Name Taken

What do you disagree with?
This presupposes quite a bit. But there are a number of issues with it, some which should've been clear from this thread, some which it's fair you didn't know, and some which weren't fair assumptions on your part.
  1. It's not a school in my town, but a neighboring town. This would likely be worse for my integration to the community than helpful. It also would be confusing because people from the neighboring town might see the name and think I'm at that school on that road.
  2. There's another TKD school in my area that has an animal-based name. I do not want to be associated with them in any way, either as an ally or a rival. (The Master of that school has a lot of red flags, and a lot of allegations in the Google reviews). I do not want to look like I'm trying to compete with them. I want to stand on my own. Also, their name is based on our town's high school mascot.
  3. This presupposes that I will have a working relationship with the school. While not a bad idea, it's not a great to go in headfirst into something before that's been established. If I name myself after the school with no affiliation, that can cause more drama than it solves. I cannot control whether or not they want to affiliate with me.

** I am not a lawyer - nor an IP Expert just a person with some Local knowledge so take with a grain of salt **

DBA - Doing Business As it usually a local County registration.
LLC is state level and can be recognized outside the state

C and & S Corps are also done at the state level and then file for operation in other states.

Some people incorporate ( not usually martial artist as the volume of cash flow may not be there ) in special states that make it easier for tax reasons.

If the name is in the same country I would worry ( a little ).
If in the same state, you might be able to have a different form e.g. XYZ LLC versus XYZ Inc.

Check out your local state government for these types of entities.
Reach out to a lawyer if you have any serious questions.
Go sole proprietorship to start. Just make sure there are no trademarks to worry about (doubtful since it is a very common word/phrase).

** I am not a lawyer - nor an IP Expert just a person with some Local knowledge so take with a grain of salt **

DBA - Doing Business As it usually a local County registration.
LLC is state level and can be recognized outside the state

C and & S Corps are also done at the state level and then file for operation in other states.

Some people incorporate ( not usually martial artist as the volume of cash flow may not be there ) in special states that make it easier for tax reasons.

If the name is in the same country I would worry ( a little ).
If in the same state, you might be able to have a different form e.g. XYZ LLC versus XYZ Inc.

Check out your local state government for these types of entities.
Reach out to a lawyer if you have any serious questions.
LLC are the way to go if you can afford that path. It's limited liability protects the owners financially. If sued the plaintiff can only take what the business owns. A sole proprietorship is the easiest to start but it's unlimited liability. So if someone sues the business then they can also take your house if necessary to pay for damages in a lawsuit against you. The contract will need to be created so that it minimizes legal issues such as being sued because someone was injured.

Latest Discussions

Back