Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu

Yep, I'd be going along with that advice! And I get what you mean about being a white belt again, ha!

You'll find that those minor details are everything in Koryu systems.... to give an idea of some of the details of some systems, here's an interesting clip:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading back up tonight after a week of practicing. Hopefully, I'll be better this week. There will be a workshop on April 13th, and the headmaster is coming over from Japan. Definitely looking forward to it! My new hakama and keikogi came in, so finally have nice attire that doesn't have Hangeul on the left chest (my plain blue hakama and keikogi were getting pretty worn).

Very cool!
Make sure to take your notebook to the workshop, and take plenty of notes!

Very cool!
Make sure to take your notebook to the workshop, and take plenty of notes!
Notebook, camera, and video camera! And batteries. Lots of batteries.

Saturday the fourtheenth, we'll be down on the Mall for the Cherry Blossom Festival and doing a demonstration. I get to participate with the newbies! :D

And last night, I was introduced to some of the ryu's kenjutsu. I also did an exercise with a bokuto where you strike a wooden post called Tachi Ki Uchi. I've done it for kendo, but never knew the formal name. Its really cool to smell the burnt wood as you practice cuts. :)

Ha, fun! "Tachi Ki Uchi" is one of the traits of a number of Jigen Ryu systems, basically meaning "upright wood/tree striking". What's done in Kendo is Makiwara training, similar ideas, but not really the same thing.

The seminar was fantastic! Soke's Ueno Kaganori, Ueno Doushin and Sugiyama Shihan were there from Japan and all three were both amazing swordsmen and amazingly great people. Sugiyama Shihan took this picture. Left to right is Soke Ueno Doushin, myself, Soke Ueno Kakenori, Mackense Sensei and Flint Sensei.View attachment $526105_10150654428327864_652792863_9386320_1116306823_n.jpg

Still doing Jigen ryu Daniel? How's it coming along?

Back