Ghost students

I have had similar experiences a few times of having someone say they studied with MR. Bedell but I had never seen them before. I usually play along and ask where and when and what the training was like. Eventually when they ask my name I smile and tell them. Some times their expression is priceless.
I have a few people over the years say they got rank from a student of mine who claimed to be a black belt in the system I taught. Trouble is that named person never was in the system long enough to even pass their first test. To these people I explained that the person giving them rank and training was a fraud and explained why.
Just to many people out there who want to impress someone . Some of them should check out the person they are going to name as an instructor least they actually talk to that person and make a fool of themselves.

I haven't had this experience exactly, but it seems I have conversations like this all the time....

somehow someone mentions that I train and that is followed by another person saying
"Oh I used to train in taekwondo. I am a 2nd degree black belt"
followed by me saying: "very cool. who was your instructor?"
and they always reply" "oh I don't remember... it was a long time ago."
:erg:
I used to wonder how someone could possibly not remember their instructor's name, but unfortunately I think the "ghost student" theory is probably closer to the truth in most of the cases.

Sounds like those people who go to a seminar and then claim to have trained with the person, and show you pictures of themselves with the instructor. I've been to seminars taught by some of these people, and I've seen them take pictures with the participants. I guess it's easier than actually having to put in the time :idunno:

Sounds like those people who go to a seminar and then claim to have trained with the person, and show you pictures of themselves with the instructor. I've been to seminars taught by some of these people, and I've seen them take pictures with the participants. I guess it's easier than actually having to put in the time :idunno:

THAT probably happens more often than anything else.

Back in about 1996 or 97, I applied for the police force and had to have a doctor's statement saying I was fit enough to apply. My wife called my doctor while I was at work and the head nurse said something to the tune of "how could Mr. Hughes apply when he is over 375 pounds and in terrible health."
Turns out, there are three Johnny Hughes in my area and two of them are married to a woman named Patricia (me being one of them).

AoG

I haven't had this experience exactly, but it seems I have conversations like this all the time....

somehow someone mentions that I train and that is followed by another person saying
"Oh I used to train in taekwondo. I am a 2nd degree black belt"
followed by me saying: "very cool. who was your instructor?"
and they always reply" "oh I don't remember... it was a long time ago."
:erg:
I used to wonder how someone could possibly not remember their instructor's name, but unfortunately I think the "ghost student" theory is probably closer to the truth in most of the cases.

My taiji sifu once trained a person the Yang stlye long form and ONLY the Yang style long form.

Later I happened to see a school called the "Yang Chengfu school of Tai Chi" and they were claiming a lineage to my sifu.

I talked to my sifu, he went and talked to them, I have no idea what was said but there is no longer any taiji school in my area called the "Yang Chengfu school of Tai Chi" as a matter of fact the name kind of vanished about 1 week after I talked to my sifu about it.

There are TONS of these in taiji these days by the way.

They went to one or two Chen family or Yang family or Wu family seminars (or all 3) and all of a sudden they are masters of any number of Taiji styles

Latest Discussions

Back