some dude just threatened to kill me

Carol -- you'll probably know better than I do -- but it's my understanding that, in most cases, if the call is going through some sort of switchboard system, it kind of stops the *57 type traces dead. And I suspect that most hotels have some sort of switchboard system in place...

Priceless! I love stuff like this followed up with a name like "Jethro." That Jethro soundslike a wild card!

in a completely unrelated incident, another drunk tenent was yelling into his cell phone in the parking lot one time trying to get a guy to meet him at the high school across the street to fight. he even offered to give him gas money! these people are in their 30's, too.

jf

I have learned that while the bodies continue to age, mentally and emotionally, many individuals never move much beyond the 7th grade.

well i know two guys who would kick your *** if you said that to their face :D

jf

Play Nice..

Drac
MT Moderator

in a completely unrelated incident, another drunk tenent was yelling into his cell phone in the parking lot one time trying to get a guy to meet him at the high school across the street to fight. he even offered to give him gas money! these people are in their 30's, too.

jf

Ah... The Midwest is such a colorful place. That reminds me of the gas station down the street from my house at 1am.

Do you bring a camera to work? I'm sure you could snap some really good pics of these altercations.

Carol -- you'll probably know better than I do -- but it's my understanding that, in most cases, if the call is going through some sort of switchboard system, it kind of stops the *57 type traces dead. And I suspect that most hotels have some sort of switchboard system in place...

Very good point!

Its going to depend on the system. The caller would definitely need to access an outside line, by dialing 9 or pressing the proper button or whatever their system needs. If the caller has a way of selecting the same line as the line that the malicious call came in upon, that is ideal. For someone in a night auditor/front desk position, the call is more likely to go through because the caller is more likely to be at the main console for the phone system.

Its more likely for this to be blocked by someone using a guest phone in a room. Hotels typically charge for (and profit from) phone calls, so there are rigid filters on each line to make sure the guests get charged for the calls they make and that the hotel doesn't permit calls they don't want passing (such as international calls or 1-900 calls). Its likely that the star codes are universally blocked even though U.S. providers typically do not charge for this service.

Very good point!

Its going to depend on the system. The caller would definitely need to access an outside line, by dialing 9 or pressing the proper button or whatever their system needs. If the caller has a way of selecting the same line as the line that the malicious call came in upon, that is ideal. For someone in a night auditor/front desk position, the call is more likely to go through because the caller is more likely to be at the main console for the phone system.

Its more likely for this to be blocked by someone using a guest phone in a room. Hotels typically charge for (and profit from) phone calls, so there are rigid filters on each line to make sure the guests get charged for the calls they make and that the hotel doesn't permit calls they don't want passing (such as international calls or 1-900 calls). Its likely that the star codes are universally blocked even though U.S. providers typically do not charge for this service.
It's my understanding that, at least in the area that I work, the phone company may charge for *57, unless you've filed a report with them as well as with the PD. I'm not certain how much or if they actually charge...

Play Nice..

Drac
MT Moderator

Jarrod (and Drac) - I meant the maturity remark about the idiots in the hotel and in the housing complex, not Jarrod! :angel:

i was attempting to make a joke (poorly delivered, evidently) about the maturity level of the tenents i'd mentioned. i didn't mean any disrespect to grydth or anyone else.

jf

I'm getting a bit rusty since I haven't been working directly for a carrier. :eek: Actually I just did some poking around on the web and...you're right. There does appear to be a nominal charge for each time the trace is activated, unless the issue is pursued with the police. The charge alone in most cases would be enough justification for the operators of a switchboard-type phone system (PBX) to block the star codes for a malicious call trace.

Hotels in particular generally keep good records of calls going in and out, so there may be an option of collecting data from the premise-based equipment.

Hey man,

Hotheads come in all types. I understand the concern. It makes one wonder why a man was calling his "Wife" at a hotel.

However, when junk like that happens always call the cops man. If you have to throw down then at least you called the cops on an aggressor.

Crazy people do crazy things.

so i'm working overnight at a hotel, & a guy calls looking for his wife. we don't connect phone calls unless the caller knows both the room number & the name of the person in the room for security reasons. i explain this to the guy & he starts getting mad. i stay polite, he tells me that their son just died in an accident. i still don't connect him (1 i don't believe him, 2 why doesn't he know where is wife is at night?) anyway, he gets agitated & tells me i just signed my death warrant, he'll be here in 30 minutes with a world of ****, at which point i hung up. i'm not taking it too seriously, but it's still unnerving. my first thought was "bring it," followed immediately by "what if he has a gun?". at any rate, hope i'm still posting here later today :p

jf

That is LOL smartass funny. Everytime I said that or something to that effect to a crowd it generally tweaked a few people's nerves.
I have learned that while the bodies continue to age, mentally and emotionally, many individuals never move much beyond the 7th grade.

Latest Discussions

Back