Foot diseases?

Unlike dojos of other styles, I have only observed and caught athletes foot training in a BJJ facility. Dirty dog is correct when he points to the dry training environment; in BJJ, everyone is rolling across the floor, whereas in a stand-up style, the majority of perspiration is absorbed via the gi and does not come into contact with the floor.

We did some training at Ft Lewis before it became a combined base. Lived in fighting holes in a training area for a week; it rained non-stop. Our training partners, Army MPs, lived in their barracks. Fond memories.
Foot health has been a major military concern for a millennium. I don't think the Romans had much problem as sandals allowed the feet to dry. Once boots came into play so did foot rot. Wool socks were great when dry, but horrible when wet. In the 1700's some soldiers went without socks and used goose fat to protect their feet as advocated by Marshall Maurice de Saxe.

Foot health has been a major military concern for a millennium. I don't think the Romans had much problem as sandals allowed the feet to dry. Once boots came into play so did foot rot. Wool socks were great when dry, but horrible when wet. In the 1700's some soldiers went without socks and used goose fat to protect their feet as advocated by Marshall Maurice de Saxe.
Now I have diabetic neuropathy, so I can't feel the soles of my feet. I don't mind standing barefoot on a cold dojo floor. The downside is I have to carefully examine my feet, because I could get a cut that I don't notice and get gangrene. That's how a lot of diabetics lose their feet.

Now I have diabetic neuropathy, so I can't feel the soles of my feet. I don't mind standing barefoot on a cold dojo floor. The downside is I have to carefully examine my feet, because I could get a cut that I don't notice and get gangrene. That's how a lot of diabetics lose their feet.
A large part of my HBOT patients are treated for diabetic foot ulcers. If you get one, please go get HBOT, anecdotally it works better than antibiotics and debridement alone.

Latest Discussions

Back