Food & Recipes

Sorry, what is ahi? Google tells me it's a kind of tuna

Yes, it’s tuna. It’s sold as Ahi out here.
Back in the day fisherman would pull up to the airport in their pickup trucks loaded with tuna they just caught and had too much of.

They’d sell big slabs of it, cheap, because, again, they just had too much. Five pounds of fresh tuna for ten bucks.

That sounds even better to me

Shrimp or tuna, it’s a recipe from Northern Italy called Peasant Shrimp (or tuna)

Just returning fisherman would meet vegetable farmers, trade, then all cook together and drink wine before they all went home. That’s the dish they’d make.

What's for dinner this weekend? I'm looking forward to cooking some maple/bourbon braised chicken thighs tonight with pearl couscous.

What's for dinner this weekend? I'm looking forward to cooking some maple/bourbon braised chicken thighs tonight with pearl couscous.
Penne rustica tonight, a cowboy skillet pie tomorrow, and potentially pork piccata sunday. Recently started planning meals each day on sundays, so we don't end up with a bunch of ingredients that go bad at the end of the month.

Penne rustica tonight, a cowboy skillet pie tomorrow, and potentially pork piccata sunday. Recently started planning meals each day on sundays, so we don't end up with a bunch of ingredients that go bad at the end of the month.
That's smart. I'm just not that well organized. We try to do a roast or something that takes a little longer on Sundays in the hopes of enticing our adult kids over for dinner. But I generally think about dinner during the day and then go to the grocery store on the way home from work. Historically, even when I do try to plan ahead, I end up changing my mind and just spending more money. :)

Penne rustica I know, but what's a cowboy skillet?

Right now, though, I am on a bit of a braised meat kick. A lot of chicken thighs (cheap and tasty) and beef chuck roasts with a few ox tails and lamb shanks thrown in.

Last edited:
That's smart. I'm just not that well organized. We try to do a roast or something that takes a little longer on Sundays in the hopes of enticing our adult kids over for dinner. But I generally think about dinner during the day and then go to the grocery store on the way home from work. Historically, even when I do try to plan ahead, I end up changing my mind and just spending more money. :)

Penne rustica I know, but what's a cowboy skillet?

Right now, though, I am on a bit of a braised meat kick. A lot of chicken thighs (cheap and tasty) and beef chuck roasts with a few ox tails and lamb shanks thrown in.
pretty much take a beef casserole, put some peppers and spice in it, and make it look a bit like a pot pie. Bonus is you can use whatever veggies you want in it (i think we've got onion garlic, bell peppers and chili peppers, so that'll be it for us) which makes it good for the end of the week when we've got left over ingredients.

pretty much take a beef casserole, put some peppers and spice in it, and make it look a bit like a pot pie. Bonus is you can use whatever veggies you want in it (i think we've got onion garlic, bell peppers and chili peppers, so that'll be it for us) which makes it good for the end of the week when we've got left over ingredients.
sounds good. And speaking of good, I’d better get moving. I’m just winging (pardon the pun) this chicken dish, so we’ll see if it’s as good as I hope it will be. 🤞

Back