Lost Floyed Albums

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey all,
This has little to do with anything but I thought I would throw it out there.
I purchsed a few Syd Barret cds and found out later that the entire Pink Floyed Band backs him up except for Roger Waters. They arent bad.
Also if you want to get more pinkfloyed stuff, they usualy back Roy Harper (an unofficial member) whom sang "have a cigar" on the "wish you were here" album.
Sean

If I understand Pink Floyd's history... Syd Barrett was an original member and then he "lost it" and the albums Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall (supposedly a trilogy) are dedicated/about him. But... that's what I heard.

MACaver said:
If I understand Pink Floyd's history... Syd Barrett was an original member and then he "lost it" and the albums Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall (supposedly a trilogy) are dedicated/about him. But... that's what I heard.
I think the whole insanity thing was an obsession of Roger Waters. I had heard that about "Wish you were here" but by the time the wall came out I beleive Mr. Waters was simply exploring The whole rock star/insanity thing independent of Syd and I read the rest of the band was getting pretty fed up. And yes Syd Barrett had fried his brain on so much acid, he was simply no longer the person that thrust them into stardum. :uhohh:
Sean

Syd apparently just couldn't handle the fame. He continued to produce decent solo work for a time (an no, the acid didn't help him at all....)
Waters had his own issues; the remaining members continued to produce good (though different) material without him.

well at least Syd didn't go like Cobain but it's just as bad... As far as Waters goes... well I guess the question now is... would've Floyd been just AS good without Waters? I've heard the Gilmore led albums of late Floyd but they just don't seem to have the impact that a Gilmore/Waters inspired album does. I never liked anything that Waters did after Floyd and apparently neither did anyone else as (as I recall) he only did one solo after that... then again so did Gilmore.
Ironic how these two song-writers like other song-writing pairs (i.e. Plant/Page, Tyler/Perry, etc.) just don't do well without their counterparts alone.
Even further only (to my present recollection) one band has managed to break apart and each of the main song-writing pair went on to nearly as successful solo careers... of course I'm talking about McCartney and Lennon.
Harrison was successful. Starr for some reason while having a few hits here and there wasn't as.

Wait a tic! We're talking about Floyd...

:uhyeah:

MACaver said:
well at least Syd didn't go like Cobain but it's just as bad... As far as Waters goes... well I guess the question now is... would've Floyd been just AS good without Waters? I've heard the Gilmore led albums of late Floyd but they just don't seem to have the impact that a Gilmore/Waters inspired album does. I never liked anything that Waters did after Floyd and apparently neither did anyone else as (as I recall) he only did one solo after that... then again so did Gilmore.
Ironic how these two song-writers like other song-writing pairs (i.e. Plant/Page, Tyler/Perry, etc.) just don't do well without their counterparts alone.
Even further only (to my present recollection) one band has managed to break apart and each of the main song-writing pair went on to nearly as successful solo careers... of course I'm talking about McCartney and Lennon.
Harrison was successful. Starr for some reason while having a few hits here and there wasn't as.

Wait a tic! We're talking about Floyd...

:uhyeah:
I really liked "Radio Chaos" thank you very much!!! Roger had a second solo album after that, that I own and never really listen too. David Gilmore is a great musician but a poor song writer. His solo stuff reminds me of Jeff Beck (Bogert an Appice erra) which didn't do well either. While still in Floyed, Waters Did a solo album with Eric Clapton called, " The Pros and Cons Of Hitchhicking" which is cool but by no means a party album.
My favorite Pink Floyed Album, hands down, was, "Animals". What about you guys?
Sean
Floyed with out Waters is like drinking decaffinated Black coffee. What's the point?

Hey, I sometimes drink black decaf!! (ok, half-caf, but still....)
Album preference varies a lot with my moods. Meddle is a personal favorite, but only in the right frame of mind. DSOTM may legitmately be their best; heard as a whole there always seems to be something else there (kind of like Sgt. Pepper's).
Roger Waters brought a lot to the band in the process of facing his own demons; once that was done (or seemed to be done) with the final cut it seems like he wasn't sure where to go or what to do.

Touch'O'Death said:
I really liked "Radio Chaos" thank you very much!!! Roger had a second solo album after that, that I own and never really listen too. David Gilmore is a great musician but a poor song writer. His solo stuff reminds me of Jeff Beck (Bogert an Appice erra) which didn't do well either. While still in Floyed, Waters Did a solo album with Eric Clapton called, " The Pros and Cons Of Hitchhicking" which is cool but by no means a party album.
My favorite Pink Floyed Album, hands down, was, "Animals". What about you guys?
Sean
Floyed with out Waters is like drinking decaffinated Black coffee. What's the point?
I just remembered part of a song lyric on "Pros and cons..",

There were Arabs with knives
At the foot of the bed
There were Arabs with knives
At the foot of the bed

Sean(www.iemat.com)

Latest Discussions

Back