Foot diseases?

We did some training at Ft Lewis before it became a combined base. Lived in fighting holes in a training area for a week; it rained non-stop. Our training partners, Army MPs, lived in their barracks. Fond memories.
I was an MP in the 504th MP BN. One thing I don't miss about that area is the rain. It rained every day, at least a little. It could be dreary, but I still often miss the experience and camaraderie.

You are at higher risk of athlete's foot if you:
  • Frequently wear enclosed footwear
(This is something that Westerners tend to do. I’veveven know people to put on shoes in the morning and only remove them when they go to bed 🤢)
You know people who do this in their own homes? I don't think that's the norm. I think what you're referring to is guests removing their shoes in someone else's home. In the East, that appears to be a requirement. In the West, it's an act of familiarity that may cross certain boundaries depending on your relationship with the host.

You know people who do this in their own homes? I don't think that's the norm. I think what you're referring to is guests removing their shoes in someone else's home. In the East, that appears to be a requirement. In the West, it's an act of familiarity that may cross certain boundaries depending on your relationship with the host.
One of my house rules is that the shoes come off at the door. Not just guests, but my fiancé and I as well. Not only is it more hygienic but it also helps preserve your floors in your home.

You know people who do this in their own homes? I don't think that's the norm.
Yes…one is ex-army so i thought it was something to do with that!
I think what you're referring to is guests removing their shoes in someone else's home. In the East, that appears to be a requirement.
It is. Shoes that have walked on filthy pavements etc walking around my house are not allowed!
In the West, it's an act of familiarity that may cross certain boundaries depending on your relationship with the host.
I can’t think of any of my British friends who wear outdoor shoes within their house…Maybe it’s an American thing? I know older people (75+) who do that but these days, people have nice floor coverings they don’t want messing up!

I was an MP in the 504th MP BN. One thing I don't miss about that area is the rain. It rained every day, at least a little. It could be dreary, but I still often miss the experience and camaraderie.
I was MPCo, HQBn, 1st Marine Division out of Camp Pendleton. We did some cross-training with you guys.

Yes…one is ex-army so i thought it was something to do with that!

It is. Shoes that have walked on filthy pavements etc walking around my house are not allowed!

I can’t think of any of my British friends who wear outdoor shoes within their house…Maybe it’s an American thing? I know older people (75+) who do that but these days, people have nice floor coverings they don’t want messing up!
I have a friend who won’t let anyone on her yacht with shoes on lest the teak decking gets dirty 🙄

I have a friend who won’t let anyone on her yacht with shoes on lest the teak decking gets dirty 🙄
Huh. I have a friend who won’t let anyone wear shoes in her Versailles inspired mansion. She’s so gauche. Rich friends. Amiright?

"I have a good friend who lives in Michigan on the upper peninsula. We served together for the entirety of our time in the military. He flew over to Massachusetts about 2 months back to hang out with me for a few days. It was the first time I had seen him in 14 years. He's told me plenty about the extreme winters they get up there on the UP."

It's about 400 miles from where I am (the part of Michigan closest to Chicago) to the far end of the Upper Pennisula. Winters are still winters here, but not like there!

My parents retired to Tampa. visited there a lot. Winters were great....but summers and old drivers were a bummer. My opinion as an older driver. LOL

Apropos to the thread: https://www.washingtonpost.com/home...-house/?media_type=image&utm_id=6581145427827

Taking your shoes off before entering a home is a sign of respect in many cultures. In other households, it’s just a way to reduce the ick factor of traipsing in whatever germs and grime you’ve encountered in the world beyond your front door.

Whatever their reasons, roughly 2 out of 3 Americans do indeed remove their shoes when they get home, according to a May 2023 poll from CBS News and YouGov. But if you’re in the camp who does it for cleanliness, is it really necessary? Turns out the experts don’t all agree.

Huh. I have a friend who won’t let anyone wear shoes in her Versailles inspired mansion. She’s so gauche. Rich friends. Amiright?
No shoes allowed in my modest house either. I’m certainly not rich. I just don’t want dirty shoes on my floor. Most people don’t mind. I have a bench and a shoe closet at the front door.

No shoes allowed in my modest house either. I’m certainly not rich. I just don’t want dirty shoes on my floor. Most people don’t mind. I have a bench and a shoe closet at the front door.
They feel awkward if they haven’t attend to foot hygiene or have holey socks!

I was being sarcastic. @Gyakuto just tickled my funny bone a little with his humble bragging. :)

A lot of people don’t like shoes in the house. We do the same, but I’m not a stickler for it. We have kids, dogs, cats, and plenty of visitors. The five second rule is at one’s own risk here.

But no shoes helps keep some of the dirt and dust from tracking in. Now if I could just teach the cats to wipe their paws. 🐈

I was being sarcastic. @Gyakuto just tickled my funny bone a little with his humble bragging. :)

A lot of people don’t like shoes in the house. We do the same, but I’m not a stickler for it. We have kids, dogs, cats, and plenty of visitors. The five second rule is at one’s own risk here.

But no shoes helps keep some of the dirt and dust from tracking in. Now if I could just teach the cats to wipe their paws. 🐈
Oh cats are the worst. Dirty feet prints on upper surfaces. I knew you were being sarcastic,I just went with it. I got rid of all carpet when I bought my house. All porcelain tile or hardwood now. Sooo much easier to clean spills and dirty dog footprints. I have taught one dog to wipe his feet but the others are just intransigent slobs.

I frequently wear western (cowboy) boots. Some pairs are quite difficult to remove with out a boot jack. I have several but I don't travel with one. So I guess I would not be allowed in 2/3 of amercian homes. Oh, well, their loss.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3
Back