Guns On Planes

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
CHICAGO - The recent accidental discharge of a pilot's gun highlights tensions over whether the number of authorized guns aboard U.S. commercial aircraft translates into safer skies.
A long list of travelers are permitted by law to carry guns on planes, including federal air marshals, certain pilots and law-enforcement agents traveling for business.
Supporters of the practice insist that the presence of armed pilots and law enforcement agents — on and off duty — cuts the chances of hijacking.

Link

Thoughts on this?

Anyone know how the gun 'accidentally' went off? Now, as I've said before, I'm not anit-gun, but I do feel that the people who choose to carry a weapon, should make sure that they're fully qualified. This includes, but is not limited to: Safety, weapon retention, as well as being able to operate under stress, to name a few things.

I don't know if pilots are undergoing the same training as an Air Marshal, but if they're not, they should be, especially if they're using this gun to defend the plane.

They are and they do but as the ancient Chinese used to say, "**** happens". It doesn't matter how well you prepare something will go wrong. It doesn't matter if it is empty hands, light or full contact, edged or dull weapons, real ammo or blanks, **** happens. Remember how Bruce Lee's son died? It's life, get used to it and move on.

Right. A LOT of these commercial pilots are ex-military, so the likelihood of an accidental discharge goes down, though it can still happen. I say, have them strap them hog leg type pistols on and swagger into the cockpit, no problem.

IMO, more guns=Less crime. An armed society is by nessecity a polite one. If the bad guys don't know who is armed, they have to think twice about screwing with ANYONE.

From what I've heard about this story, the problem in this case has more to do with the way they're required to secure the gun than anything else...

Basically, they place the loaded weapon in the holster and then use a padlock that goes through the trigger-guard via a hole cut in the holster.

It said in the article that this is the only such incident in 6 years and that 10,000 pilots are carrying weapons. That's a pretty good record that, IMO, wouldn't have been spoiled if it wasn't for the way he had to secure his weapon. What's wrong with just keeping it loaded and holstered w/o the padlock?

How can a gun accidentally go off in an airplane

A short clip that explains some of the dangers of the required case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions

Back