Taller People Doing Tae Kwon Do

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My knowledge in Tae Kwon Do is very limited but I would think a taller person would have some advantages, they would have the advantage of reach in sparring and they would they would also be able to generate more power with their longer arms and legs.

At my first TKD school, I had the opportunity to spar with a fellow beginner who was 6'10" tall. Getting past the reach was a nightmare, and I never could, since I was a total newbie, but he was quite slow, so someone with more know-how could take better advantage of that, I'm sure.

Taller generally also means larger. An old Motorhead saying is "There is no substitute for cubic inches."

Taller people always have a reach advantage. As for generating great power. I don’t think they necessarily have that advantage

The longer your limbs are, the more room (longer sequence) for acceleration, equalling more potential for power.

It does neccesarily mean that given that the technique is executed the same.
IF it is executed the same. And the power generation from a shorter person can also be very powerful, if done correctly. Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch if you will. The only thing guaranteed by a taller opponent is reach advantage

IF it is executed the same. And the power generation from a shorter person can also be very powerful, if done correctly. Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch if you will. The only thing guaranteed by a taller opponent is reach advantage
A short but stocky person can deliver huge power via heavy bones. Yes.

But if you take regular peoples physique, then having longer limbs is beneficiary in everyway in TaeKwondo.

The longer your limbs are, the more room (longer sequence) for acceleration, equalling more potential for power.
There's always a downside. Longer limbs mean once the opponent gets inside your guard, he has a lot more room to work within. I cared for a long-legged Great Dane, Buddha, who one day came across a mouse in the dojo. It was amusing to watch him hopelessly trying to catch the mouse as it ran in and out between his legs. A short legged terrier would have had an easier time chomping down on the rodent.

A short but stocky person can deliver huge power via heavy bones. Yes.

But if you take regular peoples physique, then having longer limbs is beneficiary in everyway in TaeKwondo.
ONLY if they know how to generate power properly....just because one is tall, it is not a given that they can hit harder than a shorter person...every where including Tae Kwondo

There's always a downside. Longer limbs mean once the opponent gets inside your guard, he has a lot more room to work within. I cared for a long-legged Great Dane, Buddha, who one day came across a mouse in the dojo. It was amusing to watch him hopelessly trying to catch the mouse as it ran in and out between his legs. A short legged terrier would have had an easier time chomping down on the rodent.
Didn't work for Frazier against Foreman but yeah it can be a disadvantage to be tall.

The one ace in the jacket a long limbed fighter has is his uppercut. Lennox lewis used it to great effect against Holyfield.

Latest Discussions

Back