Food & Recipes

In the interests of international co-operation and mutual understanding, and also because I am a greedy pig, I wish to discover how to prepare this dish that our dear American cousins refer to as 'biscuits and gravy'. Porks sausage seems to be involved in many recipes, but I'd like to get the inside track on how to prepare it.

In the interests of international co-operation and mutual understanding, and also because I am a greedy pig, I wish to discover how to prepare this dish that our dear American cousins refer to as 'biscuits and gravy'. Porks sausage seems to be involved in many recipes, but I'd like to get the inside track on how to prepare it.
I can’t say how other people make it. But I am happy to share my method. This is from memory so i will try jot to forget anything. :)

EZkisSoGT8qvA8ulLC0J0Q.jpeg
Biscuits:

2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk

Make sure all the ingredients are cold.
Mix the dry ingredients
Cut in the butter (I grate the butter. It’s fast and effective. Just make sure. It’s not melted. Should end up wlcrumbly looking)
Mix in the buttermilk to make a dough.
Turn it out onto counter, flatten it to about 1”, fold it over and repeat a few times.

Get it to about 1” thick and cut it using a round biscuit cutter. This recipe should make 6 to 8 biscuits depending on how big you make them. Bake at 400F for 12 or so minutes. If you want, you can add a tablespoon of sugar to the recipe, but I usually don’t. You can also put a little milk or egg wash on the top before baking to make them prettier. I don’t usually do that either.

Gravy

Cook a lbs of sausage. My grandma always used jimmy bean breakfast sausage, but my kids like spicy Italian sausage. It’s really up to you. Set it aside and get rid of the grease. Wipe out the oan.

make a roux with 1/2 cups butter and 1/2 cup flour. Let it cook for a few minutes over medium heat. You don’t want it to get dark. Just cook out the flour taste.

Add 2 cups of milk… better at room temp. Whisk that in so you don’t have lumps. Then stir it constantly until it starts to thicken. Add salt and pepper until it tastes good. You can also throw some red pepper flakes in if you want to make it a little spicy.

Once it starts to get thick, add the sausage back in and stir it up.

That’s it. I used to make it for the kids at least once a month.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back