TKD instructors saves Texas woman from sexual assault

They pulled him off and held him down until the cops got there. I mean, I'm glad they did that and everything. But that wasn't them utilizing their TKD training.

They pulled him off and held him down until the cops got there. I mean, I'm glad they did that and everything. But that wasn't them utilizing their TKD training.
Seriously, they prevented a rape, and you're going to nit pick this, come at it negatively and NOT see it as a positive..... wow

Seriously, they prevented a rape, and you're going to nit pick this, come at it negatively and NOT see it as a positive..... wow
You missed the part where I said "I'm glad they did that and everything." That took up a quarter of the post.

Please show me any TKD's school's belt requirements where the technique "grab someone and hold them down" is listed.
TMA is more than just fighting techniques. It's the willingness to put yourself into a physical conflict if needed, as in this news story. This kind of willingness springs, in part, from knowing and having confidence in your skills. These skills come from advancing thru your school's belt requirements. So, we have come full circle: "school's belt requirements" leads to "grab someone and hold them down."

Of course, 5 against 1 helps a lot, too. But this is not to be underappreciated since there have been many examples of 10 against 1 where none of the ten stepped in and helped the victim.

TMA is more than just fighting techniques. It's the willingness to put yourself into a physical conflict if needed, as in this news story. This kind of willingness springs, in part, from knowing and having confidence in your skills. These skills come from advancing thru your school's belt requirements. So, we have come full circle: "school's belt requirements" leads to "grab someone and hold them down."
So "intangibles" that require zero martial arts training. Got it.

So "intangibles" that require zero martial arts training. Got it.
Yes, in many cases correct. The "intangibles" of one's decision to take immediate physical action are many. They may be described as courage, character, social responsibility, doing what's right, or a host of others. TMA is just one way that these "intangibles" can be developed.

I'm sure there have been many instances of someone having these intangibles to some degree but did not have the ability to act on them with any chance of success. The good thing about TMA is they develop the ability as well.

Got it?

Agreed. We’re in the general self defense subforum and that they are TKD instructors was emphasized. This is a fair point to make.

TMA is more than just fighting techniques. It's the willingness to put yourself into a physical conflict if needed, as in this news story.

A fighting spirit is not unique to TMA. We see all the time that a willingness to fight by people who are entirely untrained is enough to save them.

This kind of willingness springs, in part, from knowing and having confidence in your skills. These skills come from advancing thru your school's belt requirements. So, we have come full circle: "school's belt requirements" leads to "grab someone and hold them down."

If this is true, then parkour is as effective e as any TMA for self defense. If it’s just confidence in your abilities and fighting spirit.
Of course, 5 against 1 helps a lot, too.

LOL. Ya think? 🤔

But this is not to be underappreciated since there have been many examples of 10 against 1 where none of the ten stepped in and helped the victim.
Great point. And completely agree. And however they got there, good on them.

Please show me any TKD's school's belt requirements where the technique "grab someone and hold them down" is listed.
There isn't a self defence section where the do an osotogari or something?

An’s father, Hong, yanked the attacker away by his shirt and pinned him to the ground.

What's the best technique to use in this situation? I believe the "reverse neck choke" should be the one. By applying enough pressure on your opponent's throat, you can force him to give up quickly.

reverse_neck_choke.jpg

If the only training they ever had was in TKD, then yes, it was from their TKD training.
Is that really so hard to understand?

Student Oath​

I shall observe the Tenets of Taekwondo.
I shall respect Instructors and Seniors.
I shall never misuse Taekwondo.
I will be a champion of freedom and justice.
I will build a more peaceful world.

Martial arts is more than the sum of the kicks, blocks, and punches one is taught. Every martial artist should know that. I do not study TKD, but like all martial arts I am aware of, it builds character, and give you the confidence and ability to do something about injustice.

Countless scenarios come to mind. It TKD, they are often called one-step or three-step sparring.

A very quick search of TKD throws brings up plenty of results; videos, blogs, school websites where they go over techniques they train. I'm no expert, but they seemed like basic throws with korean sounding names.

Back