scrolls question

I have this one from this place. People inexplicably laugh when they hear the translation!

On this site there are options to purchase hanging scrolls in 4 different fonts of Kanji. Who knew? Not I, said the little red hen!

Is it just a design or does it say something?
Generally, it's your name/rank translated.
Is it a stamp?
Yes. It apparently used to be common in at least some schools to use the chop as a method of confirming rank. The instructor would keep a record book and place the stamp half on the book and half on the certificate. You could prove a certificate was legitimate by lining up the stamp.

On this site there are options to purchase hanging scrolls in 4 different fonts of Kanji. Who knew? Not I, said the little red hen!
sorry, I forgot the link. here it is,

sorry, I forgot the link. here it is,
Which one do you like the look of?

At the link you posted "Cry in the Dojo..." the scroll is available in 6 different fonts. Ignoring the substance of the message I much prefer the appearance of "Block Font VB7A" over the other Choices.

Great message though.

I have been thinking about this phrase

"Fall Down Seven, Get Up Eight."​

how is this possible? If I fall down once, I can get up once. Fall twice, get up twice. and so on. But you can't get up more than you fall down, since getting up is only allowed if it is preceded by falling down????

I understand that the intent is to say always get back up, never quit, etc. But statement is impossible.

OR, am I missing something???? or somethings??? or not understanding it correctly, or is the translation wrong? LOL!

Opinions?

how is this possible? If I fall down once, I can get up once. Fall twice, get up twice. and so on. But you can't get up more than you fall down
I thought the same when I heard this several decades ago. Your logic is solid.
I understand that the intent is to say always get back up, never quit,
Having the "get up" number bigger than the "fall down" number I would think is just literary license to stress the idea of the quote's intent. The message takes priority over strict logic. Just roll with it.

At the link you posted "Cry in the Dojo..." the scroll is available in 6 different fonts. Ignoring the substance of the message I much prefer the appearance of "Block Font VB7A" over the other Choices.

Great message though.
I often make teachers cry when they see my attempts at Iai.

how is this possible? If I fall down once, I can get up once. Fall twice, get up twice. and so on. But you can't get up more than you fall down, since getting up is only allowed if it is preceded by falling down????

I understand that the intent is to say always get back up, never quit, etc. But statement is impossible.

OR, am I missing something???? or somethings??? or not understanding it correctly, or is the translation wrong? LOL!

Opinions?

Having the "get up" number bigger than the "fall down" number I would think is just literary license to stress the idea of the quote's intent. The message takes priority over strict logic. Just roll with it.
It’s like a “double jump” in video games which have that mechanic. After the last time getting knocked down, you execute a “double get up” which launches you into the air. From there you can execute a diving attack on your opponent. :)

Opinions?
You’re standing up (1) you fall down (1) you stand up (2)……..you fall down (7), you stand up (8)

You guys aren’t wrong and this isn’t a hill I’m willing to die on. But I think the idea is that you would get up to try it the first time. Idea being you have to get up once to fall once.

If you think about it like this, the math maths.

I’ve always like the proverb, “the nail that sticks up gets the hammer.” I think if I were going to get a Japanese proverb in kanji, that’s the one I’d want.

You’re standing up (1) you fall down (1) you stand up (2)……..you fall down (7), you stand up (8)
It seems to the starting point, where you do nothing should be zero not one.

If standing there doing nothing is one count, then the sequence should go
1. stand still
2. fall down
3. get up
4. stand still do nothing
5. fall down
6. get up

The proverb seems to count only two actions. falling down and then getting up. If there are three positions (stand still is not action to me). then the 7 and 8 don't make sense to me.

Amazing the things we spend on time and effort on. All on friendly discourse of course. LOL

It's probably, as others have said, a chop. Collectors of particular prestige and the artists themselves sometimes attach them to paintings. I made my own western equivalent out of stampboard and a cork- DWW being my initials.
chop.jpg

It seems to the starting point, where you do nothing should be zero not one.

If standing there doing nothing is one count, then the sequence should go
1. stand still
2. fall down
3. get up
4. stand still do nothing
5. fall down
6. get up

The proverb seems to count only two actions. falling down and then getting up. If there are three positions (stand still is not action to me). then the 7 and 8 don't make sense to me.
Is the ground floor of a building in the USA zero or one?
Amazing the things we spend on time and effort on. All on friendly discourse of course. LOL
Only you, opr1945! 😉

Opinions?
Per Takase Studios, "Fall Down Seven, Get Up Eight in Japanese is 七転八起 which is read nana korobi ya oki.

This popular Japanese phrase speaks to the importance of getting back up despite repeated failures and to keep on going despite setbacks.

In Even Monkeys Fall from Trees: The Wit and Wisdom of Japanese Proverbs (Vol 1) by David Galef, the author equates this with the English saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”

Translations You Can Trust: We want you to be as happy with the Japanese translation as you are with Master Takase’s beautiful art. So we have made it easy to confirm the translation for yourself by simply clicking on Fall Down Seven, Get Up Eight (nana korobi ya oki) which links to the independent Jeffrey’s Japanese English Dictionary.

This beautiful Japanese calligraphy is the perfect gift for that special someone in your life facing adversity or setback. This hand-brushed art is a thoughtful gift that is sure to motivate and inspire."

Latest Discussions

Back