How much are you worth... DEAD?

Only $3926....I thought I'd be worth MUCH more! I mean, I have definately preserved my Liver very well....

$5165 is the value it came up with but that fails to account for the kilogram of platinum coated titanium that replaces my forearm. I wonder how much that it worth at todays prices :D.

Congratulations, your dead body is worth $4775!

Well, whatever. How's my wife supposed to cash in on this--is there a drop off and pick up point, like for sandbags at the fire station?

By the way, hard to trust a survey that uses elephantitis instead of elephantiasis. The former is literally, an inflammation of an elephant; the latter a serious human condition.

Anyway, back to my original question, am wondering how my wife can parley this into covering funeral expenses. Should be discounted, too, since there won't be a body in the casket. Hmmm....

Congratulations, your dead body is worth $4775!

Well, whatever. How's my wife supposed to cash in on this--is there a drop off and pick up point, like for sandbags at the fire station?

By the way, hard to trust a survey that uses elephantitis instead of elephantiasis. The former is literally, an inflammation of an elephant; the latter a serious human condition.

Anyway, back to my original question, am wondering how my wife can parley this into covering funeral expenses. Should be discounted, too, since there won't be a body in the casket. Hmmm....

If there's no body, then why have a funeral? I say, spend the money on a wake. It's much more fun for all.

If there's no body, then why have a funeral? I say, spend the money on a wake. It's much more fun for all.
And really, why would I care, anyway. :D

Sukerkin said:
$5165 is the value it came up with but that fails to account for the kilogram of platinum coated titanium that replaces my forearm. I wonder how much that it worth at todays prices
So you may be the new $6mm man? What's that...No one here's heard of that old TV program? Oh well.

Seriously, Suke, did I miss the story of your arm, or have you been too modest to tell it (as usual)? ;)

So you may be the new $6mm man? What's that...No one here's heard of that old TV program? Oh well.

{jumps up and down waving arms}I've heard of it, in fact I used to watch it religiously :D. Isn't it amazing how old TV series intro voice-overs and music stick in your head when other much more important stuff fades away :lol:?

Seriously, Suke, did I miss the story of your arm, or have you been too modest to tell it (as usual)? ;)

I'm sure I've precised it somewhere as Exile asked me what had happened to me after I'd mentioned it a couple of times.

Briefly, it was an Audi Quattro that did the damage, driven by what was suspected to be a drunk driver trying to overtake me (riding Suzuki GSX-750R) whilst I was overtaking another vehicle on a winding country road. It was about twenty minutes after the pubs closed, hence the assumption of driver inebriation ... that and the fact that he didn't stop but left me for dead in the road. The van driver's not stopping I can't explain - I guess he paniced too.

If it wasn't for the fact that someone on a side road saw my headlight cartwheeling through the night and came to investigate then it may well be that I would've been dead {me, dressed in black, sprawled stunned in the middle of the road, no lights other than that of my bike lying some yards beyond me ... :shudders:}.

Likewise, if it wasn't for the fact that I leaned to the left to snap a look over my right shoulder (when I heard this engine roaring behind me) then that too might have spelled a worse outcome. Because the bike leant too, the car, on it's way through, only snapped the brake lever off and jammed the throttle wide open. If I hadn't leaned I think he would've simply rear-ended the bike ... the galling thing is if I'd leant a couple of inches more he might've missed my arm (probably not tho' so I wont torment myself with "what if's").

The impact knocked me into the side of the van I was overtaking and I think that's what initially kept me on the bike. At this juncture I remember thinking uncharitable thoughts about the Audi's drivers abilities {actual language censored :)}. Then I noticed that the bike was drifting to the right and, incredible as it sounds, I had the time to look along the line of the frame because I thought it'd been bent by the impact and that's why the bike wasn't running straight. Unbeknownst to me, the reason why the bike was going to the right was because the shattered ruin of my right arm was flopped across the petrol tank and I was still pushing on the bars with my left :dunce:.

That fraction of a second that seemed to last for eternity passed and I touched the curb on the far side of the road. I was more or less parallel to it because it was on a right-hand bend so both wheels hit at about the same time. The bike kicked up then, catapulting me headfirst into a road-sign (that is still bent and twisted to this day :D). I did the breakdancing and tumbling routine down the road, coming to a halt just in time for my likewise gymnastic bike to clobber me in the head (I think it wanted revenge for my breaking it :)) - so yes, I have the dubious distinction of having been runover by my own bike ROFL!

I tried to get up (which shows how good motorbike helmets are at dealing with high level impacts i.e. I wasn't unconscious already) as I woozily realised that lying in the road was not a good place to be. That's when I found out something was up with my arm as, being right-handed, I pushed off with my right hand only to have my wrist telescope up to my elbow.

There's a blank here as the next thing I recall is being in the hedgerow, hearing my bike still screaming (why do they always fall on the clutch?) and having this chap in front of me talking to me. He'd left my helmet on, which was the right thing to do - he hadn't even lifted my visor as I recall doing that myself as I couldn't make out what he was saying. That obviously didn't help as all I can recall of our 'conversation' was him saying his wife had gone to call the ambulance and me asking if my bike was alright :lol:.

On that, he went to shut my bike off and get it out of the way. That's when I did the 'bravest' thing I've ever done (aside from refusing to allow the ambulancemen to cut my leathers off me). I had the uncomfortable feeling of something thrashing about inside my arm as my muscles went into shock, so I grabbed hold of my wrist, pulled it back out to where it should be and held it there. That made me a little nauseous but stopped the bone stumps of my wrist and elbow rubbing on each other, which was a most disconcerting sensation.

The doctors were amazed that I hadn't had a major blood vessel open as essentially all that was left of my forearm bones was 'shrapnel', with four splintered 'daggers' above the wrist and below the elbow. Two out of the three on my case had decided that there was nothing to save and wanted to amputate whereas one had recently read in an American medical journal about using metal plates to join long bones back together again. Thankfully they decided to go with his 'play' : phew : (oh and to any medical members we have here, could I just say that those curtains they have around the beds in A&E don't stop patients hearing you casually discussing whether to lop their arms off or not :eek:!).

The thing that amazed me about the whole thing was that once the foggy feeling of a couple of major blows to the head had gone, I was fairly lucid (tho' I don't remember much more than I've laid out above) and I was in no real pain whatsoever.

That immunity lasted right up until the time I went to the x-ray department. The first 'shot' was fine as, using my left hand, I'd placed my arm on the plate in the position they wanted, with my palm down. For the second 'shot' they needed it the other way and the nurse simply came across and turned my hand over, obviously not realising that it wasn't actually connected to my arm in the usual sense anymore ... to keep from screaming I clenched my teeth together so hard that I cracked a couple of molars and clenched my left hand in my hair so hard that I pulled a handfull out of the crown (which is where my bald patch got started :D).

The next two hours subjectively lasted about twenty years I think, as that pain level did not subside - a nurse was supposed to come and give me an injection to dull the agony down and she forgot. By the time someone came to me again, saw the state I was in and prepared the injection, I think I would've confessed to anything in order for them to give me the pain-relief (so it seems that my torture resistence is a paltry two hours, probably much less :eek:).

Crikey! Thats gone on for a lot longer than I intended - sorry for the huge OT excursion chaps :blush:. I'd best shut up about it now ... tho' it is sort of relevant to the thread as that's how I got my 'extra added value' bits and pieces.

<snippet>
Crikey! Thats gone on for a lot longer than I intended - sorry for the huge OT excursion chaps :blush:. I'd best shut up about it now ...
Nah mate, apologies aren't needed or warranted I reckon. Thank you for sharing that. Hellva story. :asian:

I'm REALLY REALLY GLAD that there are TWO OTHER PEOPLE on this thread who HAVE A HIGHER DOLLAR VALUE THAN ME!!!

Congratulations, your dead body is worth $6275!

I'm REALLY REALLY GLAD that there are TWO OTHER PEOPLE on this thread who HAVE A HIGHER DOLLAR VALUE THAN ME!!!

Congratulations, your dead body is worth $6275!

Being one of those, I have to say I think it was a couple of the questions I answered. I answered yes to something wierd as I have Gilberts Syndrome and with this Liver disorder an extremely large liver. So my answers were good health in general but I did see a nice jump for this answer. :) :D

So, YOu are number three on the list for people to target? ;)

{jumps up and down waving arms}I've heard of it, in fact I used to watch it religiously :D. Isn't it amazing how old TV series intro voice-overs and music stick in your head when other much more important stuff fades away :lol:?

I'm sure I've precised it somewhere as Exile asked me what had happened to me after I'd mentioned it a couple of times.

Briefly, it was an Audi Quattro that did the damage, driven by what was suspected to be a drunk driver trying to overtake me (riding Suzuki GSX-750R) whilst I was overtaking another vehicle on a winding country road. It was about twenty minutes after the pubs closed, hence the assumption of driver inebriation ... that and the fact that he didn't stop but left me for dead in the road. The van driver's not stopping I can't explain - I guess he paniced too.

If it wasn't for the fact that someone on a side road saw my headlight cartwheeling through the night and came to investigate then it may well be that I would've been dead {me, dressed in black, sprawled stunned in the middle of the road, no lights other than that of my bike lying some yards beyond me ... :shudders:}.

Likewise, if it wasn't for the fact that I leaned to the left to snap a look over my right shoulder (when I heard this engine roaring behind me) then that too might have spelled a worse outcome. Because the bike leant too, the car, on it's way through, only snapped the brake lever off and jammed the throttle wide open. If I hadn't leaned I think he would've simply rear-ended the bike ... the galling thing is if I'd leant a couple of inches more he might've missed my arm (probably not tho' so I wont torment myself with "what if's").

The impact knocked me into the side of the van I was overtaking and I think that's what initially kept me on the bike. At this juncture I remember thinking uncharitable thoughts about the Audi's drivers abilities {actual language censored :)}. Then I noticed that the bike was drifting to the right and, incredible as it sounds, I had the time to look along the line of the frame because I thought it'd been bent by the impact and that's why the bike wasn't running straight. Unbeknownst to me, the reason why the bike was going to the right was because the shattered ruin of my right arm was flopped across the petrol tank and I was still pushing on the bars with my left :dunce:.

That fraction of a second that seemed to last for eternity passed and I touched the curb on the far side of the road. I was more or less parallel to it because it was on a right-hand bend so both wheels hit at about the same time. The bike kicked up then, catapulting me headfirst into a road-sign (that is still bent and twisted to this day :D). I did the breakdancing and tumbling routine down the road, coming to a halt just in time for my likewise gymnastic bike to clobber me in the head (I think it wanted revenge for my breaking it :)) - so yes, I have the dubious distinction of having been runover by my own bike ROFL!

I tried to get up (which shows how good motorbike helmets are at dealing with high level impacts i.e. I wasn't unconscious already) as I woozily realised that lying in the road was not a good place to be. That's when I found out something was up with my arm as, being right-handed, I pushed off with my right hand only to have my wrist telescope up to my elbow.

There's a blank here as the next thing I recall is being in the hedgerow, hearing my bike still screaming (why do they always fall on the clutch?) and having this chap in front of me talking to me. He'd left my helmet on, which was the right thing to do - he hadn't even lifted my visor as I recall doing that myself as I couldn't make out what he was saying. That obviously didn't help as all I can recall of our 'conversation' was him saying his wife had gone to call the ambulance and me asking if my bike was alright :lol:.

On that, he went to shut my bike off and get it out of the way. That's when I did the 'bravest' thing I've ever done (aside from refusing to allow the ambulancemen to cut my leathers off me). I had the uncomfortable feeling of something thrashing about inside my arm as my muscles went into shock, so I grabbed hold of my wrist, pulled it back out to where it should be and held it there. That made me a little nauseous but stopped the bone stumps of my wrist and elbow rubbing on each other, which was a most disconcerting sensation.

The doctors were amazed that I hadn't had a major blood vessel open as essentially all that was left of my forearm bones was 'shrapnel', with four splintered 'daggers' above the wrist and below the elbow. Two out of the three on my case had decided that there was nothing to save and wanted to amputate whereas one had recently read in an American medical journal about using metal plates to join long bones back together again. Thankfully they decided to go with his 'play' : phew : (oh and to any medical members we have here, could I just say that those curtains they have around the beds in A&E don't stop patients hearing you casually discussing whether to lop their arms off or not :eek:!).

The thing that amazed me about the whole thing was that once the foggy feeling of a couple of major blows to the head had gone, I was fairly lucid (tho' I don't remember much more than I've laid out above) and I was in no real pain whatsoever.

That immunity lasted right up until the time I went to the x-ray department. The first 'shot' was fine as, using my left hand, I'd placed my arm on the plate in the position they wanted, with my palm down. For the second 'shot' they needed it the other way and the nurse simply came across and turned my hand over, obviously not realising that it wasn't actually connected to my arm in the usual sense anymore ... to keep from screaming I clenched my teeth together so hard that I cracked a couple of molars and clenched my left hand in my hair so hard that I pulled a handfull out of the crown (which is where my bald patch got started :D).

The next two hours subjectively lasted about twenty years I think, as that pain level did not subside - a nurse was supposed to come and give me an injection to dull the agony down and she forgot. By the time someone came to me again, saw the state I was in and prepared the injection, I think I would've confessed to anything in order for them to give me the pain-relief (so it seems that my torture resistence is a paltry two hours, probably much less :eek:).

Crikey! Thats gone on for a lot longer than I intended - sorry for the huge OT excursion chaps :blush:. I'd best shut up about it now ... tho' it is sort of relevant to the thread as that's how I got my 'extra added value' bits and pieces.

Oh...My...God...Mark, I had no idea. I sensed that you had unusual depth of experience and empathy, but hadn't pinned down why. Now I know. I was a medic during a long-ago war that shall go unmentioned, so I've seen a lot of ugliness, including pieces of what were people, search and rescue teams coming back with one stump as the sum total of five men, etc., ad nauseum. But this, with your very lucid memory of it, is pretty unique to my experience. I have a new level of respect, my friend. :asian:

Wow, Sukerkin, that is one crazy story. I ride a bike myself (ZZR600) and yr experience set my teeth on edge! Urk, when i think of all the near misses... Have you ridden since yr accident?

Oh, and my dead body would be worth $5125, apparently. Though i don't think you can purchase cadavers in Australia like you can in the US... my understanding is that you can only donate yr body to medical research. So i guess i'm worthless after all! ;-)

Latest Discussions

Back