Hand Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger I hit the Makiwara 100 times a day. A pine tree and an oak where used for gripping and clawing. I used sand to strike with fingers, back hand,and each joint of my fingers and knife hand. There was and still is a piece of granite beside my chair which I take out while watching television once in a while and strike.
I have used dit dat jow but ran out of the good stuff long ago and have lost the recipe for it.
My instructor made me stop at one time because I stupidly punchded the makiwara to much and not only drew blood but exposed the bone. Yep I was an idiot.

Really. Ouch (I actually shivered).

Training used to be much harder and brutal years ago. In many systems and schools hand conditioning was the norm.

Training used to be much harder and brutal years ago. In many systems and schools hand conditioning was the norm.

Okay so I can keep in on topic, being naturally curious and all, what difference do you see in you're days, against what you see today? I would imagine that was the question you were asking anyway, but I 'm reversing it, with respect of course :)

Okay so I can keep in on topic, being naturally curious and all, what difference do you see in you're days, against what you see today? I would imagine that was the question you were asking anyway, but I 'm reversing it, with respect of course :)
Old guys always think things were so much harder "back in their day":mooning:

Well when you start showing me the schools that require hand conditioning to the point knuckles are broken today I'll say they are old school. When you start showing me the schools that have blood on the floor every night I'll call them old school. Show me the schools that take 15 years to make black belt because they instructor wants to know he can trust his students and wants all forms to that point done correctly and the student is able to pass on all the knowledge up to that time I'll think about calling it old school.
There was more to the old ways of teaching that only those that went threw it can say but most of us dont brag or tell some of the stories

It was a joke old timer. I bet you walked to and from the dojo uphill both way un the snow and couldn't afford shoes so you wore newspapers

no I actually hitch hiked 75 mils a day to practice and this is my sand box not your lawn so if you have problems get out or contribute something useful and stop wasting space posting BS.
and that was not a joke

no I actually hitch hiked 75 mils a day to practice and this is my sand box not your lawn so if you have problems get out or contribute something useful and stop wasting space posting BS.
and that was not a joke
Oh noooooo someone's upset. Chill out pal

no you post something useful in this thread or stay out of it
there is no need for you to interrupt as many threads as you can trying to be funny or just trying to piss people off and get threads locked
are you on this forum to contribute or to cause trouble

I think it might be a good idea for everyone to take a breath, both in word and tone.

Me, I'm going to have some pie. :)

Try to search the soft iron palm method of training/conditioning your hands of all the methods I think this is the safest but the longest to do. Slow but steady. I'll post a link if I find it for you guys. Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back