Glad I don't live in...Canada

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...nd-police-still-view-gun-owners-as-criminals/

The Crown in Ontario has decided to drop some, but not all of the charges against Ian Thomson, the Port Colborne man who last August caught three masked men trying to firebomb his rural home — with him in it. Thomson fired two or three shorts over the heads of his attackers to scare them off, but then ended up being charged by Niagara police for daring to use force to defend himself and his property.

Thomson, a trained former firearms instructor, insists that when he heard intruders lobbing Molotov cocktails at his home he went to his gun safe, took out a revolver that he owned legally, loaded it and fired his warning shots. If his version of the early morning attack is true, the Crown’s decision to keep pushing for an unsafe storage conviction is illogical, to say the least. It also illustrates how convinced the Crown is that no use of a firearm is ever justified. Nor do officials see much difference between law-abiding gunowners and criminal ones.

This is from a Canadian source mind you. Not that Im a fan of "warning shots", but God knows what would have happened to this guy if he had actually hit/killed someone trying to firebomb his house.

But then Canada, like Australia, the UK and other like minded countries don't have your gun culture. If push came to shove and I couldn't live in Australia, Canada would be up near the top of my wish list of places to migrate to. :asian:

Yes, if he had come from our gun culture they would have been double tapped, laid out and planted 6 feet down under.

Glad you don’t live in Canada? Shrug, whatever.

The last charge will be dropped too. Unsafe storage of a firearm? No one else was there, how do they prove it? They can’t.

Situations like this happen once in a while and the vast majority of the time they favour the defendant. New precedents are set, laws have been amended recently as well, and we move on.

I’ll still take Canada on its worst day, then any other country on its best.

But then Canada, like Australia, the UK and other like minded countries don't have your gun culture. If push came to shove and I couldn't live in Australia, Canada would be up near the top of my wish list of places to migrate to. :asian:

What does a "gun culture" have to do with being charged with "unsafe storage" when you access your legally owned gun to defend yourself from arsonists trying to burn your house down?

PS: I really don't have anything against Canada. I just thought that the title and the issue dovetailed with the other "I'm glad I don't live in..." thread.

PS: I really don't have anything against Canada. I just thought that the title and the issue dovetailed with the other "I'm glad I don't live in..." thread.

Hahah, I see what you did there :p after all i done the same thing with my stark raving wingnut thread like the stark raving moonbat one.

However, I also saw this as another opportunity for pro second amendment peeps to say, See! if people dont own guns how they like this is what happens without the US type gun laws.

What does a "gun culture" have to do with being charged with "unsafe storage" when you access your legally owned gun to defend yourself from arsonists trying to burn your house down?

It has everything to do with 'gun culture' as was evidenced in the post about Australia.

The Firearms Act of 1995 does not recognise self-defense as a valid reason to acquire a firearm in Canada, though the Criminal Code allows reasonable use of force in self-defence. So, though guns can't be purchased for self-defense, they can be used for as much in select cases.

Canada has similar laws to Australia as shown in the OP. Like the Australian example we have no background information on this case and like in Australia the person's actions will be tested in court.

I have no issue with his using a firearm if it's use was warranted, legal or not, if his life was threatened. Just don't think you are not accountable for you actions. However, as I said, we don't know anything about the circumstances of this case. :asian:

I'm not going to harp on the Canada is the best country in the world thing, but It's funny when people who have no idea what this country is like make comments about what's it's like here.

I always found it funny when I would see guys from the States walking around in AWE when they would come visit, and they were only visiting.

Latest Discussions

Back