? Might that have mattered just a little?

Depends on where they're from. New York City, among other places, and I'm not shocked that someone doesn't have a driver's license. But a driver's license is pretty common in the US; we just don't generally have really good public transit systems, and cabs ain't cheap.

Most states Department of Motor Vehicles or similar agency has become the de facto state ID issuer; they have to issue DLs, and IDs of various sorts are similar. For example, in Virginia, if you get certain professional licenses, you get the actual card via the DMV. And you can get a "Walker's ID" which is an official card that contains the same identification info as a DL -- but shows you're not a driver.

I had one give me his brother's info, and a bogus story about having left his wallet at home.

His brother was suspended... and about a foot different in height! He ended up locked up for an aggravated form of driving while suspended, as well as lying to a cop. :(

That's the key here. Just because YOU know you are a good person, doesn't mean the LEO just meeting you knows your a good person. After all, we are there for SOME reason even if it's just offering help. After we are done helping, we STILL have to write a report and put all of your information into it. If we are there to HELP YOU, and we ask for ID, it is just plain annoying to suddenly start getting asked questions of why do you have to see it? I don't have to show you, you know! As others have stated it, HOW you ask for it can go a long way too. I know of one guy on our department that has this uncanny ability to piss people off. He is one of the nicest guys, but for some reason if he tells someone to have a nice day and means it, they will take it as if he just told them to eff off. I kid you not, so having good people skills goes a long way to getting what you need without alot of hassle too.

I still get carded occasionally and I've been "legal" for...awhile. ;)

Carol if your photo is any indication, I'd "card" you too!! :)

I was at Tops in Lewiston, NY a couple of months ago, and I picked up a six pack of beer we can't get back home. The clerk "carded" me. I asked if she was kidding and she says they card everyone. I've seen them card an obviously 50+ year old lady. Point is, there has to be some common sense too.

I was at Tops in Lewiston, NY a couple of months ago, and I picked up a six pack of beer we can't get back home. The clerk "carded" me. I asked if she was kidding and she says they card everyone. I've seen them card an obviously 50+ year old lady. Point is, there has to be some common sense too.

That's store policy. It's easier to ID everybody than get in trouble for some cashier not ID'ing someone based on their age estimation skills.

Cashiers card everyone so as to avoid the "your just picking on me" call.

If you see a store being -very- strict on it, they were busted recently for not checking ID. If they fail too many checks, they can lose their permits to sell booze.

My wife used to work for a convenience store. She would refuse to sell if there was any discrepancy, including seeing obvious minors in the waiting car outside. Everyone could come in and show ID or no sale.

But, in Carol's case, it's obviously because she's so youthful in appearance!

(Really, Ken, did you want to leave it on that particular note?! )

But, in Carol's case, it's obviously because she's so youthful in appearance!

(Really, Ken, did you want to leave it on that particular note?! )

LOL!! :)

Hey, hey, hey I'm already sucking up to Carol, that job is already taken!! Go away!:)

Sadly.....I can't think of a good smart *** answer to that!

I'm 44, but i have been told that I look 35-45. I workout everyday, I try to watch what i eat, I have grey around the temple area and I don't dress hip hop. Some of the kids I've taught tell me I must be at least 22. Gotta love em.

The stores up here, beer, LCBO and places that sell smokes, all have the policy that they will card you if you look under 25.

There has to be some profiling. Time, and money are in limited supply.

There is no point in carding an obviously old man or woman.

There is little point in focusing limited resourses looking for terrorists coming into Miami on a shuttle flight from Reykjavik, if at the same time a flight is arriving from Rabat

We don't want to offend anyone specifically, so we offend all.

LOL!! :)

Hey, hey, hey I'm already sucking up to Carol, that job is already taken!! Go away!:)

Sadly.....I can't think of a good smart *** answer to that!

I'm 44, but i have been told that I look 35-45. I workout everyday, I try to watch what i eat, I have grey around the temple area and I don't dress hip hop.

Go on... ;)

(And don't fight with the nice police officer :D)

Years ago, I worked for a while as a waiter. I started out carding only those whom I wasn't reasonably comfortable were of age... Then there was the day that a mother and son came in, and both ordered drinks. He was borderline, I placed him 18 to 22 or so. So, I carded him. I didn't card his mom...

Except it wasn't "mom." It was WIFE. And they were both comfortably over 21. :eek: :eek:

And, yeah, my tip on that table SUCKED!

Years ago, I worked for a while as a waiter. I started out carding only those whom I wasn't reasonably comfortable were of age... Then there was the day that a mother and son came in, and both ordered drinks. He was borderline, I placed him 18 to 22 or so. So, I carded him. I didn't card his mom...

Oh come on Carol, two guys vying for your hand, (and other parts…), you love it….

One of my weaknesses, (Yes I have a couple stashed away...) are "high end" restaurants, something I picked up from my dad. I’m passing that little treat onto my kids. When my daughter, who is 16 and I go out to “high end” places, she is always asked if she wants a drink. (Drinking age in Ontario is 19). When she and her girlfriends, (all 16), go out to restaurants, they are always asked if they want anything from the bar.

Being asked at Tops the other month was the only time in my life I have been asked. Even when I was 17, (generally I was in my army uniform), I was never asked.

The other day I was performing and stepped outside for a bit. A cop stopped me and asked if I had any ID. I just pointed at the poster on the wall and smiled.

Latest Discussions

Back