Kenpo in Massachusetts

Tonight was an interesting Kenpo class. It was the first time since joining this school that the sensei had us practicing rolling. This came rather naturally to me. I had practiced rolling quite a bit when I was still doing Aikido. The other students had some issue with rolling which led me to belief that it is not trained much in Kenpo. I guess it would make sense considering Kenpo is more of a striking art where Aikido is more throws and joint manipulation. I just found it interesting, but the sensei was quite impressed.

What an exciting class it was this morning. I showed up at the first class at 9 am and noticed that I was the only non-black belt in the dojo. My sensei had one of the black belts start warming me up, but I quickly realized that this was a smoke session. I was doing mountain climbers, jumping jacks, and pushups, over and over again! After I was already tired, the sensei had me going through everything I had learned up to this point (at least three times each) This included the self-defense techs, katas, forms, and pinans. Also, lots of rapid punching! For a good hour I went nonstop. Finally, at the end I was informed that I had been ready to be an orange belt since I became a yellow belt and was presented my orange belt. Had no idea this was coming but it made my day. It feels good to know that I am ahead of the game and already know quite a bit for purple. The journey has been wonderful, and I really love Kenpo and my school.

What an exciting class it was this morning. I showed up at the first class at 9 am and noticed that I was the only non-black belt in the dojo. My sensei had one of the black belts start warming me up, but I quickly realized that this was a smoke session. I was doing mountain climbers, jumping jacks, and pushups, over and over again! After I was already tired, the sensei had me going through everything I had learned up to this point (at least three times each) This included the self-defense techs, katas, forms, and pinans. Also, lots of rapid punching! For a good hour I went nonstop. Finally, at the end I was informed that I had been ready to be an orange belt since I became a yellow belt and was presented my orange belt. Had no idea this was coming but it made my day. It feels good to know that I am ahead of the game and already know quite a bit for purple. The journey has been wonderful, and I really love Kenpo and my school.
Congratulations

So, SO awesome brother, huge congratulations on a wonderful step in your journey!! So heart-warming to hear how much you're loving it too 🙏🏻

Congrats!

So, SO awesome brother, huge congratulations on a wonderful step in your journey!! So heart-warming to hear how much you're loving it too 🙏🏻
Thank you so much my brother! It was a very nice surprise. I actually like having a surprise test rather than one that I know about ahead of time 😁

Latest Discussions

Back