My Artwork

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My apologies to Martial Talk members. I read a thread that discussed martial artists who also draw and paint so I though I'd post some of my work. Unfortunately they are at too high of resolution to post. I will edit them down to size and repost them. Again, to those who opened this thread, I apologize.

Jonathan Randall said:
My apologies to Martial Talk members. I read a thread that discussed martial artists who also draw and paint so I though I'd post some of my work. Unfortunately they are at too high of resolution to post. I will edit them down to size and repost them. Again, to those who opened this thread, I apologize.

Image3.jpg

http://www.martialtalk.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=24
Here's one! Added through the galleries. It is a pencil portrait I did that won the "People's Choice Award" and Third Place (overall) at the 1998 West Coast Society of Portrait Artist's Annual Open Show. Sorry for the delay in figuring out how to post something. I now basically just do landscape painting (portraits are difficult for me, right now), but I was trained as a portrait artist.

WOW!!!!!!! Johnathan, those are just incredible!!!!

BlackCatBonz said:
Jonathan......that is simply amazing!

Thanks. The first is a pencil drawing, the second is an oil painting I did after a painting done by the Spanish Master Velazquez of his daughter in the 1600's.

Thanks all! I added a (somewhat sappy) landscape and a portrait of my Coxswain (I was a Coast Guard volunteer after 9/11) during the post 9/11 patrols. He looks tough, but he's really a very nice guy (provided you follow his orders to the letter, of course). The landscapes I am doing now are in bright colours because they are fun to do and also, frankly, because while people admire pencil work - but they don't buy it.

The two pencil portraits are separated by six years. One is heavily modeled and blended (the little girl), and the other (the Coxswain) is done in a more sketch-like fashion. I prefer the girl's style, but it takes too long to do too many in that style.

Those are really cool... I took an art class once; it just showed what I already knew, that I can't draw anything more complicated than a stick figure. That kind of hand-created art just fascinates me!

Really good work! I like the little girl the best probably because of the detail and that you captured her. I have discovered alot of artists that are also in martial arts both in my class and on MT. (me too) Keep in your studio doing stuff! TW

Back