John Kerry won't be reporting for duty this time.

Thank you.

You are welcome.

I am certain Mariachi Joe is just as passionate about demanding that The First Lady be removed from any public action, to show respect to Mr. Douglas' family by stepping down and doing her time, as he is in calling out Senator Kennedy for his actions.

Would you be more likely to give an adolescent a break for an automobile accident than an a much more experienced adult that just left a party and was judged guilty of fleeing the scene of his accident for ten hours?

Would you be more likely to give an adolescent a break for an automobile accident than an a much more experienced adult that just left a party and was judged guilty of fleeing the scene of his accident for ten hours?

I am not making any claims concerning the adult, nor the adolescent, so I am not certain if this question is relevant to me. Perhaps you meant to address it specifically, to Mariachi Joe.

However, it seems that one of the ideas underlying the American experiment is "Liberty and Justice, For All'. And as Mr. Douglas suffered the same fate as Ms. Kopechne, (or more accurately, Ms. Kopechne suffered the same fate as Mr. Douglas), perhaps it is relevant to consider the question from their families point of view.

You further mention that Mr. Kennedy was judged guilty, which is true. Mr. Kennedy did appear in court concerning the events surrounding Ms. Kopechne's death. Ms. Welch never appeared in court for the incident surrounding Mr. Douglas' death. I am wondering if that represents the principle of "Liberty and Justice, For All".

f
"Bam-ba-lam woh-oh Fat Teddy" - Yes, that is a very mature description of the Senior Senator from Massachusetts. If you find a way to attribute this statement as something other than with 'disregard' or 'childish', I will gladly listen.

May not be mature but it is accurate. How many times haven't I heard someone say that GW Bush did something, and that his daddy had to bail him out. Well at leat the President was never responsible for the death of someone in the same car as him because he was plastered. Teddy Kenedy caused the death of someone because he was driving drunk and got off because he is a Kennedy. Teddy should have the respect for his victim to step done and do his time like anyone else would have to if they had done what he did but lacked a wealthy family to bail them out.

And, y'know, if I could be bothered to care enough to keep playing Q-bert with Michael, This would be the time I could add that Teddy didn't call the cops.

But I can't. Because everytime you, or I, or anyone else not of his political persuasion makes a point of any kind, he takes it off in some other unrelated direction where he can call in some other unrelated character defect and attack THAT instead since he ran out of ammo on the one addressed.

It's literally like watching that old game, Q-bert.Ol' Q-bert jumps from one square to the next, and the next, and the next, and occasionally Q-bert jumps off the DEEEEEEP end.

In fact, you know what? I vote we make that Mike's new MT nickname: Q-BERT :boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

You further mention that Mr. Kennedy was judged guilty, which is true. Mr. Kennedy did appear in court concerning the events surrounding Ms. Kopechne's death. Ms. Welch never appeared in court for the incident surrounding Mr. Douglas' death. I am wondering if that represents the principle of "Liberty and Justice, For All".

I haven't read in the reports anywhere where Ms. Welch did anything remotely similar to what Mr. Kennedy did in the events surounding his accident. If one does not flee the scene, how does "Liberty and Justice, For All" even remotely suggest that person should be found guilty of it?

I haven't read in the reports anywhere where Ms. Welch did anything remotely similar to what Mr. Kennedy did in the events surounding his accident. If one does not flee the scene, how does "Liberty and Justice, For All" even remotely suggest that person should be found guilty of it?

I am not accusing Mr. Kennedy, or the former Ms. Welch of anything. I am just pointing out that both were driving automobiles where in a passenger ended up dead. It seems that some posters among us feel free to condemn one of those two. I am just assuming that they would, with equal fervor, condemn the other.

But, perhaps not. It seems they would prefer to mock me.

I am not accusing Mr. Kennedy, or the former Ms. Welch of anything. I am just pointing out that both were driving automobiles where in a passenger ended up dead. It seems that some posters among us feel free to condemn one of those two. I am just assuming that they would, with equal fervor, condemn the other.

Again, it is the actions after the accident that really is the cause for discussion. To even hint that the two accidents are of equal merit is like saying a guy shooting a kid and a police officer shooting someone in self defense are both homicides and thus should be treated equally.

Kennedy went home, slept off the effects of the night, and called his lawyers the next morning without ever seemingly trying to save his passenger.

That is scummy.

I work with a guy whos wife caused the death of a father of two and it is a tragedy. But she is not a bad person. She did everything she could to help after the accident she caused and did not go home like Kennedy did.

I am not making any claims concerning the adult, nor the adolescent, so I am not certain if this question is relevant to me. Perhaps you meant to address it specifically, to Mariachi Joe.

However, it seems that one of the ideas underlying the American experiment is "Liberty and Justice, For All'. And as Mr. Douglas suffered the same fate as Ms. Kopechne, (or more accurately, Ms. Kopechne suffered the same fate as Mr. Douglas), perhaps it is relevant to consider the question from their families point of view.

well, for one- laura didn't kill a passenger by accident. she hit another car with a school friend driving and he was killed. it seems to be as written here (snopes saying that it's a true "rumor") that this was an accident with no malice or booze (real rumors) or anything but a tragic accident-- not exactly anything to compare to Ted's actions. i think it really is a stretch to compare these two incidents-- i also doubt Ted would have been able to avoid harsher punishment for his actions in today's MADD driven world.

that all said... what's this got to do with John Kerry not running?.. and since he's not running-- that means, you don't have to focus on him in the next election.

we should have strong bi-partisan support for that ya' think:)

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

http://www.ytedk.com/

that all said... what's this got to do with John Kerry not running?.. and since he's not running--

Gee, I have no idea what this has to do with Senator Kerry. But, as I recall, I didn't bring it up.

Senator Kerry, by the way, is running. He hopes to serve another six years as a Senator from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where he feels he can do more good for the country, that if he were to run for President. I found his transcript to his speech on the Senate floor of 1/24/2007 powerful, if tinged with sadness.

Those who don't know history, are doomed to repeat it.

I'd say shooting your friend in the face and then delaying calling the police is inappropriate, too, but what's that got to do with Kerry?

I'm glad Kerry isn't running. I supported him in 2004, but he promised to "fight for every last vote," then let us down by conceding before "every last vote" was counted.

I'm glad Kerry isn't running. I supported him in 2004, but he promised to "fight for every last vote," then let us down by conceding before "every last vote" was counted.

And have you seen the headlines coming from the Ohio election officials? I have been too heartbroken to even read them. I just know they aren't good.

One positive note, is that electronic voting machines are getting more and more grief in cities and towns and counties and parrishes across America.

Paper Ballots everywhere.

For the curious among us, Eric Bohlert has a sane deconstruction of the Senators Announcement, which really had little to do with announcing he wasn't running for President, in MediaMatters this week.

It can be found here:

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200701300006

The truth is, what Kerry did during his eloquent and passionate critique of the war last Wednesday was what our Founding Fathers hoped U.S. senators would use the chamber for: to speak in depth about the difficult issues facing the day. What the press was doing, I have no idea. Indeed, the same Founding Fathers, who brilliantly carved out a unique role for the free press in our democracy, would have been stunned if they had witnessed Kerry's address and then read the fictionalized accounts of him allegedly breaking down in tears on the Senate floor.

Latest Discussions

Back