Homework

Ok, I see your point, fair enough.

My subtle point was this, where I see no difference (set aside "homework", as for me working yourself, is something a serious student of anything would do - wether beeing told to or not)

In physics class, we are taught HOW we can DESCRIBE the physical interactions, by timeless laws and intial conditions. The WHY is simply - beacuse it's was the scientific process led us. For thoose seeking deeper understnadings and want to expand, you are on your own [open problem].

In MA, we are taught HOW do to thins. The WHY is OFTEN - because this is our style, sometimes you can can an more explanation but not necessarily a unique one, but an arbitrary one. So if you seek the constructing principles more deeper, you are again on your own [open problem as well? or?].

This is how I feel. But I see nothing wrong with! I just think it is similar to anything else. I am rarely satisfied by the superfical HOWs.
The why is sooo important for the how- like with chambering blocks, we all learn how at the very beginning but learning why they're chambered the way they are is what really gives new life and intent to those seemingly unimportant chambering movements

The why is sooo important for the how- like with chambering blocks, we all learn how at the very beginning but learning why they're chambered the way they are is what really gives new life and intent to those seemingly unimportant chambering movements
May I ask what ‘chambering’ mean?

May I ask what ‘chambering’ mean?
It's just a term used in karate kihon for how/where to position hands/arms/body in preparation for "throwing" a block.
Aren't you a Wado guy? I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here lol

It's just a term used in karate kihon for how/where to position hands/arms/body in preparation for "throwing" a block.
Aren't you a Wado guy? I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here lol
I was, but I’ve never heard that term in this context. Maybe it’s because guns aren’t part of UK culture (assuming it’s etymology comes from a bullet entering the chamber of a gun).

I was, but I’ve never heard that term in this context. Maybe it’s because guns aren’t part of UK culture (assuming it’s etymology comes from a bullet entering the chamber of a gun).
I'm sure you're right. What do you all say?
I've only ever heard chamber, setup and occasionally prepare

And I think also, what deepens the understanding when you are explained "why", you see that it is contextual, and what is optimal in some cases are not in other cases.

This can be helpful, tough over time some styles have developed a taste for minutiae that are irrelevant, and conflate them from details which aren't.

Understanding which details are important and which are not entirely depends on understanding what you're trying to do (and therefore why it works better one way than another), usually in terms of positioning and biomechanics. Without that understanding, it's impossible to determine what's important or not and it all becomes rather arbitrary (but you can still assign points in competition depending on how the participants perform these details, arbitrary or not).

Then in modern "traditional" karate like Shotokan, the meanings given to each movement are often completely different from the intended ones so some detail details which original had sense lose it, and other details, not really that important in the katas, suddenly acquire meaning.

I think some of this depends on the art.

In BJJ, there isn't really homework assigned, because the vast majority of what you do is a personal journey that you need to work out on the mats. Instructionals are good, but students typically take the initiative for that. I imagine there is more homework at a competition school (where coaches may advise you on which instructionals to get), or at a school like Roy Dean's where you have crucibles to get your belt, and you must prepare a demonstration for that crucible.

In Taekwondo, I think it's much more common. There's usually a curriculum that includes forms and some other things. Students will first have the homework of memorizing the curriculum items for the test, and then will get feedback to practice on.
Agree.
I feel this is a great example of how forms can be used for self practice.
I regularly tell a student to work on 'X' movement at home. We go over the move in class and then they are told to come to me at the end of the next class(es) to evaluate the move.

Latest Discussions

Back