Karate Do Kanji?

opr1945

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1. I have been looking at Karate Patches on line. The following patch (white and Black) is listed as Shotokan Karate. Some times it is listed as Shotokan Karate and other times as Karate Do. Soes it really say two different things in English?

2. The round patch listed a Kenpo Karate and other times as Karate do. I know that some styles hace a specific logo, fist as Gojo Ryu, Is the palm over fist generally associated with Kenpo?

3. The black and red patch listed as Karate do, but looks slightly different from others I have seen. Does it actually say Karate Do.

Whew. Information would be appreciated . Thanks, opr1945

Attachments

• mmmm.jpg
    mmmm.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
  • nnn.jpg
    nnn.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1
1. I have been looking at Karate Patches on line. The following patch (white and Black) is listed as Shotokan Karate. Some times it is listed as Shotokan Karate and other times as Karate Do. Soes it really say two different things in English?

2. The round patch listed a Kenpo Karate and other times as Karate do. I know that some styles hace a specific logo, fist as Gojo Ryu, Is the palm over fist generally associated with Kenpo?

3. The black and red patch listed as Karate do, but looks slightly different from others I have seen. Does it actually say Karate Do.

I have the seen the palm over fist even associated with Aikido. I don't think it is Kenpo specific, but I could be mistaken.

1. translation: empty hand path. pronunciation: kara-te-do. This refers to karate in general. Shotokan would be a whole different thing I believe, and perhaps would be on another patch to go along with this one?

2. I've seen this before in kenpo, but it's fairly generic.

3. translation: ? ground path. pronunciation: ?-do-do. Don't know the first kanji. The second kanji is pronounced "do" and means ground or dirt. The last kanji is the same as in #1 (do) meaning path or road. It could be someone not well versed in Japanese used 2 different kanji for the "do" sound. Or perhaps they wanted to say, "dirt path."

Last edited:
Interesting thing about this: the instruction manuals for the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis versions of Street Fighter II list Ryu and Ken's style as "Shotokan," despite their style in game not looking like Shotokan at all. In fact, I believe they used an Okinawan Goju-ryu guy for the motion capture for both characters in SFI.

Years later, this was explained as a "mistranslation." I don't remember the details of this mistranslation, but I suspect that in mainland Japan, "Shotokan" might be used interchangeably with "karate," the same we use "Kleenex" interchangeably with "face tissue."

From what I've noticed, Japanese styles have emblems, whereas not so much with Okinawan styles (Isshin-ryu is the only exception that I'm aware of). That raised fist, for example, is for Japanese Goju-ryu (Gogen Yamaguchi lineage); but isn't used in Okinawan Goju-ryu.

"Karate" was the first kanji I learned, and I learned it within the first month of starting. They don't actively teach it in class; it's just one of those things you pick up on.

"Karate" was the first kanji I learned, and I learned it within the first month of starting. They don't actively teach it in class; it's just one of those things you pick up on.
Yes, me too, but from the cover of this book and it was in sosho’s cursive style.
99B15F3E-2672-4B1E-800E-F6920A299853.jpeg

I was confused when I saw the block kaisho style

Back