Do You Study ____ -ryu karate?

isshinryuronin

Senior Master
Reaction score
This started as part of my post #90 in the thread "Training in Multiple Dojos," but I took it out as it was already too long. In that thread I brought up "continuity" and will expand on that here. We are familiar with many karate styles: isshin-ryu, goju-ryu, shorin-ryu, chito-ryu, wado-ryu, uechi-ryu and others. That's a lot of "ryu's!" But what does ryu mean?

Looking at the kanji for ryu it can be seen that the bottom portion contains the element of "river" (vertical lines). If you have a patch or certificate with your style's name in Japanese, you can see it. The literal definition of the entire ryu kanji can be defined as "flow." A river flows and transports its waters downstream over time. Is ryu just a cool word to mean "style" or did the old masters have something in mind? Of what relevance is this to TMA? Does it have any effect on the way you view your art?

Yeah when I discovered that ryu was more akin to "flow" or "stream" like a river... it really opened something up to me.

Not some rigid dead structure... but something flowing, living, and constantly moving. And how downstreams often have forks that separate the water, they flow naturally and unimpeded. I often see many stark traditionalists say "oh if only karate were unified and became one, and back to how it was", well.... I don't see it that way. I see the different "streams" and styles as simply a natural evolution and expression of different principles and emphases. Each style is a beautiful manifestation, and whilst having its roots in karate of old, has been passed down a different stream.

And it really helped me to appreciate and honour all the different styles and what they're all about. Karate is along a spectrum, each having a different focus or emphasis (same with all martial arts really), they don't have to contain every single element of every martial art.

Just like how the simple flower, how many natural permutations and variations there are... None are more flower-like than the others huh? I very much see the different ryu like this :). As a living stream that we draw from and explore.

(Thank you also for bringing up wonderful topics to explore. I feel we would have lots to talk about haha)

I see the different "streams" and styles as simply a natural evolution and expression of different principles and emphases. Each style is a beautiful manifestation, and whilst having its roots in karate of old, has been passed down a different stream.
I appreciate what you're saying and there is truth and insight to it. But to be technically correct (and a bit of a-hole, just for fun :)) this geographic scenario is backwards. I had a class in Fluvial Physiography, the study of landforms made by flowing water, and I assure you that a river is composed of streams combining, not separating into different ones. But then, again, if you're travelling upstream and there's a tidal surge, your example is fully correct. o_O

(The exception is when the river ends in flat terrain it breaks up into many short rivulets and forms a delta. But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. :p My apologies. To continue...)

This offers a whole different look at interpretation. If you take the many different stream branches, they combine into one river and all flow into the same ocean (the void?). We can ponder the philosophical ramifications on TMA this can lead to as well.

So, whether travelling upstream where the one becomes many, or downstream where the many become one, the river flows and its waters have been "passed down." Of course, in modern times, we have sometimes disturbed this natural flow by building dams to manipulate it to our liking.

But while such change can have benefit like electrical production, it also causes some areas to flood and others to become dry, affecting vegetation and wildlife (also had classes in these subjects) and their "way" (do) ;). So, changes to flow, changes to the ryu have to be carefully considered less its natural beauty and value become diminished.

Well, this river ran deeper than I expected. It did give me the chance to use 4 emojis in a single post! I know it seems like I smoked some whacky tobacky before posting, but perhaps it provided some entertainment and things to think about. If not, just chalk it up to me getting senile.

Hahaha 4 emojis noted!

Yes I do like that take on things too :). I guess I mean just the phenomenon of water separating into different divots and pathways (not necessarily ones leading to the ocean, I am no good with water body designations too!), but that is very interesting, understand what you mean and can appreciate that perspective :). I still feel like it's just a part of general evolution, nothing stays the same. Like ryu is the passing on of a tradition. It's the same water, but as it travels it's constantly changing in formation, picking stuff up along the way, gaining velocity and flowing different direction naturally... even though the same essence.

I like metaphors too 🤣 water is too easy!

many karate styles: isshin-ryu, goju-ryu, shorin-ryu, chito-ryu, wado-ryu, uechi-ryu and others. That's a lot of "ryu's!" But what does ryu mean?
In another thread, I said, "When you train a front kick (or an upward block), do you care which MA style that you are training?"

- Can a isshin-ryu guy do the front kick (or upward block) any differently from a goju-ryu guy does?
- What could be the difference?
- If there is no difference then what does that mean?

Last edited:
Can a isshin-ryu guy do the front kick (or upward block) any differently from a goju-ryu guy does?
- What could be the difference?
- If there is no difference then what does that mean?
Front kicks are much the same, but in the case of upward blocks isshinryu is a little unique. We angle the block outward a little more and strike with the muscled part of the arm rather than the boney part. That is part of our "ryu."

But in general, most of the Okinawan styles are much the same. The place is small and there was much cross-pollination. The concept of different named "styles" didn't really emerge till around early 1930's. A little earlier than that, names weren't even given to the techniques. It was just, "block a head punch like this..." or kick him in the nuts like this..." and the master would demonstrate for his disciple. Nothing was written down. I think it was the introduction of karate into the schools and the teaching of larger groups that required things to have names and labels. Certainly, Japanese culture demanded it.

Just as all rivers are similar in the basic principles like being wet, flowing to lower elevations, erosion and transporting sediment, width affecting velocity, etc., all ryu are similar in the basic principles. Like regional accents, the grammar and vocabulary are mostly the same, just differing in pronunciation and slang, and perhaps phrasing. But it's still the same language that can be understood by all. That's why switching from one Okinawan style to another is often not that hard once karate is understood.

Latest Discussions

Back