Korean Master's VS. American Master's

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your honest opinion what are the differences between having a true Korean Master VS. the American Master. I would say it would be the cultual diferences they each would have over a period. I have seen the Koreans be so more spiritual inside a dojaang than most Americans. Most American on the other hand do not see much value in all the material as most pick and chooses what should be tought. So in your years in TKD what is your views on this?

Americans are much more likely to answer questions and explain things, much better at communication. Koreans teneded to not like questions.

In your honest opinion what are the differences between having a true Korean Master VS. the American Master. I would say it would be the cultual diferences they each would have over a period. I have seen the Koreans be so more spiritual inside a dojaang than most Americans. Most American on the other hand do not see much value in all the material as most pick and chooses what should be tought. So in your years in TKD what is your views on this?

I have had the good fortune of learning Taekwondo from Kenyan, Korean, Korean-American. Caucasion-American and African American masters over the last 24 years. They were all good teachers. with varying strengths and weakness.

I couldn't honestly say that the differences between my teachers were driven by straight ethnic and cultural background. It appears to me that the majority of my masters' teaching styles and techniques came from their own teachers (who all happen to be old school Korean).

One interesting thing is that I've always felt I learn more about practical Taekwondo from lower ranked masters (4th-6th Dan) compared to the 7th-9th Dan teachers.

What I've picked up from the higher ranked and older Korean masters are the business, management, organization and theoritical aspects of Taekwondo.

My long time instructors are American, but I did train under a Korean Master for a couple of years while I was in college. The major difference was that I also had the impression that the Korean was less open to questions form students. It was more of him telling you what to do, doing a few examples and then having the class follow along. Critiques would follow, of course, if needed. You could ask a question or two maybe after class if you still didn't understand something.

My instructors, on the other hand, are more open to students asking questions if they don't understand something. This is, however, not something that should be construed as meaning training just becomes a bull session. I have been in class plenty of times when they've answered a question or two (or three) and when asked something again, simply stated that what the student realy needs is more practice to be able to understand what is being taught. Lots of engineering and science types in their class who tend to want to (over) analyze things if they don't get it on the first or second try so they've had a lot of practice telling them not to get caught up in asking about every possible variable before simply trying to get the technique down.

In my experience, I think it is more a matter of degree than anything else in this area.

Pax,

Chris

Our first Grand Master was a Korean he came to the USA in 1981. He is a honest and fair man. One of the things that impressed me most was the fact that when he got kick-backs from other Korean Master's for attending tournaments he would refund the money to the sparing team to cover expenses.

He has been in business for 29 years in the same location.

Our current Master is 1/2 Korean and come from a long line of Korean Martial Artists. He is highly influenced by Korea and is also a very honest man.

I have not had any of the experiences that many have told about of dishonest Korean Masters. I am a true believer that character is a characteristic of each individual and race has nothing to do with it. The only person that has deceived
me has been a Non-Korean and we left his studio as fast as we could!

As you know FFF has limited experience and the only 2 main instuctors that Lil' Tiger and Dragon Kid have are the GM, and a 2nd Dan. The GM is Korean and is more authoritative then the American 2nd Dan. From watching them teach they both have their positives. I think it is good for any person to get more then 1 perspective on training, etc. Like in any sport, if you just have 1 trainer or 1 coach, you have a greater chance of stagnating in the long run.... I don't really see any "negative" difference, I think they are just both "different" from eachother.... just my 2 cents :D

Interesting choice of words. Might it be different for a non true Korean Master?
IMNSHO the difference between the old timers and the Americans was perhaps both a communication and methodology issue. Their english communication skills were poor and since they learned by having their instructors say "do this" that is how they taught. Their is a difference between being able to do something and being able to teach it.

Had a Czech student tell me the difference between how I taught and his Korean instructor. It went something like this. Our instructor says "get in the car and drive. You explain, how the car works and how we can get the car to do what we want it to do and why we want it to do that."

Now I have had experience with some Koreans who were the antithesis of what I described above. General Choi was very detailed in his explanations as can be seen from his texts. Kwang Sik Myung was also very detailed in his demonstrations and explanations.

For many older generation isntructors the extent of the instruction was "Like this" and sometimes, "Not like this, Like this".

I have only ever trained under a korean GM and live in australia so I obviously have not trained under an american master. One small difference I have noticed, however, are some of the 'traditions'. I remember on the first night I ever trained I had my arms folded and the black belts looked at me as if Id killed some one. They told me to never cross my arms and to this day I just dont (and not just because I dont want the 100 push ups). Recently, though, I was at my daughter's school and another club was doing a demo and their australian master stood in the corner of the stage watching the demo in uniform with his arms crossed and I was a bit taken aback by it but in reality those things dont affect the quality of the training they are just cultural I guess. There are many other examples of these sorts of things I have noticed also but they really just add a korean flavour to the training and not much else.

I apologies to the masses, I should have said Non- Korean Master.:asian:

I don't think there is a problem with saying American Master. We are after all in the USA! I think as the conversation evolved it probably morphed into Non-Korean Master. Probably a more fitting term in the end.

I don't think there is a problem with saying American Master. We are after all in the USA! I think as the conversation evolved it probably morphed into Non-Korean Master. Probably a more fitting term in the end.

I know but a few have mention they are oversea's so the term was a little dis-tasting to them. No worries in the end I just hate to offend anybody you know me the diplomate all the way...
icon10.gif

I know but a few have mention they are oversea's so the term was a little dis-tasting to them. No worries in the end I just hate to offend anybody you know me the diplomate all the way...
icon10.gif

My apologies to our overseas friends also!!! We have allot of posters from other countries I did not mean to offend.

I thought maybe you referred to those with the airplane promotions. On their way to the USA when their plane crosses the international Dan line and their renk jumps up a few degrees.

I thought maybe you referred to those with the airplane promotions. On their way to the USA when their plane crosses the international Dan line and their renk jumps up a few degrees.

No those would be future Grand Master's
icon10.gif

In your honest opinion what are the differences between having a true Korean Master VS. the American Master.
Most of my instructors over the years have been Korean, and have run the gamut from 'do like this' to being very informative and open to questions. I have observed that this openness is in direct proportion to their language skills.

Now our kwanjang is somewhere in the middle. He is open to a question or two, but if you want to keep asking questions, do it after class. His explanations tend to be short and to the point, but convey what is needed to answer the question.

American instructors that I have had tend to be either more technical in their approach or run class the way a coach runs a high school football practice.

Koreans tend to act and behave more like Koreans and Americans more like westerners: body language general mannerisms, and social norms differ. Not in a good or a bad way; just different.

I would say it would be the cultual diferences they each would have over a period. I have seen the Koreans be so more spiritual inside a dojaang than most Americans. Most American on the other hand do not see much value in all the material as most pick and chooses what should be tought. So in your years in TKD what is your views on this?
I think that on the spiritual side, much of the spiritual that you see in Asian martial arts is a part of Asian culture. Americans already have established spirituality. Also, Americans have bigger hangups over spirituality and are more apt to avoid it in an instructor/student setting.

Daniel

My experience has been much like the generalizations that others have mentioned. My first instructor was a Korean man. While his English did improve while I knew him, he didn't express himself much. Whether this was a language issue or a cultural issue, I'm not sure. My guess is that it is more cultural, based on a recent conversation with him. Either way, he was not exactly chatty. He would teach a lot by demonstrating techniques & then adding corrections. He was blunt, but kind.

American masters I've trained with tend to be more chatty & explain the "why's & wherefore's" of the techniques as they teach. Although I had one who neither demonstrated much nor corrections. It was not uncommon for him to just say, "you did it wrong" & then walk away.

I think the perceived "spiritual side" that some have mentioned here is more a result of Korean culture than anything else. Not speaking unless there being a reason to speak & such. That has been my experience, anyway.

"American masters I've trained with tend to be more chatty & explain the "why's & wherefore's" of the techniques as they teach."

I believe this is mainly due to language barrier. Every time we had a Korean kid in class I noticed very long detailed instruction in Korean and explanation. Sometimes later the student would tell us the teacher said do it X way because X. Language barrier is what it is.

Our Original GM has had a Dojang for 29 years. I have the privilege of knowing his first BB's they are 5th and 6th degrees now. They have a very strained relationship with our old GM. What I have noticed thought is that his BB from the 90's on have a very different take on him. He is much beloved by all those who have trained with him over the last 20 years. When I think about it. It probably took him 10 years to adjust to our language and culture. This maybe the source of allot of the friction. I would also have to say that the 35 younger Koreans seem to have a much easier time adjusting to our culture as we become a more of world culture.

My wife is Asian (Filipino). Culturally we had many adjustments at first. But after 19 years of marriage I think that we have both changed adapting the best of both worlds. I think that the Asian influence in my life has helped me grow as a person. I think that my kids are much better for having grown up in both worlds.

I think that Martial Arts also helps bridge the gap of both cultures!!!

"American masters I've trained with tend to be more chatty & explain the "why's & wherefore's" of the techniques as they teach."

I believe this is mainly due to language barrier. Every time we had a Korean kid in class I noticed very long detailed instruction in Korean and explanation. Sometimes later the student would tell us the teacher said do it X way because X. Language barrier is what it is.

The language and cultural barrier s a big issue.

Last weekend I met and said hello to Master Jong-Beeom Park, 7th Dan, vice chairman of the Education Committee of the Kukkiwon and Korea team coach at the 1st WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships. He was teaching and judging poomsae at the annual USNTF international tournament.

Master Park seemed surprised that I said hello to him, and he mumbled something back. When I tried to engage him in conversation he appeared to be agitated and walked away. I initially thought he must be a very rude man, but I later learned that he knows very little English and was terrified of talking to people. I would have guessed this if Master Park had smiled and tried to explain he didn't know much English, but all did was put on a very serious face for most of the day at the tournament.

A Korean-American grandmaster explained that Master Park was trying his best to appear polite and dignified in front of junior and senior masters.

Latest Discussions

Back