Korean Master's VS. American Master's

I think because of their line of work it is not as necessary to learn the language and customs of their newly adopted country. Our GM has been in australia for almost 40 years but still speaks very little english. In saying that though, he moved here and started a tkd club using korean terminoligies and commands and had an australian chief instructor in place to deal with all the public relations, answering the business phone, doing all the talking at gradings etc etc so there was really no need for him to better understand our language or culture compared to a korean who moves here and opens a fruit shop or a video store or something where they have to let go a bit from their korean heritage. The fact he speaks little english actually makes him appear more 'authentic' to onlookers I guess.

The fact he speaks little english actually makes him appear more 'authentic' to onlookers I guess.
Sad but true.

A good friend of mine who has a tai chi background ran afoul of a Chinese instructor who actually knew very little tai chi, but had a karate background. She figured out very quickly that she was more skilled and knowledgeable than he was, as did a few other students. Most, however, just assumed that because he was Chinese that he was authentic.

I have gotten to a point where the Korean or non Korean makes no difference to me because I know what I'm looking at. I think that for those who do not know what they're looking at however, the nationality still adds authenticity.

I think that from a cultural standpoint, a Korean from Korea does add to the authenticity. But from a technical standpoint, I do not feel that it does.

Daniel

Sad but true.

A good friend of mine who has a tai chi background ran afoul of a Chinese instructor who actually knew very little tai chi, but had a karate background. She figured out very quickly that she was more skilled and knowledgeable than he was, as did a few other students. Most, however, just assumed that because he was Chinese that he was authentic.

Unfortunately, I can tell the same sad story on a personal level. I've had more than one prospective student tell me they wanted to train with an Asian (that is my cultural heritage) to learn the 'real' stuff.

Unfortunately, I can tell the same sad story on a personal level. I've had more than one prospective student tell me they wanted to train with an Asian (that is my cultural heritage) to learn the 'real' stuff.

Just the other day a gentleman came into my school and one of his first question was is the head instructor Korean, I reply no he is American, then he said Korean American again I said no he is Jewish American, he laughed and said what type of school is this that a Jewish American can run it? I said sir the head instructor is pretty well erse in the art of TKD and he said he only wanted to train with a Korean Master because they are simply the only ones that can teach TKD the right way. I just started laughing and said this may not be the right school for you, his reply I want to meet this so called Korean want to be, I said have a sit and he will be right with you, I bow out the class and bow in the next and my junior instructor started the warm up drill, I came back put out my hand and said I am Master Stoker and how can I help you. The look on his face was priceless as he did not know what to say, he sad he was sorry and meant no dis-respect at all. I simply told him that he never ask if I was the head instructor or not he just started to make blanket statements about the school and asking question that I answer with the approbiate answer. I guess the most common mistake people make is that asian influx that people seem to need to make it seem right.

Just the other day a gentleman came into my school and one of his first question was is the head instructor Korean, I reply no he is American, then he said Korean American again I said no he is Jewish American, he laughed and said what type of school is this that a Jewish American can run it? I said sir the head instructor is pretty well erse in the art of TKD and he said he only wanted to train with a Korean Master because they are simply the only ones that can teach TKD the right way. I just started laughing and said this may not be the right school for you, his reply I want to meet this so called Korean want to be, I said have a sit and he will be right with you, I bow out the class and bow in the next and my junior instructor started the warm up drill, I came back put out my hand and said I am Master Stoker and how can I help you. The look on his face was priceless as he did not know what to say, he sad he was sorry and meant no dis-respect at all. I simply told him that he never ask if I was the head instructor or not he just started to make blanket statements about the school and asking question that I answer with the approbiate answer. I guess the most common mistake people make is that asian influx that people seem to need to make it seem right.

To be fair, I believe some this prejudice stems from the last century when some instructors would hold back information from foreigners to keep some type of 'advantage' for themselves. So some would think that only an Asian teacher would know the good stuff.

I would like to think this is no longer the case. My own teacher transmitted everything martial he knew to me (wish I had made an effort to learn the acupuncture/healing arts he offered to teach me) and I likewise will teach whatever I know to any of my students who are ready for it.

I remember thinking "America Is a wonderful country" after learning my Ju Jitsu Cub taught at the YMCA, taught by a Dutchman would be cancelled because the building would be closed for the Jewish Holiday of Yom Kippur.

Latest Discussions

Back