Qi Explained

Well, there is no proof any god of any religion exists, either, and people live their lives and wage wars over it.

I find qi a good concept to help describe the feeling of the movement you want to learn, for example. To build the tension, maintain the flow, build the stance, help the timing and generally help you imagine the feeling you should have in different aspects of your training.
Or how to work with your energy, in short.
It don't see it as anything supernatural, but a helpful concept. It is not something you can measure.
I believe learning to work with your body is the same as learning to work with your qi. It is to be aware of your body. For me, at least.
Actually, using religion to justify a war is a very grave form of blasphemy, which as christians we are commanded to avoid.

Ben Lo, a noted taiji practitioner probably would not agree with the idea that the beginning and ending move are double weighted,

Are these "double weighted"? Can he do this without "double weighted"?

wrestling_embrace.jpg

wrestling_embrace1.jpg

I am referring to the practice of "Iron palm" generally used in breaking things, causing others to have a bad day
when encountered.
Are you saying power generation is Qi Gong?

One demo that I liked to do was to stand a concrete block vertically on a table. I then used side kick to break it (before it flies away). I assume I can call that Qi Gong too.

Last edited:
Are you saying power generation is Qi Gong?

One demo that I liked to do was to stand a concrete block vertically on a table. I then used side kick to break it (before it flies away). I assume I can call that Qi Gong too.

Call it as you like.
What you can’t call it is “iron palm”

this is good but not "iron palm"

Last edited:
Guys.... thank you so much. I've thoroughly enjoyed this discussion, especially from the different understandings, backgrounds and experiences. Really insightful and I've learned a lot.

Have copied and pasted some posts into my notes for my future study and reflection haha.

This would also apply to nature, as natural forces are the physical expression (body) of the laws of physics (intent). The "ki of heaven" is gravity, and the "ki of earth" is ground reaction force.

Have explored this aspect

Would not label it as such, although it can explain certain reactions in videos that some have question
the reactions of those in the practice "demos" .

Have you done any work using this principle directly ?

Can you expound on the "nonexistent magic"

an accounting outlining an experience, and maybe some of why its not something
not known outside of inner circles ..
Just something that the older teacher's don't talk about, that they do..

Dachengquan-Xiao-Zhang.jpg

Reminiscences of Yao Zongxun – Part V
My Yiquan teacher is as Cui Ruibin a disciple of Yao Zhongxun, and as Cui Ruibin my teacher is not short of of stories and admiration of their teacher, but never talk of things as Qi, because as it’s said in that interview - it will lead astray.

From the book -‘Taikiken, essence of KungFu’ by Kenichi Sawai -

Whenever I think of the past, I see Wang Hsiang-ch'i (Wang Xiangzhai) and hear him saying:
'No matter if you hear ki explained a thousand time, you will never understand it on the basis of explanations alone. It is something that you must master on your own strength.'

https://www.taikiken.org

Kenichi Sawai studied from Wang Xiangzhai during the time when Wang(it was actually Yao Zongxun that oversaw Sawai’s learning) was still referring to that concept of Qi, but was more and more dropped later on.

Have explored this aspect

Would not label it as such, although it can explain certain reactions in videos that some have question
the reactions of those in the practice "demos" .

Have you done any work using this principle directly ?
With only GRF, in isolation? No. I've been trying to work with the Heaven/Earth/Man model, which can mean many things depending on whom you talk to...

From the book -‘Taikiken, essence of KungFu’ by Kenichi Sawai -

Whenever I think of the past, I see Wang Hsiang-ch'i (Wang Xiangzhai) and hear him saying:
'No matter if you hear ki explained a thousand time, you will never understand it on the basis of explanations alone. It is something that you must master on your own strength.'

https://www.taikiken.org

Kenichi Sawai studied from Wang Xiangzhai during the time when Wang(it was actually Yao Zongxun that oversaw Sawai’s learning) was still referring to that concept of Qi, but was more and more dropped later on.

Like his work, he wrote a book a while back.
The most important part of the study of Taiki-ken is the theory of ki (pronounced ch'i in Chinese).
Ki is an explosive power that must be instaneously and unconsciously manifested by the entire body
at the moment of attack or defense.

Feel a lot of things depends on the way a teacher was taught and method used.
My last teacher didn't say much, so much so that even some of the locals "Chinese" who could understand, left feeling he was not telling them enough..While I with poor to none Chinese language skill, just practiced while others were talking discussing.
In our training nothing was theory, everything was validated through experience.

With only GRF, in isolation? No. I've been trying to work with the Heaven/Earth/Man model, which can mean many things depending on whom you talk to...

Over the years many of the old master's attempt to use physics and western scientific method. to validate what they know intuitively, organically .

Also something I use as needed depending on those I work with...For those who are Chinese, non English speakers,
in my age group, non engineer types they understand things using the old models in the colloquial language describing them.

For some non Chinese, and Chinese versed in engineering or schooled in the western sense. Physics and other models work a little better. It is quite strange at times as they can read the words "qi" "yi" directly ect but often have no hands on idea of what it means..

GRF...In the video,,,found it quite interesting

1728661475534.jpeg

As it described the line of force generated throughout the body.
Think about what would happen if one could focus the line of force
into another body...How would they react, what would the reaction look like ?

Last edited:
"Think about what would happen if one could focus the line of force
Though another’s body...How would they react, what would the reaction look like ?"

Maybe it might look like
some of the work we do....

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back