Karate research - asking for help

pap1ll0n

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know I'm completely new here, but I thought this might be a good place to ask for a bit of help with this. Just as a background, I'm a karate practitioner myself, I've been doing Wadokai karate for around 16 years now, although I've previously dabbled in Shotokan and Shito-ryu as well, currently competing internationally within Wado, and I'm also a qualified ref in my country.

That being said, I'm currently doing my PhD, and my research is specifically about karate! Basically, I'm interested in the relationships between clean sport/anti-doping and karate, and at the moment, I'm looking to find out what karate practitioners think about performance enhancement more broadly, and how the values imbued within karate (such as the discipline and respect aspects of being a karateka) relate to karatekas' attitudes towards clean sport. For this, I've got a 10-minute questionnaire, and I'm looking for the opinions of as many people as possible - regardless of style, years of experience in karate, or country of origin. It's completely anonymous and has been cleared by my uni's Ethics Board, but I'm also happy to share my results with the community when I finish the analysing it! If any of you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer, and I hope some of you will take the time to fill it out :)

Link here: Anti-doping in karate

study 2 recruitment poster.png

I was the anti-doping officer for the British Kendo Association and practiced Wado Ryu to 3rd Dan under Suzuki Tatsuo many years ago and I was a physiologist/neuroscientist/anatomist most recently at the University of Sheffield.

If you would like any lesser known insights into doping (😉) etc, do let me know.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back