Ok Everyone

header-art-of-guinness-1.jpg

I'm good.... thanks

Jameson. No bad decisions ever started with Jameson.

Born to a dad in his sixties and a mom in her forties, as a young teen I asked my father, “Hey dad, how did you meet mom?”

He told me, “It was a Romeo and Juliet romance, son, I was a bartender, your mother was a waitress and if it wasn’t for a bottle of Jameson you wouldn’t be here.”

He almost named me Jameson. True story.

Cool, he must have had a similar approach as my paternal grandfather. He was an RAF man and he named his oldest daughter Beverley after an aircraft that he knew, and his younger daughter Allison after the Allison aircraft engine.

Incidentally, I have a rather good single malt in if you promise me you're not going to add ice to it or mix it with ginger ale or coca cola

My father-in-laws best friend was ‘Professor of Whisky’ (actually of brewing) at Herriot Watt University in Scotland. He used to bring small medicine bottles filled with different types of whisky and gave us tutorials on what made the various tastes (fiery whisky = water percolated through igneous rocks, smoky whisky = water from peaty sources etc). His favourite type of whisky? A blend! He said there was silly snobbery attached to ‘single malts’ being better than blends but he said a blend, constructed by an expert palette, could have all desired taste configurations possible, compared to a single malt’s, at best, two dimensional flavour.

To be honest, most of the whiskey I actually drink is blended anyway. I have a habit of buying whole bottles from the pub. It's got to the point where the barman regularly asks me if I want a straw with it, it's become an in-joke.

Screenshot_20240706_033301_Google.jpg

Bit of trivia. The best whisky in the world is Tasmanian.

I was going to buy a bottle back in the day when it won. But thought $300 was a bit pricey. It's worth about $1400 these days.

Latest Discussions

Back