Man changes his name after marriage and is accused of fraud

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting story

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50620321

A man got married to his vietnamese wife and took her last name to preserve it. Got his passport changed with the name and his credit cards etc. He then recieved a letter from the DMV/SoS that said he obtained it under false pretenses.

A few things that occur to me from this. First is the serious legal issues that are bubbling under by clinging to the marriage conventions that derive from inheritance laws that are somewhat out of date. Second is that Mrs Dinh is a very pretty lady and my congratulations to the groom.

Third and very irreverently and naughtily {I am sorry, I grew up on Carry On movies and am claiming comedic indoctrination} ... her name is Hand In? Seriously?! :lol:

Exactly. With everything else to worry about... this is small potatoes.

Of course, he could have prevented the whole thing with some legal advice and doing a formal name change.

Exactly. With everything else to worry about... this is small potatoes.

Of course, he could have prevented the whole thing with some legal advice and doing a formal name change.

getting married and changing your name IS a legal name change. been that way for billions of women, all over the world, for centuries.

Ah, equality under the law...

getting married and changing your name IS a legal name change. been that way for billions of women, all over the world, for centuries.

All depends on what the law books say... If they don't have a provision for the man to change his name, then he has to go through the complicated process. And that can be as simple as the wording of the law or admin regulations being "names may be changed when she presents a marriage certificate..." versus "names may be changed upon presentation of a marriage certificate."

All depends on what the law books say... If they don't have a provision for the man to change his name, then he has to go through the complicated process. And that can be as simple as the wording of the law or admin regulations being "names may be changed when she presents a marriage certificate..." versus "names may be changed upon presentation of a marriage certificate."

LOL, I am sure it is.
but it IS discrimination.
What's good for the goose (and a PITA) is good for the Gander. Equality....

That the man chose to take his wife's name and caught Hell for it is clearly sexist.

Interesting story

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50620321

A man got married to his vietnamese wife and took her last name to preserve it. Got his passport changed with the name and his credit cards etc. He then recieved a letter from the DMV/SoS that said he obtained it under false pretenses.

Anybody can change their name to just about anything they want. If he did it correctly, we could add that to the long list of dmv ****ups.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

LOL, I am sure it is.
but it IS discrimination.
What's good for the goose (and a PITA) is good for the Gander. Equality....
I'm not saying it's not discrimination... but you still have to play the game by the rules.

Anybody can change their name to just about anything they want. If he did it correctly, we could add that to the long list of dmv ****ups.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
As a fellow Californian, this may interest you:
A friend of mine started working at the DMV here. Yesterday, they spent an hour of "training" making paper airplanes. No, I have no further context, but, the phrases "Your tax dollars at work" and "Look for the Union Label" leap to mind... My theory: They practice by wasting their time so they can be really good at wasting our time.

I'm not saying it's not discrimination... but you still have to play the game by the rules.

true.
but, hmm....should not somebody along the line have informed him that he needed to take that extra step?
Like I said, it is as simple as signing the marriage license for women, should he not assume it is the same for him? Or have somebody along the lines of signing papers in his state go 'oh, wait a gosh darn second...'

But maybe I am too German, and expect the office poeople to actually know their stuff :)
ah goody!

true.
but, hmm....should not somebody along the line have informed him that he needed to take that extra step?
Like I said, it is as simple as signing the marriage license for women, should he not assume it is the same for him? Or have somebody along the lines of signing papers in his state go 'oh, wait a gosh darn second...'

But maybe I am too German, and expect the office poeople to actually know their stuff :)
ah goody!

Three seperate layers of workers. His passport and Soc. Sec identifiers are both Federal, and the feds don't care. His credit cards and bank accounts are corporate, and they don't care, as long as they get their cold, hard cash. The DMV is state, and, as the article states, Florida has no relevant law. So what probably happened is that someone on the line made a decision, his boss passed it on, and his boss's boss changed the decision, and called the lawyers before calling Mr. Dihn.

Say what??

Some women choose to keep their maiden names after
marriage. If you are one of these women, it may be helpful
to have one form of identification that identifies you by
your husband’s name. A passport could be a good choice,
because it is a legal document.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FY/FY04500.pdf

Latest Discussions

Back