Last Poster #7

Giant centipedes belong to the genus Scolopendra. They are cosmotropical. They are older than insects. The Peruvian example can reach nearly two feet long and can consume an entire adult rat, bones and all in about 30-45 minutes. The venom is injected by maxillopeds not a bite. Maxillopeds are actually the first pair of legs. All of their feet have the venom but to a much lesser effect which is why they leave track if they run across your skin. The venom contains a powerful receptor blocking agent that can prevent pain medication from being effective. The Vietnamese version has caused a couple of deaths but these were old, or children. Each pair of legs has a spiracle, rapid movement aids respiration as the muscles for each leg receives oxygen directly through the spiracle creating a supercharger effect. This is why they can move so fast and are incredibly strong. There’s your zoo story for today guys!

Got invaded by ants one day last week.
Then the bees came.
A few days later the mud wasps.
Then it was tiny spiders.
Then cockroaches the size of your thumb.
Took care of them all.

Today the ants sent reinforcements.

Got my belt embroidered.

20240705_140831.jpg

We have house centipedes in TN. Handy against certain other bugs, but man does their bite hurt!
The Vietnamese centipedes can get to about a foot long and the bite is venomous, at least in the young ones, not sure if they keep that venom when they get that big....basically they are the thing nightmares are made of

See post 8863

I’ve never been stung by a centipede out here. But a lot of my friends have. They tell me it hurts like hell for three days. A burning constant pain. Where they get stung swells a little and hardens up, then after three days it stops and things are back to normal.

My Lieutenant at the airport got stung in the back of the neck in one of our patrol cars. He’s a hardcore beast from the Bronx and didn’t complain. But I knew it hurt, I could see it in his eyes. Sure glad it wasn’t me.

My dog, who I love dearly, doesn’t like centipedes. I keep my eye out for them when we’re in the yard, keep her away, put her in the house and then go kill them.

But she’s faster than I am and usually sees them before I do.

So far she’s snatched about a dozen of them, gives them a wicked quick bulldog shake to break them, then tosses them and barks.

I know it’s only a matter of time before she gets stung, so I’m always vigilant.

Dogs are the balls. Centipedes suck.

I’ve never been stung by a centipede out here. But a lot of my friends have. They tell me it hurts like hell for three days. A burning constant pain. Where they get stung swells a little and hardens up, then after three days it stops and things are back to normal.

My Lieutenant at the airport got stung in the back of the neck in one of our patrol cars. He’s a hardcore beast from the Bronx and didn’t complain. But I knew it hurt, I could see it in his eyes. Sure glad it wasn’t me.

My dog, who I love dearly, doesn’t like centipedes. I keep my eye out for them when we’re in the yard, keep her away, put her in the house and then go kill them.

But she’s faster than I am and usually sees them before I do.

So far she’s snatched about a dozen of them, gives them a wicked quick bulldog shake to break them, then tosses them and barks.

I know it’s only a matter of time before she gets stung, so I’m always vigilant.

Dogs are the balls. Centipedes suck.
Most especially Staffordshire bull terriers… Benny the Bullit is king in his yard!
image.jpg

How bout Wana? I would rather be attacked by a centipede than get Wana spines again. For people who aren’t familiar with marine fauna in Hawaii, it’s an urchin that has long thin barbed spines that break off in a victim that touches it. It hurts for months and it’s very difficult to remove. @Buka doesn’t go in the ocean much if I remember correctly, so no chance of him getting it.

About an hour after we were talking about centipedes I was sitting on the couch sipping an ice cold beer when something caught my eye.

A centipede was crawling up the leg of my jeans. I’ve never seen a centipede inside my house. Outside in the yard or on the porch, sure, but not inside.

But, hey, I’m a trained fighter and acted accordingly. Screamed like a little girl, jumped up off the couch (still screaming) so high it fell to the floor and I stomped it about thirty times.

I’m getting ready now to burn the fricken house down. I’m still scared and want my mommy.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 11
About an hour after we were talking about centipedes I was sitting on the couch sipping an ice cold beer when something caught my eye.

A centipede was crawling up the leg of my jeans. I’ve never seen a centipede inside my house. Outside in the yard or on the porch, sure, but not inside.

But, hey, I’m a trained fighter and acted accordingly. Screamed like a little girl, jumped up off the couch (still screaming) so high it fell to the floor and I stomped it about thirty times.

I’m getting ready now to burn the fricken house down. I’m still scared and want my mommy.
And there it is ladies and gents, a Scolopendra subspinipes!

Wow! Serendipitous indeed!

I saw a friend of mine do something similar when a mouse ran through his kitchen.... he screamed, kicked it across the room and the mouse was dead...... my friend was a soccer player who eventually went pro for a bit.... his kick was deadly, s well as darn accurate

Back