Semaglutide - Cardiovascular Protection

I think the differences are that many people perceive obesity to be a ‘self-inflicted’ condition whereas sexuality and colour are not chosen.
Indeed. The same can be said of illnesses like lung cancer (well, were you a smoker? Then you deserve it) and diabetes (oh, you gave yourself diabetes by eating too much candy, you fat bastard, and now you dare ask for sympathy).

Ultimately, it's based on fear, I think. We all fear illness, especially the sort that debilitates or is chronic or life-threatening. And as long as we can characterize illness as 'deserved' somehow, then one can rationalize that illness won't come to them, because they are good people. They won't get fat, they're not lazy. They won't get diabetes, they avoid sugary treats. They won't get cancer, they don't smoke. Of course, none of that is true, but it's a sop and a talisman. Hate and shun the sick, so the sickness gods don't visit you.

I’ve been heavier due to many reasons, but at some point I looked at the scales and my clothes and thought , ‘I need to stop this before it becomes a problem’ and with great effort, determination and indeed suffering, I somehow did.
It is fortunate that many people can do so. I've gained, lost, gained, and so on, over the decades. I've been the fittest of the fit, 1st class physical fitness for the US Marines, which is frankly one of the highest standards there is, but those days are long gone now. Everything hurts, and some of what I have lost cannot be regained even with superhuman effort.

You might note how angry I get with certain MT folks who insist that if you just *try* to run miles a day, you will be able to do so, at any age. That's stuff and nonsense, and they'll one day discover it to be such.

An ignorant person of the sort you describe would say, “Why can’t every fat person do that? Gyakuto is clearly a very cool guy” but the operative word is ‘ignorant’ (except in their judgement of character, of course).
It is easy to understand why a person with no legs cannot run. It is less easy to understand why a person whose medical condition has robbed them of the painless use of their legs cannot run, when we can't *see* the disability. Such disabilities exist, whether we're willing to accept that they exist or not. How many of us have seen a seemingly healthy-looking person get out of a car in a handicapped parking space and thought to ourselves, "Well, *he* doesn't look handicapped to me."

Yes, the fitness industry peddles this narrative “You can do and be anything” (terms and conditions apply). It helps them sell their wares. Our bodies evolved to function until about the age of 30-40 years, then begins the decline as it does in car that has 100k on the clock. Some car’s gearboxes go, other just have niggles, gaskets going and oil leaks until the ‘big end’ goes and it’s to the big car crusher in the sky.

Yes, the fitness industry peddles this narrative “You can do and be anything”
This is a good mindset to have. Humans have a habit of setting unnecessary limitations.
Sometimes we just need the mindset of. This is what I want. Just do what is needed. Even if I don't get maximum results, I will still be better off than not doing it at all.

I've been struggling with losing weight and for me it's the diet thing that is difficult. I know what needs to be done. I just need to do and stick to it. Even if I don't reach my goal, I will still be better off for traveling that path than I would if I didn't.

Life has its own limitations. No need for me to set more limitations than what life gives us

This is a good mindset to have. Humans have a habit of setting unnecessary limitations.
Humans have a habit of deciding what other people's limits should be as well. "Well, I can do it, therefore you should be able to do it."

Our struggles are our own. No one knows our battles, nor do they have the right to impose their values on us of what they think we should be capable of or strive for.

Humans have a habit of deciding what other people's limits should be as well.
Normally this type of habit is a negative thing telling you what you can't do, vs what you can do. What you speak of happens but it's a much smaller matter. Many of those who fit within your statement are often people without full information about someone.

Our struggles are our own. No one knows our battles, nor do they have the right to impose their values on us of what they think we should be capable of or strive for.
The "impose their values" sounds like a different issue.

I'm certain that the crap we walk through today, someone else has already been through it. There are no unique problems. I take comfort that what I'm going through and what my family goes through is nothing new and that someone has been through it before. This also means that someone may have some insight or guidance that can help me out.

If someone thinks I can be a better me then I would want that person to continue to encourage me to the greatness that I see, so long as what they seen lines up with what I don't mind being. There are plenty of people willing to tell me that I don't amount to anything.

This is a good mindset to have.
It’s a very
’American’ thing to believe and I think it’s a way of controlling people. You have a dead end job in a convenience store on a highway in the desert but you believe you can become president of the USA if you work really hard. If you don’t achieve it, you didn’t work hard enough. In India i was told a similar idea is peddled in that they’re told that miserable as their lives might be now, things will be better in the next. It’s a way of prevent unrest and revolt by giving (false) hope.

It’s a very
’American’ thing to believe and I think it’s a way of controlling people.
I don't think American has anything to do with it. I come from a history of slaves who thought just that when others kept telling them what they couldn't do.

That same mentality has been passed through my generation and through the generation of many slave descendants. It never mentions anything about American. It's all about valuating who we are as people and not selling ourselves short simply because someone wishes to limit us.

We are extremely sensitive to the energy of those who want to say that we are less than human. Take a look at any group that has had similar experiences either personally or in past generations and you'll see that same mentality.

If I wanted to manipulate and control someone, then I would spend more effort to tell that person how limited they are. I would keep them down by preventing them from thinking that they can be more than what I decide they can be. I would spend my time making people think they are less.

Telling someone that they can be great is the opposite of controlling. Telling someone that they have the capabilities to do remarkable is not controlling.

The idea of "Anything is possible in the US." doesn't come from Americans. It comes from those who were not originally from the US. People who are originally from the U.S. will tell you the not so shiny side of the U.S.

Telling someone that they can be great is the opposite of controlling. Telling someone that they have the capabilities to do remarkable is not controlling.
“
these aren’t the droids you’re looking for
” 😉

You have a dead end job in a convenience store on a highway in the desert but you believe you can become president of the USA if you work really hard.
I think if someone believes that they can become president of the USA knows that being in a dead-end job at that convenience store is not the path to being president. If they honestly thought and wanted to be president, then they would do things that lead to that path. They wouldn't be in the middle of the desert. In your example, the problem is not the desire. The problem is the location and maybe the lack of guidance.

If you don’t achieve it, you didn’t work hard enough.
This is definitely not American. Lots of people here understand that hard work is not enough. The saying of my generation was always "It's not what you know but who you know."

In India i was told a similar idea is peddled in that they’re told that miserable as their lives might be now, things will be better in the next. It’s a way of prevent unrest and revolt by giving (false) hope.
I'm pretty sure you aren't talking about the same thing I'm talking about. Just like "Rich People are the ones who often say to poor people don't live beyond your means."

I think you are confusing different things. Like I stated earlier. If I wanted to control someone, then the last thing I want to do is inspire them to be bigger than what I want them to be. I know people from India and I can tell you that what you are talking about is the least of the cause of their problems.

“
these aren’t the droids you’re looking for
” 😉
Think of it like a fight. Do you tell your enemy that they can be greater than you? Or do you try to fill your enemy with doubt that that they can overcome you?

lol Nothing Jedi about this. Yet lol

I think if someone believes that they can become president of the USA knows that being in a dead-end job at that convenience store is not the path to being president. If they honestly thought and wanted to be president, then they would do things that lead to that path.
Become a billionaire?
This is definitely not American. Lots of people here understand that hard work is not enough.
Vast wealth is required too. Our Prime Minister is richer than our king, but our king is still subject to the law thanks to Magna Carta of 1215.

Become a billionaire?
Same requirements. If a person wants to become a billionaire, then they should at least know that the path to become one isn't in a small store in the desert. The next step will be to do and had obtain similar behaviors as billionaires. Rich people, fortunately for the rest of us, have processes that can be repeated. In other words, learn what they did to become rich and then repeat the steps.

Howard Schultz
Net worth:
$2.9 billion

In an interview with the Mirror, Schultz says: "Growing up I always felt like I was living on the other side of the tracks. I knew the people on the other side had more resources, more money, happier families. And for some reason, I don't know why or how, I wanted to climb over that fence and achieve something beyond what people were saying was possible. I may have a suit and tie on now but I know where I'm from and I know what it's like."

If you do not have the desire to "climb over that fence and achieve something beyond what people were saying was possible." Then you won't have the necessary drive that will be required.

Mohed Altrad
Net worth: $1.03 billion

Born into a nomadic tribe in the Syrian dessert to a poor mother who was raped by his father and died when he was young, Altrad was raised by his grandmother. She banned him from attending school in Raqqa, the city that is now capital of ISIS.

Altrad attended school anyway, and when he moved to France to attend university, he knew no French and lived off of one meal a day. Still, he earned a PhD in computer science, worked for some leading French companies.

He understood that the path to wealth wasn't in the desert.

There are quite a few stories like this from all around the world. They all have similar characteristics and a very strong drive. I know why I'm not rich: 1. I don't have that type of drive. My mom explains it as "If you don't want nothing, then you'll have nothing." But just like people who make the same mistakes. People also walk the same path for wealth.

Vast wealth is required too. Our Prime Minister is richer than our king, but our king is still subject to the law thanks to Magna Carta of 1215.
Vast wealth isn't needed to become rich. If you start off with Vast wealth then you already have vast wealth.

Many people will try to limit you. I have a rule that I started to follow again. I don't share my goals with just anybody. Because it attracts people who want to stop you from achieving those goes.

From a religious saying "Don't say your goals too loudly or the devil will hear them and destroy your efforts."

Latest Discussions

Back