Pepsi to Use Real Sugar in 'Pepsi Throwback' and 'Mountain Dew Throwback' in April

My name is Don
and I drink a ton of Mountain Dew.
I tried the Throwback by accident. Hey, it's a green friggin bottle...
I almost threw it back. It just tasted wrong.
The Pepsi I loved, but, the Mountain Dew, eww...

The Pepsi I loved, but, the Mountain Dew, eww...

Perhaps they should call it 'Mountain Ewww'

Mountain dew is not a big success in western Europe. I never came across it.
Anyway I remember not liking the HFCS cola in the US.

I am old enough to remember Mountain Dew when it still featured a hillbilly character on the bottle, holding a jug marked 'xxx' that was shooting it's cork straight up and through the brim of the guy's hat, with the catchphrase "It'll tickle your innards!"

radB501615645.jpg

The taste changed radically when Pepsi went to HFCS instead of cane sugar. I got used to it, but I remembered what Mountain Dew used to taste like, and missed it.

The "Throwback" Mountain Dew reminded me of the old Mountain Dew, but it was 'close but no cigar'.

I am told that Mountain Dew (and Pepsi, and many other products) are still made with cane sugar in Mexico - some people who live in cities like LA claim that it is imported and sold at bodegas and dollar stores if you know where to look. The only other option I am aware of is West Jefferson Doctor Pepper, which is a family-owned bottler in West Jefferson, North Carolina who never lost their franchise right to make Pepsi the way they want to, even though they are not a Pepsi bottler, but independent. They make it with cane sugar (Doctor Pepper, too) and sell it locally ONLY. They are not allowed to sell outside of their region. They do not advertise online. Some enterprising small companies go there and buy the stuff and sell it online at a huge markup.

So if you really really want cane sugar Pepsi, you have to try this - or look for local Mexican markets and see if they have imported Mexican Pepsi, etc.

Coke rep I talked to today said Coke has no intent of going back to sugar in the US. Suggested looking for Kosher Coke (with a yellow cap, not red) around Passover in the seasonal section of the store. Mexican Coke (and Pepsi) is still made with sugar because outside the US corn isn't paid off with tax dollars. I'll find out in December when I'm in Mexico I suspect. LOL!

I thought the Mountain Dew throwback was gross. It was pretty hard to find up here...I finally found a bottle at an independent gas station and...yuck! What a disappointment!

I didn't know about the Mountain Dew in Jefferson, Bill. I think my favorite drink as a kid was the Mountain Dew in glass bottles that was bottled in North Carolina. My grandparents, uncles, and ants always had some around when we came down to visit.

I think I'll look for that on my next trip to NC if...and only if...the doc says its OK.

I think, maybe I didn't like the Mountain Dew throwback, because I didn't start drinking Mountain Dew when it was made with the old recipe...

Possible. Then again, I just don't like MD. You know the Canadian version is caffeine free? What's the point I say. LOL!

US Sugar prices are artificially high to begin with, US Corn artificially low. Switch some of those tax dollars from subsidizing corn to subsidizing sugar, and it'll balance out. Pepsi rep I spoke to said Pepsi makes about 5c less per can of TB than regular. 1 can in a 12 pack selling for $3 costs 25c. Sells in a vending machine for $1. So, considering that amount of mark up, I say even as things are, they can make it, make a profit, and sell at the existing accepted price points, without raising prices.

'Throwback Coca-Cola' could be interesting, what with the cocaine and all.

I say Fie on your sweet drinks! Drink Beverly, and give your taste buds the punishment they truly deserve!

Eh, the amount of cocaine in there is so small, you'd have to drink a pallet just to get a little buzz.

Still have 30 cases in the hall. LOL

Thank you for contacting Pepsi-Cola regarding Pepsi Throwback.

I was happy to hear how much you enjoyed this refreshingly retro beverage sweetened with natural sugar.

After receiving an overwhelmingly positive response from consumers like you, we are thrilled to share that Throwback will be returning to store shelves for another eight weeks at the end of December! It’s the same formula you've come to love, but with a new take on the vintage packaging.

Thanks again for contacting us at Pepsi-Cola. We’re excited to continue this nostalgic trip back in time.

Well....TB was out again. Cans in cases are sold out, no more at the warehouse in WNY. Supply of 20oz and 2l is drying up early. Seems it sold like crazy. I didn't get any new cases, and only have 12 left from the previous batch. Supposedly, will be back out in the summer for a few weeks. Hope so. I'll need a reload then. LOL!

Well....TB was out again. Cans in cases are sold out, no more at the warehouse in WNY. Supply of 20oz and 2l is drying up early. Seems it sold like crazy. I didn't get any new cases, and only have 12 left from the previous batch. Supposedly, will be back out in the summer for a few weeks. Hope so. I'll need a reload then. LOL!

Here you go:

http://www.pepsithrowbackhub.com/

I can't partake anymore - the diabetes, ya know. But it was good while it lasted.

This time it looks like the Mountain Dew Throwback has real sugar and not beet sugar. Dang, I hope I can find some....not like my waistline needs it...

Plenty of 20oz Mt Dew here. 2l are rare though.

Latest Discussions

Back