BJJ is my Passion

If a person wants to be a martial artist (in the sense of someone who is learning how to fight) and they are only studying BJJ and their BJJ class only covers ground grappling - then they are going to be severely limited. They will quite likely run into problems if they ever get into a real fight.
I'd find the reverse more likely.

You don't think sumo is suitable for fighting?
Everything but the excess 100-200 lbs part.

Don't get me wrong, I love sumo style. But watching two obese men grappling is like watching "My 600 Pound Life" over and over again. I just get tired and go to bed.

I'd find the reverse more likely.
I don't quite follow. You think that a BJJ practitioner who includes striking, clinching, and takedowns in his training will have more of a problem in a real fight than one who only practices groundfighting?
You don't think sumo is suitable for fighting?
Speaking as an amateur Sumo practitioner, I think Sumo can help develop certain skills and attributes which are useful in a fight. But that's not what it's for. Sumo practitioners are training to compete in the dohyo, not worrying about "hey, this wide stance leaves me open for a groin kick" or "I need to work more on my knife disarms."

Everything but the excess 100-200 lbs part.

Don't get me wrong, I love sumo style. But watching two obese men grappling is like watching "My 600 Pound Life" over and over again. I just get tired and go to bed.

If you stick with it long enough, you will start to see and appreciate the skill and technique.

I don't quite follow. You think that a BJJ practitioner who includes striking, clinching, and takedowns in his training will have more of a problem in a real fight than one who only practices groundfighting?

The point is that I would more expect a striker with no grappling experience to have more problems than a grappler with no striking experience.

Last edited:

Speaking as an amateur Sumo practitioner, I think Sumo can help develop certain skills and attributes which are useful in a fight. But that's not what it's for. Sumo practitioners are training to compete in the dohyo, not worrying about "hey, this wide stance leaves me open for a groin kick" or "I need to work more on my knife disarms."
Sumai

The point is that I would more expect a striker with no grappling experience to have more problems than a grappler with no striking experience.
There's a legitimate argument to be made for that. However, it's less convincing if the grappler only does ground grappling and isn't adept at clinching and throwing.

What is this expectation based upon?

Hello Guys my name is Xeshawn BJJ is My Passion , i am here to connect with your guys who have the same interest of BJJ like me.

Hiya - welcome to the forum - many of us share your passion!

There's a legitimate argument to be made for that. However, it's less convincing if the grappler only does ground grappling and isn't adept at clinching and throwing.
Yeah, but I don't know anyone who does ground grappling without having at least a few good pragmatic takedowns

Back