Kenpo in Massachusetts

I started working at the Boston Police Academy as a civilian contractor teaching Defensive Tactics. Four different students of mine, Boston cops, taught DT at the academy covering a period of about fifteen years. They all moved up and onward, eventually becoming superintendents, chief and Commissioner. (The boys done good)

I was running a full time dojo at the time. All first responders trained for free, as well as almost everyone else. I had to go get a real job to eat. I found work as a Federal Police Officer teaching DT full time to a 74 man law enforcement unit attached to the Federal Reserve. It was a lot of fun, they actually paid you, gave you great benefits and a gold shield that let you go anywhere you wanted.

I never took advantage of that, I was in Fenway Park and Patriot Stadium on business. Yeah, that’s the ticket, business.
Impressive! I have aspirations to teach one day as well. Obviously I have a few years to go but that is one of my goals. That's great that you gave first responders free tuition. At that point there really is no excuse not to train, unless of course it's family or medical situations.

That gold shield is a nice perk. I will settle for my discounted meal at Chipotle even though I would rather go to Moe's 😎

I think after I retire from being a CO I would like to open a dojo and teach. I will probably give free tuition to law enforcement and Veterans. Just one way to give back and say thanks.

I’d like that. I have some close friends in Maine.

I’m also writing a horror novel that takes place in Northern Maine. I’ve been doing so much research about Maine the last couple years I know more about it than I do about Massachusetts or Hawaii. Maine rocks.
York is one of my go-to places. Bar Harbor is nice too, just freakin far.

I’d like that. I have some close friends in Maine.

I’m also writing a horror novel that takes place in Northern Maine. I’ve been doing so much research about Maine the last couple years I know more about it than I do about Massachusetts or Hawaii. Maine rocks.
Luckily I will likely be in Southern Maine,.... and hopefully horror free :)

Mrs Xue has to be close to Boston Chinatown and Logan Airport ;)

@Stu Young
I am currently in Northbrookfield. Grew up in worcester. Any time you want to get together , shoot me a message.
Thanks for reaching out hoshin. Do you study Kenpo? I am a beginner, studying the style of Nick Cerio lineage. The training has been great and I am always looking to learn more.

Impressive! I have aspirations to teach one day as well. Obviously I have a few years to go but that is one of my goals. That's great that you gave first responders free tuition. At that point there really is no excuse not to train, unless of course it's family or medical situations.

That gold shield is a nice perk. I will settle for my discounted meal at Chipotle even though I would rather go to Moe's 😎

I think after I retire from being a CO I would like to open a dojo and teach. I will probably give free tuition to law enforcement and Veterans. Just one way to give back and say thanks.

When I left my dojo to move here I turned the whole thing over to my business partner, who was my top student, close friend of the family (his grandfather and my farther were good friends.) and he was a Boston cop. You know what he did? He started charging cops. You know what happened? They started to come in droves.

Go figure. But that’s what happened. I strongly advise to reconsider letting anyone train for free.

When I left my dojo to move here I turned the whole thing over to my business partner, who was my top student, close friend of the family (his grandfather and my farther were good friends.) and he was a Boston cop. You know what he did? He started charging cops. You know what happened? They started to come in droves.

Go figure. But that’s what happened. I strongly advise to reconsider letting anyone train for free.
Wow, I'm surprised that more students came after he started to charge them for classes. Do you think that is because maybe they thought free classes were too good to be true? Potential scam? I guess that having a dollar sign attached gives it more weight. I would never want to overcharge though. Making it affordable would be my aim, especially in today's economy.

Wow, I'm surprised that more students came after he started to charge them for classes. Do you think that is because maybe they thought free classes were too good to be true? Potential scam? I guess that having a dollar sign attached gives it more weight. I would never want to overcharge though. Making it affordable would be my aim, especially in today's economy.
People attach more value to things they pay for.

What I've heard from some cerio kenpo practitioners is that he had insanely fast hands. My experience with students of the style lends me to think that's true.

I've also not heard anyone mention it farther west than the east coast, or farther south than new jersey. Seems to be very localized

Thanks for reaching out hoshin. Do you study Kenpo? I am a beginner, studying the style of Nick Cerio lineage. The training has been great and I am always looking to learn more.
I did Villari kenpo in the early 80's. Did about 8 years of that then moved on to other styles.

What I've heard from some cerio kenpo practitioners is that he had insanely fast hands. My experience with students of the style lends me to think that's true.
Fast hands is a trademark of American kenpo. Parker, Tatum, Speakman and others I've seen could hit you 6 times within 1.5 seconds thanks to "economy of motion." Maybe not knockout power, but the combos can set up a KO. Plus, the barrage keeps one from counterattacking in the meantime.

I've also not heard anyone mention it farther west than the east coast, or farther south than new jersey. Seems to be very localized
From what I've learned is that the NC lineage was primarily spread through the New England area.

Fast hands is a trademark of American kenpo. Parker, Tatum, Speakman and others I've seen could hit you 6 times within 1.5 seconds thanks to "economy of motion." Maybe not knockout power, but the combos can set up a KO. Plus, the barrage keeps one from counterattacking in the meantime.
That's fast as heck. Larry Tatum still actively teaches?

He was a student of Nick Cerio, who then added a couple other things and created his own style.
It looks like it is heavily based on Shaolin Kung Fu. Never got into Kung Fu. In fact, Kenpo is my first real hard style martial art. The only other ones I've trained in are Aikido and combatives.

It looks like it is heavily based on Shaolin Kung Fu. Never got into Kung Fu. In fact, Kenpo is my first real hard style martial art. The only other ones I've trained in are Aikido and combatives.
That's what they claim. I'm not going to go into too much detail to avoid violating any rules on this sub, but short answer is how much kung fu is included is highly dependent on the school itself, and it's much closer to other ken/mpo systems than it is any chinese system I'm familiar with (at its base).

The barrages can definitely be intimidating if you aren't expecting it. Even if you are.

Now if only we could convince them to stop hitting themselves between each strike :p

Greetings everyone. My name is Stu, and I have recently started training in Professor Cerio's Kenpo in Massachusetts. I have done some reading on the history and lineage of the art. So far, I am enjoying it greatly. I am looking to get some feedback from others who train in this style. In the past I have done some Aikido (off and on) but began being drawn towards Kenpo a year ago. I have always thought of martial arts my whole life and finally found the right time to get serious. I would love to hear the story of your journey in Kenpo and also any advice you might have. Thanks!

Respectfully,
Stu Young
I love Massachusetts so much

I love Massachusetts so much
I was born and raised in Mass, so it's home for me. There are things about it that I love and other things that I'm not a fan of. The history here is incredible and there is a lot to do and see in this state.

Back