Take-downs in Wing Chun

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this good example of take-downs and close range WC fighting (3rd gate using chin-na, takedowns, elbows). I used to think take-downs were not WC, but borrowed from elsewhere, but take-downs can be traced directly to WC forms, e.g., Biu jee and especially the footwork in the dummy sections. This is Sifu Donald Mak from the Chow Tze-chuen line with his student in Italy. Sifu Chow (recently passed away) was known for his footwork and kicks ("Wong gerk" - king of kicks - if interested, see WC Kicking article in www.hongkongreporting.com).

There are some promising starting points in there, but I don't see any takedowns that I'd expect to work on a mobile opponent (all of his stopped on first contact), or on someone gripping, even a simple "shoulder clinch" position.

There are some promising starting points in there, but I don't see any takedowns that I'd expect to work on a mobile opponent (all of his stopped on first contact), or on someone gripping, even a simple "shoulder clinch" position.
thanks for the feedback and apologies, I meant to post this in the Wing Chun forum....

thanks for the feedback and apologies, I meant to post this in the Wing Chun forum....

You could make them work. There was a whizzer in there. And that foot sweep can be pulled off with the right set up.

You could make them work. There was a whizzer in there. And that foot sweep can be pulled off with the right set up.
That's what I was getting at. The set-ups are what make those available against a resisting opponent. How you get to a throw or takedown is as important as the technique itself.

That's what I was getting at. The set-ups are what make those available against a resisting opponent. How you get to a throw or takedown is as important as the technique itself.

yeah.

Set-ups??
What?? You mean you don't just walk up and do a takedown!?
Obviously you need to keep practicing your form/s more.
Set-ups...!

Back