The New Shogun

Great series. I really enjoyed it.

This series has not left an enduring impression upon me in the way the original did. What do you think?

This series has not left an enduring impression upon me in the way the original did. What do you think?
Neither was as good as the book, but I liked the original better.

I like them both, but I like the new one better. I tried to rewatch the original series and it felt very dated. Didn’t age well. And that was 15 or so years ago.

What I didn’t like about the new one was the cinematography. Too dark for my viewing pleasure.

What I didn’t like about the new one was the cinematography. Too dark for my viewing pleasure.
I absolutely agree with you on this. It seems to be a trend these days.

I think I’m beginning to appreciate Shōgun 2024 as I watch excerpts from it on Youtube plus the odd useful analysis (most are ‘Film & Theatre’ student’s sub-Freudian navel gazing). I realise now that being familiar with the original mini series with is far less serious presentation, is to the detriment of viewing this newer adaptation. I should’ve ‘emptied my cup’ before watching it.

Firstly, the Anjin is not really the main character as in the original, but the a POV character acting as the narrator. I felt frustrated that more wasn’t made of him but now realise it was the juxtaposition of his alien perspective that (mostly) allowed the story to unfold.

Toranaga was the main character (seems so obvious now) and everything he did was a longer-term strategic act such as allowing the seppuku of his most loyal subject.

The smaller stories within the whole are vignettes that support the political intrigue and help us understand feudal Japanese thought and culture and they are so beautifully constructed and executed that it’s taken me a few viewings to appreciate their brilliance.

I have the Blu-Ray winging it’s way to me as I write and I look forward to watching it again with fresh and wider open eyes.

Back